Help with a Macpac minaret (probably dumb question)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Help with a Macpac minaret (probably dumb question)

Postby kibbutzmetal » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi everyone! First time posting here. Also, probably worth mentioning that I’m very new to bushwalking (of the kind the goes beyond a day trip out of Sydney), Therefore this will probably be a really dumb question… Anyway, now that I’m trying to get into more challenging stuff, I went and got myself a Macpac minaret, to do multiday bushwalks. Tried doing a practice pitch, because up to this point I’ve never pitched a tunnel tent, and right away something doesn’t seem to make sense: poles go in the sleeve through one end, but the other end seems sealed shut and I can’t put that end of the pole through the eyelet. This seems weird and unstable… can anyone with experience with this tent tell me what I’m doing wrong??
kibbutzmetal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Help with a Macpac minaret (probably dumb question)

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTHaEQX6jxw

Sorry Not really much help. My Minaret doesn't have the new captive end pole sleeves so I'm not much help
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby kibbutzmetal » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:25 pm

yeah, watched that video before myself. At least now I know that a captive end pole sleeve is actually a thing and i'm not just losing my mind :D thanks!
kibbutzmetal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:37 pm

they still make the minaret?

I retired one about 5 years ago that had done 20 years' service. It had its flaws but it never let me down once. easy to setup and survives awful weather.

enjoy it, it's probably the last tent you'll need to buy.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby philm » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 9:27 am

Also Don't forget to seam seal the tent as I think it comes with a tube of sealer
Good to do before first use to keep the water out!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby sambar358 » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 11:09 am

The grommets on either side of the Minaret tent floor below each pole sleeve point are to allow you to pitch just the inner tent using the velcro loops on the inner to pass the 2 poles through then locate the pole ends in the grommets at either side. While you use the open-side pole sleeve grommet for the pole end to do a "pitch-as-one" setup the other end of the pole is located in the blind sleeve so the 2 grommets below the pole sleeve ends on that side aren't required when you pitch the whole tent as one unit. Hope this helps a bit.

The Minaret is a good strong tent albeit a tad heavy by today's LW standards.....I've been using a NZ-built one for my winter sambar hunting for the past 20 years and it's still rock-solid and 100% weatherproof. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 1:31 pm

What is weird and unstable about it?

The poles are not meant to go through the eyelet at the sealed end. The sealed end is like a pocket and holds the poles in place. Works perfectly on my Macpac Olympus. Very stable, and not at all weird. :-)

The advantage of this method is that you can insert the pole entirely from one spot, and fit the one protruding end through its eyelet, without having to jump over the tent, or walk around it, to fit the far end - the far end is already fitted simply by pushing it through from the near end. Makes pitching the tent just a little easier.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kibbutzmetal » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for clearing things up for me guys! that was very helpful :D
kibbutzmetal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment