Decathlon to open soon in Australia

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby Franco » Tue 09 May, 2017 6:53 pm

Decathlon has over 850 stores worldwide selling their own brands of sporting goods.
Looks like Kathmandu will have some touch competition soon
http://www.decathlon.com.au/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Decathlon to open soon in Australia

Postby michael_p » Wed 10 May, 2017 8:34 am

Their first store will be next to the Ikea at Tempe. Next time I'm down that way I will have to check them out. Thanks Franco.
Last edited by michael_p on Wed 10 May, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Wed 10 May, 2017 8:37 am

Some here will be familiar with the brand name Quechua, the one they use for camping gear.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Wed 10 May, 2017 1:41 pm

What's their quality like?

At a glance this looks like pretty good value: http://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8245650_q ... #/30-254-_
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:45 am

I've received a few email reminders from Decathlon in recent weeks for their sign up gift... So have just registered an account with them and scrolled through some of their products eg. Hiking poles from $15... Cheaper than Aliexpress! There certainly are low priced gears on their site across the numerous activities they cater for. They would knock the existing stores about if there's decent quality.

Well, said to be opening in spring (about now) and will look forward to checking them out. Can imagine what a massive warehouse store it'll be being sited next to Ikea Tempe.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:59 am

They go to all that trouble with testing and they use a heavy Polytarp flooring? That simply doesn't make sense to me
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 10:38 pm

Decathlon in France is THE place for sport and hiking gear. At least for occasional hiking. I wouldn't buy serious stuff here, but they're known for a few groundbreaking inventions like the 2 sec tent, that every youth going to a festival knows about. Before them it was mostly expensive and exclusive gear, but they've brought hiking closer to most families price range. I don't know whether or not it will compete with brands like MacPac here in OZ/NZ, but it would be nice so that they'll stop their ridiculous pricing (I've never bought anything by MacPac for retail price). However, when I was living in Melbourne, I found out it was cheaper to buy online gear from the US or NZ. So I don't know how easy they'll make a profit. They'll surely be competing with Kathmandu although they're even more agressively priced.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:08 pm

They'll surely be competing with Kathmandu although they're even more agressively priced.
I would not refer to Kathmandu and their 70 % off sale stock as aggressively priced.
(hint you can't afford to give a 10% discount IF your prices are genuinely aggressive)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:12 pm

Franco wrote:I would not refer to Kathmandu and their 70 % off sale stock as aggressively priced.
(hint you can't afford to give a 10% discount IF your prices are genuinely aggressive)

Kathmandu is aggressively priced and comes back closer to true market value during their >50% discount sales. One of the most dodgy retailer in the sector.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Noob » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 8:18 pm

A friend of mine got me all excited and when I was in Spain I prepared to do some shopping but it was mostly garbage, I bought some socks, some cheap and nasty merino shirts and some awesome Aptonia chafe cream.

Even the guy I was staying with said it was pretty average, my brother and sister in law both laughed when I said a friend said they sold great gear.

If you go in expecting Anaconda home brand gear at more reasonable prices you won't be disappointed.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 4:00 pm

I thought that Anaconda was selling Quechua
Where will Anaconda get their cheap clothing from now??
Opening a store here will allow the chain to move all the stuff that didn't sell to somewhere that it may and they will get export credits for doing so
I've seen some of the stuff around and it seems of reasonable quality for the price
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:34 am

Just visited Decathlon's (Tempe, Sydney) preview opening this morning... Wow, it's like shopping on Taobao and the prices of products (essentially mid-lower range) are often halved or more than common local prices. It has dropped the entry cost to many sports and for the bushwalkers, they have quite a good range of functional cloths and gears. The backpacks extends from 7L to full sized. Not the most brilliant quality of features but very functional and good looking. Quite a few tents but mostly recreation tents. The backpacking tents are on the heavy side but that's to be expected at those prices, though nicer looking than those from Ray's. Good range of shoes and clothes. This morning the crowd wasn't too bad and the check-out was efficient. They gave a freebie 10L backpack with Decathlon logo for signing up to their membership. Bought a few small items and a pair of shoe styled boots for the son. Again, 1/2 and less in cost to regular stores for similar quality. Be interested what others think. In my mind, they have smashed Anaconda on price with no apparent loss of quality.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby warnabrother » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:53 am

GPSGuided wrote:J The backpacking tents are on the heavy side but that's to be expected at those prices, though nicer looking than those from Ray's.

Rays now carry MSR and Marmot tents along with Patagonia and Jack Wolfskin clothing. They are also doing some good gear like Swayer filters, Soto and MSR stoves.. perhaps you need to pay them a visit again
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:20 am

I would say that remark was related to the "Rays" own brands, which while well executed have some strange design quirks and are heavier than they need to be.
As for the other brands it is still cheaper to buy in the USA and shipitto in most cases
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 6:19 pm

warnabrother wrote:...perhaps you need to pay them a visit again

Ray only suddenly started to carry those higher end brands in recent months or last year. Now we know it’s in anticipation of Decathlon’s entry. Ray would die if they did not change their product range. We’ll now see how they would do in a new sector for them. Fortunately Decathlon is still only a single store with online sales.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment