insulated vest as an outer garment

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

insulated vest as an outer garment

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 11:35 am

Bringing this idea back to the forefront of my mind.
A lot of us with climbing experience use belay parkas as a warm overgarment, sized to fit over everything.
Reading my last sales email from PHD in the UK I'm wondering why more of us do not use a hooded vest in the same way. I think PHD mat be the only company tht is making and offering this type of over the top garment but it makes perfet sense to me
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/kappa-mounta ... lated-vest
But I would want one as long as the leather "commando" vests so a DIY/MYOG would suit me better. vests are also much easier to sew and easier to wear over your raincoat/storm parka.
The main difference between this idea and the "Commando" vest is really the attached hood
A good week-end project not that I need any more projects
This is one garment that would really benefit from being highly water resistant if not waterproof
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: insulated vest as an outer garment

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 6:58 pm

My main cold working wear was always a thick vest over a hoodie, as it allowed a better heat distribution, combined with flexibility. in colder weather, or when stopping, it all got covered with a large shell parka. I rarely use a hood as I don't like how it limits my hearing and vision, but they do have their place.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm talking about a hooded vest used over the raincoat or parka tho, rather than a full belay parka
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 7:03 pm

yes yes, more a comment of the effectiveness of vests than a particular method. I should mention that most of my canadian hoodies were pretty solidly insulated. I'm a fan of the vest, my current favorite is a wool lined oil-skin from a salvo. I am of the opinion that a large amount limb insulation is wasted unless resting.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment