Tarp Shape

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarp Shape

Postby taipan821 » Fri 12 May, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello all

what tarp shape would one suggest, looking for a tarp suitable for hammock and ground camping with at least 3 m length.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Tarp Shape

Postby andrewa » Fri 12 May, 2017 9:11 pm

Rectangle ( with vaguely catenary cut ridge) and almost to ground. The rhomboid shaped ones that come with Hennessy cover the hammock, but are next to useless for storing stuff under, keeping the wind off, or sitting under when it's raining.

Rectangle works well for ground camping, as long as it is long enough. You can always drop and spread the end that faces the inclement weather.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby simonm » Sat 13 May, 2017 4:20 am

Rectangle is more versatile if going to ground, as Andrew said.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 13 May, 2017 2:53 pm

I use a hex tarp and find it gives me plenty of coverage.
Started with a square and cut off the ends at an angle to give the desired shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment