StratoSpire 2 vs Triplex

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

StratoSpire 2 vs Triplex

Postby phenomenomenom » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 2:46 pm

These are somewhat different classes of tent, but that's what it has boiled down to for me. I'm having a hard time choosing, so any tips you all have would be appreciated!

It'll be used mainly in QLD and northern NSW, with the occasional trip to Tasmania (and maybe NZ) during the warmer months. I don't hike solo, so it'll always be shared with a mate. Enough room for two with gear is ideal, but I suppose bags can go outside if necessary.

The TarpTent StratoSpire 2:
  • Dual Walled
  • Weighs 1300g total
  • Approx. AU$ 600 Shipped
Of course, if I got the StratoSpire I would also get the solid inner bumping it up closer to AU$800.

The Z-Packs Triplex:
  • Single Wall
  • Weighs 780g total
  • Approx. AU$ 1030 Shipped

That's a saving of 520g, at a cost of $430. Both seem excellent (and expensive...). I haven't experienced issues with condensation before. How much of a problem is it with the single wall tent?
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: StratoSpire 2 vs Triplex

Postby Neo » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Phenom
I was concerned about condensation when choosing a tent and got some good replies. Search here for 'humidity'.
I went with a TT Protrail and its been fine. Use it on the mid north coast NSW with mid 70s to high 80s %humidity.
Rain the day before, very slight condensation in the morning.
Some rain that day and overnight, enough to bother wiping when you wake up.
The most condensation was actually inland in the Central West recently on a foggy morning about 93%. Not much you can do when you can see the water hanging in the air!
Even so no drips (A shape tent) quick and easy to wipe down inside and out. Dried the tent indoors 24hrs later. Will update my review soon.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 5:17 pm

$1030 shipped wll attract duty and GST and associated fees so add that to the total landed cost
All singlewalled tents suffer from condensation at times as do double walled tents sometimes also.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 6:01 pm

I thought the value of the goods before shipping had to be over AU$1000 to attract GST, which this should just squeak under. Confusingly if the value of the goods is over AU$1000 then the GST is charged on the cost of the goods plus freight.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 6:06 pm

No it is calculated on the cost PLUS shipping I double checked to be sure it may have changed recently
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 6:53 pm

Fair enough, where did you find that info Moondog? The rules I'm aware of applied to the customs value, which is basically all costs to get it to the place of export in the foreign country (this can be a post office in our usual case) so effectively did not include shipping charges. If the customs value is more than AU$1000 then the GST is calculated on the value of taxable import which is customs value + shipping and insurance + duty.

(sorry for thread hijack)
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 8:09 pm

Alternatively ask shipper to "down value" item....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Strider » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 9:43 pm

undercling-mike wrote:I thought the value of the goods before shipping had to be over AU$1000 to attract GST, which this should just squeak under. Confusingly if the value of the goods is over AU$1000 then the GST is charged on the cost of the goods plus freight.

Pretty sure it is import duty that is payable, not GST? Changes the calculations a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 9:54 pm

I've got this bookmarked which relates to carrying stuff in yourself
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo/Clea
As an online customer the seller should account for any taxes etc in the price you pay?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phenomenomenom » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 10:38 pm

Here's what I found:
Department Immigration and Border Protection wrote:Generally the value used is the free on board (FOB) value of the goods, which is the value of the goods excluding overseas transport and insurance.

Source: https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Carg/CMR-/Customs-Duty-Calculation-Routines. I love the "Generally" bit.

If the value of the goods is over $1000, GST must be paid, as well as $50 import declaration. Additional duty rates vary depending on what the good is. (dutycalculator.com).

In any case, that $1030 includes US$ 30 of tent pegs. If this order were to be above the GST threshold, I could just remove them to bump the value down.

neo wrote:As an online customer the seller should account for any taxes etc in the price you pay?

Overseas retailers are not currently required to collect Australian GST. This will change on July 1st for large retailers generating more than $75 000 of Australian revenue. It's called 'the Amazon tax.' All Australian retail businesses are required to collect GST. That applies to the online world too!

neo wrote:Search here for 'humidity'.

Thanks! There were some good tips in your thread. Things are looking good for the Triplex. 780g between two people has its appeal. It's a hard choice.
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 10:42 pm

Virtually every retail seller specifically states in the conditions of sale that duties and taxes are the responsibility of the buyer. In the old days this was called FOB - free on board - the supplier gets it to the port/edge of the warehouse dock and then it is the buyers responsibility. The standard alternative was CIF - cost, insurance, freight which was much less common and where the supplier took full responsibility to get the goods into your warehouse/business.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 7:19 am

Can't speak to zpacks but have the ss2: traded it for my old single wall double rainbow as too small and just don't like having to be careful not to touch sides with a single wall. Ss2 is really good, looks like more headroom than the zpacks. Only issue is it can be difficult to put up, more an acquired skill.... Strong too -my son does wwe wrestling in it when camping and it's still in one piece
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phenomenomenom » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 2:56 pm

Has anyone on here used a duplex or triplex? Still struggling decide between the two..
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:07 pm

Here are my thoughts on the free standing double walled duplex: https://jpquinton.com/2016/08/24/first- ... flex-tarp/

Since writing the review I've used the tent about 30 nights. Still like it a lot. I will take it on my PCT sobo walk in July.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Drew » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:00 am

A friend of mine was considering a SS2 but ended up getting a Triplex. He's quite a gram counter so that was probably the deciding factor. He's planning to use it in Iceland this year. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I recently bought a SS2. I'm yet to use it in anything other than very benign conditions but am planning to take it on 2 high altitude hikes in Peru in June. The space in the SS2 is great (steeper walls thanks to the corner struts, which the Triplex lacks). With options for solid and mesh inners the SS2 is more versatile (I foolishly only ordered the mesh when I bought the tent and have just forked out on the solid inner for the Peru trip).
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby biggbird » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 7:55 am

I recently purchased a Triplex, and so far really like it. One thing you do have to consider is that the quoted weight on the Zpacks site does not include poles or pegs. If you walk with walking poles, that's fine, but otherwise you'll need to buy some tent poles and add that to the weight. I bought some from Ruta Locura. All up, with poles/pegs/extra guylines, my Triplex will end up weighing ~1200g, making the weight equation much less appealing. I'm not sure whether you have to factor in the same things with the SS2.

However, there were other reasons I wanted to buy the Triplex, one of the biggest being the fact that cuben doesn't stretch. I find the stretch you get with wet silnylon tents irritating. Not a deal breaker by any means, as I still use my Nallo and Scarp 2, but it would be nice to not have to retension all the time. Some people find this more annoying than others.

I'm currently living in FNQ (I miss Tassie!) and took my Triplex up to Cape Tribulation to spend a couple of nights exploring the Daintree. I pitched under a tree on a grassy site, and it rained for at least half the time I was there. And I mean proper rain! I ended up being pitched on top of a puddle. Everything inside stayed dry, and there was minimal condensation even with the storm doors closed, despite me being in pretty ideal circumstances for it. There was a bit of a breeze, which certainly helped, but I was impressed.

Anyway, hope that helps you somewhat, and feel free to ask any more questions of me if you have them, I'll attempt to answer them!
biggbird

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 9:16 am

Pegs are included in the weight of the SS 1/2 (6 of them) but they work better with an extra two pegs, for the apex guylines.
We have 2 types of poles for it (if you don't want to use trekking poles) but I recommend the heavier type called by us Vertical Support Poles (under Extras, 4th page)
12.4 mm, much stronger than the usual tent poles supplied for it by us and others.
122g each, $16 USD.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phenomenomenom » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I've pretty much decided on a bog standard Triplex with trekking pole cups to bring out the edges a little if needed.

Any of these tents have more space, are lighter and definitely more waterproof than what I have at the moment. I think I'd be happy with them all!
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tim-brissie » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 1:29 pm

I have my TT Strat 2 in the car in West End right now if you want to have a look to cement your decision?
tim-brissie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby phenomenomenom » Sat 27 May, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks Tim. I missed your post, sorry! In the end I bought a used Triplex. I haven't used it in the wild yet, but it looks great so far.

If you're still around and are keen, it might be interesting to set them up next to each other and take some pictures. It could help someone who stumbles across this thread in the future!
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment