Wonderful suggestions, thank you all so much! Hadn't seen the Anjan 3 before and it is definitely worth a look.
The better half has a preference for tents with a freestanding frame (or at least semi-freestanding) similar to our current model. I'm happy with pretty simple shelters but he doesn't enjoy the fuss of complicated pitching and he's not keen for that level of minimalism or comparative lack of privacy
I've also seen the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 around on the web as a potential option. Attractive features are the double vestibules and light weight for a freestanding tent. My concern with this tent is that it may not be durable enough for Australian conditions. Any thoughts?
So far the shortlist is:
- One Planet Goondie 2: AUS company, heavier than other options but seems pretty bomber
- Mont Moondance 2: similar to Goondie 2 but a fraction lighter? We have looked at this tent in the Mont Canberra store before and were both really impressed, but not sure how it goes out in the real world
- Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2: lightweight for the style but maybe a bit fragile?
- Hilleberg Anjan 3: prefer this less as it's single vestibule. Not a deal breaker though, as the overall quality, weight and space are really attractive -- also like that it is SWE company as I lived there for a time. Seems like it would do well in NZ/TAS in the warmer months too.
- Tarptent Double Rainbow: very light but unsure about single layer and condensation issues, and also ability to keep out dust etc with mesh going all the way to the ground
Great idea to look into a small separate lightweight tarp as a supplement to a smaller tent if we end up going that route. Ideally we'd like to avoid this if possible, but a good idea as an alternative and well worth considering.
Thanks again all! Appreciate the help