Safe Online Shop?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Safe Online Shop?

Postby Capo » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey Guys
I am looking at investing in a GPS watch (possibly the Fenix 5x) and am would love to hear from you what site you use and your opinion of the site.
Fun and Discovery Starts where the trail Ends.
Capo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Safe Online Shop?

Postby slparker » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm

Wiggle.co.uk is a cycling / outdoor shop that is safe and reputable and has gps watches.
I recently bought a suunto through them and have bought hundreds of dollars worth of bike kit and running shoes over the years.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:33 pm

Capo wrote:Hey Guys
I am looking at investing in a GPS watch (possibly the Fenix 5x) and am would love to hear from you what site you use and your opinion of the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby roysta » Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:35 pm

There are plenty of reputable online sites and you don't necessarily need to go offshore.
Wiggle.com.au is ok

roysta

Postby Chunder fuzz » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:36 am

Wild fire sports or pushys are good IME.

One thing to be mindful of is the warranty, if you need to use the warranty or have the watch fixed at some point, the watch needs to be returned to the service centre in the country it came from.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:59 am

I've also used Wiggle numerous times for cycling gear and some other stuff with no problems. I had to return a faulty item once and the process was a bit long winded but they replaced it with no drama. Their competitor Chain Reaction Cycles might be worth a look too depending on what you need (they don't have hiking/camping gear). I've also used them a bit too, and again with no issues. In the past they have occasionally offered free shipping with no minimum amount, which was good when I only needed a few bits and pieces. Both of these seem to have started as dedicated cycling sites but expanded in recent years to cover other outdoor pursuits.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Capo » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the suggestion, sadly non of those sites have the watch. Has anyone used the following site before and what was your thoughts on them? https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/garmi ... with-black

Phil
Fun and Discovery Starts where the trail Ends.
Capo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby RonK » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:45 pm

You do seem to be rather over-cautious. We are in the 21st century now and internet shopping is not a new phenomenon anymore. :wink:

Wildfire Sports is a reputable Australian store that I and I'm sure other members have purchased from. However the Fenix 5X has only recently been released and they do not yet have stocks, but you can pre-order.

At a brief glance, the item you linked is also available for pre-order from:
Ryda
BikeBug
Johnny Appleseed
Pushys
Highly Tuned Athletes
99 Bikes

All reputable Australian stores. Take your pick, pre-order and wait. With a new product I doubt there will be any price differences between them.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby nezumi » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:45 pm

johnw wrote:I've also used Wiggle numerous times for cycling gear and some other stuff with no problems... Their competitor Chain Reaction Cycles might be worth a look too depending on what you need (they don't have hiking/camping gear).

Wiggle bought out Chain Reaction last year: http://www.bikeradar.com/au/news/articl ... les-46354/
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby madmacca » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 8:14 pm

I was looking at the Fenix 5 series too, and while the 5X definitely appeals to my inner geek, I am sceptical of the real-life utility of mapping on a watch-sized screen, and will probably go for a 5 instead.

Although my understanding is that Garmin's shipping of Fenix 5s to Australian retailers is lagging behind other markets, and it will be well into May before significant numbers of watches are available.
madmacca

Region: Victoria

Postby roysta » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 1:24 pm

Try Johnny Appleseed, they're ok and will be cheaper than many

roysta