Treating pin holes in 'waterproof' pants

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Treating pin holes in 'waterproof' pants

Postby onward » Fri 12 May, 2017 5:01 pm

I recently spent two days pushing through some rather prickly shrubs in the Victorian Alps (around Mt MacDonald) whilst wearing my waterproof 2.5 layer pants. These plants had a single sharp point on the end of each leaf and consequentially I now have lots of pinholes in the front of said pants. They now leak with water slowly coming through these pin holes. Short of throwing the pants away, I have thought I have a few options, ignore the leaks, patch/glue over the area with another layer of waterproof material, or 'paint' the inside with a dilute silicon solution and accept the 'breathability ' will be lessened. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Thanks
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Treating pin holes in 'waterproof' pants

Postby Ubiq » Fri 12 May, 2017 6:04 pm

Tenacious tape works wonders on holes in clothing, mats, tents and pretty much everything else.
If you're going to need to tape most of the pants up to fix them I would just consider cutting your losses and replacing them.
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Fri 12 May, 2017 8:15 pm

Too many to do individually ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Fri 12 May, 2017 9:23 pm

Richea continentis?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AWTtrekker » Fri 12 May, 2017 9:34 pm

^ Ah Strider, so many wonderful childhood memories of shortcuts back via the marshes... LOL :D
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby onward » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:23 pm

Worse than Richea...A shrub to 1.5m small dark foliage, I think one of the pea family, with a single spike on the end of each leaf. If I could find my copy of Costerman's it would probably be in listed.
The holes are tiny pinpricks >1mm, not really visible (I am guessing the pant material closes around the holes) and there are dozens. I can only find them by ponding water on the outside and watching for droplets to weep through. Although I just tried shinning a bright torch through them and that shows some of the holes, so that might a way to treatment them individually. I just thought it might be an issues a few people had dealt with.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AWTtrekker » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:32 pm

If they that small what about just spraying the pants with a silicon type waterproofing spray. It may suffice if the holes are close to self sealing anyway
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby oldpiscator » Sat 13 May, 2017 9:45 am

With breathable waders I turn them inside out, shine a torch to locate the pin hole and apply a small dab of Aquaseal on the inside then leave overnight to dry.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 May, 2017 10:12 am

onward wrote:Worse than Richea...A shrub to 1.5m small dark foliage, I think one of the pea family, with a single spike on the end of each leaf. If I could find my copy of Costerman's it would probably be in listed.
The holes are tiny pinpricks >1mm, not really visible (I am guessing the pant material closes around the holes) and there are dozens. I can only find them by ponding water on the outside and watching for droplets to weep through. Although I just tried shinning a bright torch through them and that shows some of the holes, so that might a way to treatment them individually. I just thought it might be an issues a few people had dealt with.

I don't think there is any Richea around MacDonald. Certainly can't remember any. This sounds more like a sort of gorse or something similar - there is one with a pea-like flower in that area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby -dz- » Sat 13 May, 2017 3:02 pm

You could try a thick application of dwr. While at the chemist the other day I noted they had a spray on bandage in a spray can. Didn't grab it but suspected it might work like a silicon spray. Can't remember if it said it or not but it may have been breathable.
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidf » Sat 13 May, 2017 3:39 pm

Go the tape. fiixed puffy jackets, rain jackets and packraft holes. If you cant identify the holes paint leak out areas with thinned out sikaflex
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby -dz- » Sun 14 May, 2017 10:23 am

Elastoplast was the name, is breathable. Not sure how it will attach to nylon though.
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment