Hilleberg.....hunting?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hilleberg.....hunting?

Postby Dutchy » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 4:53 pm

after stumbling after hillebergs facebook page called "hilleberg hunting" i'm very much in 2 minds about supporting a company who so publicly promotes hunting with slogans like "hunt anything, sleep anywhere'.... so my purchase of a Tarra is on hold and looking at options.... so far, only the Exped Orion comes to mind... any other suggestions? full 4 season tent, strong in windy and snowy conditions, roomy 2 person tent, free standing....
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Hilleberg.....hunting?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 5:15 pm

There are many on this forum who do not share that point of view Dutchy
While I don't get out very often I really enjoy my time doing so and don't forget that the culture in Europe and Noth America is very, very different to here.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby sambar358 » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 5:45 pm

Unfortunately we in Australia have never had a strong cultural recognition of hunting as is evident in Europe and the USA/Canada etc. From my perspective it's good to see large companies such as Hilleberg support hunting as they've obviously recognized that plenty of hunters also use their tents and outdoor gear. Swarvoski is another multi-national that makes fine optics for use by all outdoor enthusiasts and they also openly acknowledge that hunters form a large portion of their client base world-wide. Swarovski make a range of fine crystal and very expensive jewellery too......so anyone with any of this is also supporting a company that views hunters world-wide as legitimate clients. And of course there are many more if one cares to look.

But in the end it just comes down to personal choice......if you are uncomfortable supporting a company that supports hunters then seek what you want elsewhere. And I do the same really.....but the opposite.....I won't buy anything from any company that Jan Cameron has anything to do with as she's openly anti-hunting. And of course there are plenty of other options open to me with companies that don't oppose hunting or as Hilleberg does.....acknowledge hunting as just another legitimate recreational activity. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 5:47 pm

There's a difference between accepting hunting and promoting it. The slogan 'Hunt anything...' is highly problematic in itself.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkon » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 6:11 pm

Are you sure that its an official Hilleberg site. The official Hilleberg site has none of the references that you have mentioned while the hunting site is full of it.
I'm in a Hillberg owners group on fb and they have deleted two threads about hunting recently. I'd say that the owners one is not an official site but they do monitor it.
I'm not anti hunting by any means and in the end its your personal choice.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 6:34 pm

It's funny how the mind works because when you quoted :"Anything Anywhere' my own thought was "Bandersnatch on Ganymede"
Yep there are links on the Hilleberg site
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 6:36 pm

I hate hunting and have never seen that on the Hillenberg site.
I have 2 Hilleberg tents and have no regrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby benjabimon » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 6:49 pm

Is hunting the rich acceptable?
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 8:58 pm

benjabimon wrote:Is hunting the rich acceptable?

I suppose that if you are happy to forego the wide range of social subsidies, to say nothing of health, defence and education; that are financed directly or indirectly by the "rich", your question could be debated.

north-north-west wrote:There's a difference between accepting hunting and promoting it. The slogan 'Hunt anything...' is highly problematic in itself.

As MD said "it's funny how the mind works". I can see now from your comment how that phrase "hunt anything, anywhere" could seem problematic.

What is implicit (but not stated) is "Hunt anything that it is legal and ethical to hunt, anywhere that it is legal and ethical to hunt it". Hunters would read it as I have, whereas someone else could perhaps interpret the phrase quite literally.

So to me, it isn't problematic, but I acknowledge that to some it could be. Interesting language, English :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dutchy » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 10:17 pm

yes, its an official Hilleberg site including shares of photos with people posing with trophy kills.... And thats where my beef is with hunters. Hunting for food, as much i still don't agree with it to some extend i can deal with, hunting pest animals, go for it.... but killing for the thrill and trophies I appalling. And I'm sorry, but many thrill killers play it down by saying they do it for food. It's no different to believing Japanese whalers killing them for science. I'm not saying Hilleberg can't sell to hunters, of course they can. But the public promotion of hunting like they do is a step too far, especially with a slogan like that....
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 11:05 pm

I personally wouldn't get so emotionally involved. If whatever tent is the best design for you, then go for it.

BTW I don't hunt - it holds no interest to me. I might hunt to eat, but, despite being professionally fine with humans in various states if repair, I'm not interested in cutting up animals. I do fish, and occasionally eat one. I own 2 Hillebergs and reckon they're great.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby sambar358 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 7:22 am

Dutchy.....I've done a fair bit of overseas hunting (USA & Canada) and one of the stipulations from the relevant state Game Departments is that full recovery of all edible meat is mandatory from any animals taken and this is adhered to fully by any outfitter as their license to operate depends on it. So apart from the guts......it all comes out and usually this means physically packing it out to a trail head somewhere often taking several days or using mules or horses to do the job. This applies to all game whether it is taken by an international hunter or a local : deer, elk, moose, sheep, antelope, goats, bears....ensuring the animals are fully utilized and the meat not wasted. And from my experiences in the US & Canada this aspect of the hunt is adhered to 100%....regardless of the effort involved in retrieving the animal.

The Hilleberg Hunting FB page has a few images of their tents pitched in remote hunting locations in the US and Canada where the above would apply......their "Hunt Anything.....Anywhere" slogan to me doesn't mean "Kill Anything......Everywhere" but rather in connection with those hunt location images featuring hunters using Hilleberg tents to me it's implying that Hilleberg tents are made tough and will handle anything dished-out by mother nature......which from my experience with them is quite correct. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 7:45 am

I do hope that all of you who hate hunting are vegetarians, because hating hunting and eating meat is so hypocritical Slaughterhouses are far more stressful for an animal than hunting ever could be
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 5:42 pm

Totally agree. Not a hunter but I've always thought "if you eat meat you should be willing (in theory) to get it yourself". Otherwise you're just outsourcing the killing...and moral responsibility. As long as humane as possible.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 5:53 pm

Are you particularly after a dome tent Dutchy? Freestanding a necessity?
I've been looking around for an alternate to our Hillebergs (Nallo) and notice Tatonka making some similar designs. A solid company.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 6:45 pm

Check the feedback on the Tatonkas Some of them are much more fragile and liable to damage it seems.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 6:58 pm

Do you have a link Moondog, maybe by message if Dutchy's not interested? I was looking to see how the PU treatment held up, was my main concern.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby aronwidforss » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm not looking for a debate, but I would be very interested in why different people find hunting immoral. I am looking to get a hunter's license myself and currently only eat meat from wild animals and reindeer.
aronwidforss
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Nuts. Comments in my query post a while go when eBait had some cheap Tatonka tunnels for sale

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24838&p=317282&hilit=Tatonka#p317282
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 7:34 pm

aronwidforss wrote:I'm not looking for a debate, but I would be very interested in why different people find hunting immoral. I am looking to get a hunter's license myself and currently only eat meat from wild animals and reindeer.

My experience is that Australia is the only country that seems to have this almost religious debate, there are some very intellignet rational people who are against hunting and meat eating for ethical reasons and some real nutters like Laury Leavy.
Honestly I do not know, I've used firearms and other projectile tools almost my whole life and held a full firearms licence since I was 18YO and I simply assumed until recently that this is natural and normal for everybody.
Can we call it quits here please and re-open this discussion in the correct part of the forum
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:29 pm

aronwidforss wrote:I'm not looking for a debate, but I would be very interested in why different people find hunting immoral. I am looking to get a hunter's license myself and currently only eat meat from wild animals and reindeer.

Sorry, Moondog, but, whilst this post is less relevant to tent choice, I am really impressed that someone can only eat meat that they have hunted themselves.....a bit like your comment asking whether non hunters were vegetarians. This guy clearly isn't.

But, we digress...well soon be back to the "vegan bushwalking club" topic,,which didn't go anywhere useful.

I still reckon Hillebergs are ants pants.
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby aronwidforss » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 5:31 pm

andrewa wrote:Sorry, Moondog, but, whilst this post is less relevant to tent choice, I am really impressed that someone can only eat meat that they have hunted themselves.....a bit like your comment asking whether non hunters were vegetarians. This guy clearly isn't.

That's what happens when you get pissed of with the food industry whilst your father is a hunter.
aronwidforss
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 5:50 pm

Let it roll on.
Dutchy get the tent that suits you best.

I eat meat but the sanitised butcher and supermarket version. Say at a kilo a week it would take me about two years to eat one cow/steer.
Where possible I choose free range and organic.
Other than pepperoni I don't eat pigs because the poor buggers are born, live and die in a shed.

Have a mate who grew up to learn how to prepare his own meat. Camping was a case of hunt your own.
I rarely kill bugs but I'm all for hunting feral cats, dogs etc. Won't win the battle but should be more of it.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby markg » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 6:49 pm

I have seen this site. Seems a lot of the hunting fraternity find their tents suitable and share that with others like minded. Not for me to tell others if they should , would ,could, hunt if they wanted to. I had to edit this as I had never noticed the Hilleberg logo at the corner of the FB page, my apologies. Be that as it may, they sell outdoor equipment at the end of the day so one would expect them to look for avenues to expand/sustain their business. Though I don't hunt, I respect someones right to do so, and the law says they can. I would hazard a guess and say if we looked into a the backgrounds of a whole stack of companies we would come up with some finds that might shock or disappoint us.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sambar358 » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 6:54 am

You're pretty-well on-the-money there Mark......as I was curious as the whether or not the "Hilleberg Hunting" FB page was indeed done by Hilleberg I sent them an email asking that and received a reply today. This is it :

Hello Doug,

Thank you for your email. We are happy that you like the tents and that they have served you well.

Yes, the Hilleberg Hunting page is ours. We have a very strong and passionate hunting community here in North American and in other pockets of the world who spend long weeks and nights out in some very remote locations in very extreme environments and we are here to support them in their outdoor pursuits. And yes we support legitimate and legal hunting. We believe in sustainable wildlife and natural resource management as well as increased access to public lands.
We decided to have separate Facebook and also Instagram accounts for Hunting since the target audience and interests are different and we have found this to be a very nice solution.

We hope you like it.

Best regards,

Shannon
+1 (425) 883-0101
shannon.marie@hilleberg.com | www.hilleberg.com |
14790 NE 95th St | Redmond, WA 98052 | USA |
Last edited by sambar358 on Thu 06 Apr, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 8:56 am

Nothing better than spit roast in my hilleberg .
walkerchris77

Postby benjabimon » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 9:42 am

stry wrote:

I suppose that if you are happy to forego the wide range of social subsidies, to say nothing of health, defence and education; that are financed directly or indirectly by the "rich", your question could be debated.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Does their wealth trickle down?
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 4:41 pm

benjabimon wrote:
stry wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Does their wealth trickle down?

All the way down your chin, so wear a bib.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby rurik » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 3:32 pm

Hunting seems more natural then large scale agriculture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Dutchy » Sat 08 Apr, 2017 8:44 pm

First of all..... yes, i'm vegetarian....

second of all (not trying to start a hunting debate), hunting for all humans wouldn't be sustainable, thats why there is a "meat industry", because otherwise we'd exhaust the "natural resource" within a few years. Over population by humans is the issue, moderation is the key, one of the things humans suck at.

I have no problem with Hilleberg selling to hunters, not even aiming their product at them. But slogans like "hunt anything, sleep anywhere" DO bother me. It doesn't promote legal and sustainable hunting. Nor do the photos showing people with their trophy kills.

Splitting up their facebook pages shows they're trying to hide that part of the business from the other. For good reasons.

Somehow Tatonka doesn't appeal to me. Looking at Exped Orion and Eureka High Camp or K-2. Tough call, as I believe Hilleberg to be the best tent. But like the Bunning sausages or Dutch "kroketten", my morals stop me from purchasing them....
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment