The New XA Pro

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

The New XA Pro

Postby Squeak » Mon 01 May, 2017 3:04 pm

I've been using Salomon mids for a few years now. They fit my feet and Im not overly interested in changing brands.
(Zamberlans nearly crippled me)

But Salomon keep changing their range. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I walked 900km in Exit point IIs and they discontinued them, so I went to XA Pros, and walked 1100kms in them and now they seem discontinued. I've messaged the company and had no joy from them.
Does anyone know what the new equivalent model to the XA Pro is?
Squeak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: The New XA Pro

Postby wayno » Mon 01 May, 2017 3:28 pm

they are still listed in their international catalogue

no shortage of them being sold in the states online stores

http://www.gearbuyer.com/bq/salomon/xa% ... ender=mens

but its not uncommon for the local distributor to chop and change what they supply and sell a limited range

the X ultra's have similar tread, deeper but its soft rubber and wears out fast on hard ground...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Mark F » Mon 01 May, 2017 7:57 pm

The constantly changing footwear range seems to be the norm now days for all brands. I had the same issue with the Salomon Synapse (not the current Synapse model which is a winter boot of some sort). I have a pair of X ultras in the box waiting for my second pair of Synapse to bite the dust so I can't comment on durability. I now always try to have my next pair sorted just after starting on the latest ones.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby slparker » Mon 01 May, 2017 8:25 pm

Xa is available from amazon or from mountain designs if you want to buy local. The sole has been updated somewhat or 2017 and has a stickier rubber - other than that it fits the same.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Squeak » Mon 01 May, 2017 11:55 pm

slparker wrote:Xa is available from amazon or from mountain designs if you want to buy local. The sole has been updated somewhat or 2017 and has a stickier rubber - other than that it fits the same.

where are you finding the XA Pro Mid at Mountain Designs??
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/search/p ... on%20boots
Squeak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slparker » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:28 am

Squeak wrote:
slparker wrote:Xa is available from amazon or from mountain designs if you want to buy local. The sole has been updated somewhat or 2017 and has a stickier rubber - other than that it fits the same.

where are you finding the XA Pro Mid at Mountain Designs??
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/search/p ... on%20boots

The shop in Albury, NSW has the 2017 model; or did, 3 weeks ago.
Last edited by slparker on Tue 02 May, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:58 am

I ought to add that if MD are too lazy to update their website wiggle.com and amazon.com have them cheaper and in more colours.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:18 am

So are the XA Pro actually disappearing ? I will seriously order a few extra pairs if so !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Squeak » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:00 pm

CasualNerd wrote:So are the XA Pro actually disappearing ? I will seriously order a few extra pairs if so !

They're no longer on the Salomon website
Squeak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:46 pm

Are you looking in the wrong spot? Salomon classifies the XA Pro as a running shoe, not a hiking shoe. The X Ultra is classified as a hiking shoe. There now appears to an XA Lite model as well as the XA Pro 3D both in Goetex and non-Goretex models. http://www.salomon.com/au/men/running-shoes
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 02 May, 2017 3:17 pm

The best I have found for dry climates is the x-ultra mid 'aero'

http://www.salomon.com/au/product/x-ult ... cle=379169

It's on the AU site now, but have never seen it in an Aussie shop yet. Bought them a year ago and they are great for our climate. Thought they would wear out after the Larapinta but still hanging in with no worries. Had to import from the US. You'd reckon they would be available in Australia!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Squeak » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:33 pm

Mark F wrote:Are you looking in the wrong spot? Salomon classifies the XA Pro as a running shoe, not a hiking shoe. The X Ultra is classified as a hiking shoe. There now appears to an XA Lite model as well as the XA Pro 3D both in Goetex and non-Goretex models. http://www.salomon.com/au/men/running-shoes

Thanks Mark, they are all the shoe, I'm after the "mid"
Squeak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slparker » Wed 03 May, 2017 3:02 pm

Squeak wrote:Thanks Mark, they are all the shoe, I'm after the "mid"

The XA pro is a trail running/adventure racing shoe with a mid option. Most retailers sell the shoe only: I have never seen it for sale in Australia (only NZ) but you may be able to get it online. As far as I am aware the mid is still made and I do know that the mid is a popular boot in the military fraternity and it is marketed to them as 'salomon forces'.

For those of you that are concerned - the XA pro shoe is still being made in 2017 - I know because I have just replaced a worn out shoe with a new one. the sole has a new stickier compound.

The equivalent in a specific walking shoe/boot (as mentioned above) would be the x-ultra which has a different sole unit. It is available as a gore-tex mid in australia - if that's what you want, or as a non-goretex mid available online.

In my opinion the XA pro fits better than the x-ultra as it is designed for running and has a very close fitting heel cup. The x-ultra feels sloppy in comparison but has a better sole for walking with deeper lugs. I have only used the XA pro and X-ultra shoes - so the boots might fit differently.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mickl » Wed 03 May, 2017 11:13 pm

slparker wrote:
Squeak wrote:Thanks Mark, they are all the shoe, I'm after the "mid"

The XA pro is a trail running/adventure racing shoe with a mid option. Most retailers sell the shoe only: I have never seen it for sale in Australia (only NZ) but you may be able to get it online. As far as I am aware the mid is still made and I do know that the mid is a popular boot in the military fraternity and it is marketed to them as 'salomon forces'.

For those of you that are concerned - the XA pro shoe is still being made in 2017 - I know because I have just replaced a worn out shoe with a new one. the sole has a new stickier compound.

The equivalent in a specific walking shoe/boot (as mentioned above) would be the x-ultra which has a different sole unit. It is available as a gore-tex mid in australia - if that's what you want, or as a non-goretex mid available online.

In my opinion the XA pro fits better than the x-ultra as it is designed for running and has a very close fitting heel cup. The x-ultra feels sloppy in comparison but has a better sole for walking with deeper lugs. I have only used the XA pro and X-ultra shoes - so the boots might fit differently.

I would agree with the above about the XA Pro vs the X-Ultra. I have a pair of XA pro in normal and just tried on the X-ultra and couldn't like them. The heel felt really loose when walking without any pack on and they felt and looked a lot narrower through the mid section of the shoe. I ended up buying a pair of XA Pro GTX but had to go up a half size due to the GTX liner as they were too tight. To be honest after wearing them for a week or two now and putting some KM's on them I'm regretting getting them. They feel pretty much the same as the Ultra's did in the shop and unless I crank the lace system on they feel loose on the heel but too tight through the mid.

I have sent an email to the shop I got them from asking if they can get the Aero Mids in to try on as the mid boot might sort out the loose heel feeling.

I really want to try on some La sportivo Ultra raptors but no one in SA sells them. Anyone tried them on and say how they fit compared to the Salamons...
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Tyreless » Thu 04 May, 2017 8:20 am

I wore XA Pro's for a while but found they were too narrow for me. I have been wearing Ultra Raptors for the past 3 years and they fit me well - a bit wider than the XA Pro's but they have a close fitting heel. I'm buying a new pair half a size bigger because on very long demanding walks my feet swell but for anything up to 30kms my current pair is fine. They also last a surprisingly long time considering how "sticky" the sole is - the soles on my previous pair lasted longer than the uppers but YMMV. They drain water well.
Tyreless
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Thu 04 May, 2017 10:02 am

Mickl wrote: I ended up buying a pair of XA Pro GTX but had to go up a half size due to the GTX liner as they were too tight..

On the XA gore-tex: - sizing is the same as the non-goretex, at least it was when I used to wear the goretex model some years ago.

Mickl wrote:I really want to try on some La sportivo Ultra raptors but no one in SA sells them. Anyone tried them on and say how they fit compared to the Salamons...

I just bought a pair of goretex La Sportiva ultra-raptors - had to get a gore-tex pair for a snow running race. they are still making their way through the post from europe but I managed to try a non-goretex pair on in Australia. They are wider in the forefoot, I think, than the XA pro, lighter and less of a motion control shoe. Lower drop and softer - more of a neutral running shoe than a 'do it all shoe' like the XA pro. Sole grip is amazing, like a climbing shoe.

Sizing is out of control - i went up a whole size to get the right fit. I take 11.5 in Salomon but 12.5 in La Sportiva. Bogong in melbourne has them but no gore-tex version (at least not in my size when i went in).

In my opinion for trail running (and probably bushwalking as well) the best shoe out there is the saucony peregrine (non-goretex). It is like an updated KT 26 but with a wide forefoot, foot plate and low drop. The grip is insane but heel cup is too rigid for me for running though - otherwise perfect. You can get it in kathmando and athlete's foot.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 22 May, 2017 3:55 pm

Maybe a bit late but in my hunt for a waterproof mid for snowshoeing I found Salomon mids on Wiggle at pretty good prices. I got a pair of X-Chase GTX Mids (hadn't come across these before)
http://www.salomon.com/au/product/x-chase-mid-gtx.html for AU$128.68 delivered. X-Ultra mids were $172.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Mon 22 May, 2017 8:29 pm

Salomon trail runners have narrowed somewhat in 2017. I don't have a particularly wide foot but I had to return a pair of wings pro ( that the x-chase mid is based on) as they squeezed my mid foot. I have been wearing the model,for around a decade.
Same deal with the xa pro, just returned a new pair that I couldn't run in, just too tight. Same deal - had been wearing them for years. Although you can get a wider fitting online called m+.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 23 May, 2017 9:42 am

slparker wrote:Salomon trail runners have narrowed somewhat in 2017. I don't have a particularly wide foot but I had to return a pair of wings pro ( that the x-chase mid is based on) as they squeezed my mid foot. I have been wearing the model,for around a decade.
Same deal with the xa pro, just returned a new pair that I couldn't run in, just too tight. Same deal - had been wearing them for years. Although you can get a wider fitting online called m+.

It will be interesting to see how they compare to my X-Ultras although I have a bit of spare width in the forward section with my X-Ultras. They were labelled AW16 which I think means Autumn Winter 2016 stock so the change in last may not have happened at that point.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Tue 23 May, 2017 2:55 pm

Mark F wrote:[
It will be interesting to see how they compare to my X-Ultras although I have a bit of spare width in the forward section with my X-Ultras. They were labelled AW16 which I think means Autumn Winter 2016 stock so the change in last may not have happened at that point.

You might be safe - the boots might fit differently and also be on a wider last, as you state.

If they fit they should be an excellent boot - the shoe version was fantastic for running and walking. Very, very stable and good grip.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 26 May, 2017 1:54 pm

The X-Chase boots turned up today. They fit excellently, pretty much the same as my X-Ultras so no width difference at least with the AW 16 marked versions. There seems to be a touch more height (not width) in the toe area with the X-Chase.

Actually 8 grams per shoe lighter than the low cut X-Ultra without Goretex.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Suz » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 5:18 pm

I bought a new (my 3rd) pair of XA pros in March.

I had to go up a size...maybe it is that narrowing of the new model.

Also I do not think this pair are as well made as my previous two :( I know they have switched to a softer rubber for this version's sole, it is more the quality of the upper on this pair that is disappointing me. I already have a few small holes at the little toe area and they are only 3 mths old. I would definitely have walked sub 1000k in them, the first pair weren't this worn until they had around twice that mileage.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment