Gear check - tent, bag etc

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gear check - tent, bag etc

Postby acham » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 8:59 am

Hey guys

Looking at getting back in to bushwalking and could do with a pair of eyes going over my proposed basics list, checking I'm on the right track. Prices listed, so if you think there's better for the money let me know.

Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba NX (and footprint) ($580 shipped)
Bag: Mont Zodiac 500 (311 shipped)
Pack: TBD, have a Mystery Ranch at the minute but it's only 21l.
Pad: I'm thinking of going a cot here, the Thermarest Luxurylight. ($280 shipped). My back's a bit temperamental and I don't think a pad is the best option, so I'm willing to take the hit on the weight.
Stove: I went MSR Windburner here, for I think $250. Not the lightest (none of my proposed gear is) as I seem to be going for ease of use/comfort over grams with my list - if I live to regret it, it is what it is I suppose.

Proposed use is VIC initially so I'm buying with that in mind, and planning on using it at camp sites as opposed to multi day walks where I'll be carrying all my gear.

If anyone has feedback, or comments let me know - even if it's something I've already bought, for the prices I got things at I reckon I'd be able to sell them for close enough and buy different if the consensus is I've gone *&%$#! wrong.
acham
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Gear check - tent, bag etc

Postby highercountry » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 10:50 am

acham wrote:Pad: I'm thinking of going a cot here, the Thermarest Luxurylight. ($280 shipped). My back's a bit temperamental and I don't think a pad is the best option, so I'm willing to take the hit on the weight.

Have you looked at an Helinox Lite Cot Stretcher?
Their products are very well made.
Slightly heavier than the Thermarest I've been seriously considering one for bicycle touring.
I've been very happy with my Helinox Chair One.
http://www.helinox.com.au/camp-stretchers/lite-cot
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby acham » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:46 am

highercountry wrote:Have you looked at an Helinox Lite Cot Stretcher?
Their products are very well made.
Slightly heavier than the Thermarest I've been seriously considering one for bicycle touring.
I've been very happy with my Helinox Chair One.
http://www.helinox.com.au/camp-stretchers/lite-cot

I haven't mate, I'll have a look at them now. What do you reckon to the Chair One though, I've been tossing up getting a Ground Chair but not sure how much of a necessity it is.

Another question actually, open to anyone. What size pack do people usually carry overnight, or 2 day trips? I've got either a 21 litre pack (too small) or a Gregory Baltoro 75 (too big) with nothing suitable in the middle!
acham
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby highercountry » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 1:59 pm

On my bike I'd consider carrying a Chair One and a stretcher bed. Weight and bulk isn't such a major consideration.
I wouldn't entertain thoughts of carrying both on my back. Different matter if they're both for car or base camp situations.
The Chair One is excellent for me and very good quality.
After anything more than a day or two camping my back and knees start aching especially grovelling around doing everything at ground level.
A table and chairs make for a much more comfortable experience.
The Chair One sits higher off the ground than the Ground Chair, easier to stand up.
Helinox make even taller chairs.
There have been complaints of the legs sinking into soft soil but I think they've remedied that.
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kitty » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 2:20 pm

Hubba Hubba NX is a very nice tent.

Chair one is very comfortable and sturdy but Chair zero is only 510g. If you are not carrying the chair on a multi-day hike then go for Chair One.
http://www.helinox.com.au/lightweight-c ... chair-zero

If you have a temperamental back - consider trying an Aarn pack with balance pockets. It might help (or might not) depending if the packs suits you.
Back Packing Light in Melbourne have them and the guy in the shop, Tim, is the Australian supplier and is experienced with these packs.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby acham » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 2:58 pm

highercountry wrote:On my bike I'd consider carrying a Chair One and a stretcher bed. Weight and bulk isn't such a major consideration.
I wouldn't entertain thoughts of carrying both on my back. Different matter if they're both for car or base camp situations.

I was thinking of them both more for base camp situations, but then I suppose I'd have to get something different for times I was carrying all my gear. Decisions decisions.
acham
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby biggbird » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 3:43 pm

If you're pretty much just car camping (or that's how I interpreted your original post anyway) it shouldn't really matter too much how heavy everything is. Only becomes an issue if you're going to be carry it for any length of time. If that is going to be the case, I guess you have to work out whether having more comforts when you get to camp is going to be nicer to your back than carrying less to get there. Personally I've never bothered with a chair, but others seem to like them. There's always a rock or a log or something to sit on.
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Stew63 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 10:44 am

From Helinox website: Chair Zero out of stock until end of June...
Although I'm an UltraLight hiker these days - slowly ridding myself of so much unnecessary weight - I reckon the Chair Zero would be the one single luxury I'd really enjoy after the end of a days tough hiking even as an UL hiker.
500gms that's a lot of weight though - Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions...
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby davidf » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:15 am

If you have a bad back go as light as possible. Ditch the bed and chair. Get a tarptent or a light mid. Modern mats are ok and carrying a heavy load is more likely to agrevate a bad back. I use a hmg porter pack which is light and comfortable, a tent fly or mid for shelter and have a collection of sleeping bags all synthetic apart from a light down liner bag I got from vinnies for $17. When i share camp my load weight increases which *&^%$#@! me. I would rather be a bit more frugal and save my back.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kitty » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 11:31 am

Stew63 wrote:From Helinox website: Chair Zero out of stock until end of June...
Although I'm an UltraLight hiker these days - slowly ridding myself of so much unnecessary weight - I reckon the Chair Zero would be the one single luxury I'd really enjoy after the end of a days tough hiking even as an UL hiker.
500gms that's a lot of weight though - Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions...

Can get it here if you cannot wait :)
https://www.helinoxstore.com/products/chair-zero
(Prices in US dollars)
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:17 pm

Just realise that if you use a cot [ and having a bad back and ruined hips I see the need] you need more room in whatever tent you use, especially where height is concerned and a cot needs an underquilt when the temperature drops.
If starting again car camping and day walking go cheaper and heavier and wait a while before spending a lot of money
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 12:46 pm

kitty wrote:Can get it here if you cannot wait :)
(Prices in US dollars)

Thanks Kitty - Chair Zero ordered and paid for! AUD$185 including postage from US.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 1:24 pm

Stew63 wrote:
(Prices in US dollars)

Thanks Kitty - Chair Zero ordered and paid for! AUD$185 including postage from US.

That was a quick decision!
biggbird

Region: Tasmania

Postby Stew63 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 6:40 pm

biggbird wrote:
Stew63 wrote:
(Prices in US dollars)

That was a quick decision!

It must have been the very last Chair Zero on the US Helinox website/store as they're now also listed as Sold Out!
Got an email today - mine's on the way already.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 7:25 pm

For insulation beneath a low cot would a ccf mat do the job or is there still the problem of the air gap?

PS I'm very happy with my Helinox gear, if I was going on a tour of the countryside I would get their long version cot!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby nq111 » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:18 pm

Neo wrote:For insulation beneath a low cot would a ccf mat do the job or is there still the problem of the air gap?

CCF would work very well. It works very well in hammocks - the ground issue of lack of cushioning is not an issue but the bulk still is (particularly since you need an extra wide piece for a hammock). But insulation for weight is unreal and so is the price.

On that note acham, have you considered a camping hammock? I don't know your back condition but I know some people with problematic backs swear by sleeping in a hammock. Having said that, I am sure there are people who find it worse for their backs then a normal bed too so if it is something that interests you be sure to test one out first to see how it works out for you.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby Stew63 » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 1:34 pm

Stew63 wrote:
(Prices in US dollars)

Helinox Chair Zero arrived today from overseas! Not bad - ordered on Easter Sunday - arrived on the Wednesday.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kitty » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 3:24 pm

Pretty fast!
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 10:59 pm

Cots work well with underquilts better insulation that way A cot underquilt is small compared to a hammock quilt but you also need a windskirt. Both are easy DIY especially if weight isn't a concern
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment