Spear Grass defence

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Spear Grass defence

Postby BerryBoy » Sat 13 May, 2017 2:06 pm

What do people wear to defend themselves from being excessively speared by spear grasses (black spear grass in my instance)?

I recently walked off-track up Mount Louisa in Townville, North Queensland, and returned rather uncomfortable with a couple of hundred spear heads in my shirt, shorts, shoes and socks... My internet search has failed to provide me with clues as to what others might wear to combat this... Specifically, what clothing (if any) is resistant to the spears? I realize full leather hiking boots and gaiters will defend the lower quarter.
BerryBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Spear Grass defence

Postby taipan821 » Sat 13 May, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm from the Townsville area, I just don't pay attention to it

Yes it sucks when you find it, especially when bedding down for the night, but I prefer being cool than protected. I've had spear grass go through boots, SES uniforms, army uniform, my everyday hiking clothes, yet to find something that stops it
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Mon 15 May, 2017 7:42 pm

Canvas gaiters will slow them down but you will still get a few. The gaiters at least mean the sock line is mostly free.

As for the rest of clothing, the tight, fine woven nylon will slow them a bit too. You must have been in a really bad area - most walks I get very few (always wear gaiters). Probably also peak time of year right now.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby luenwarneke » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes, sock protectors or gaiters work well for socks and laces.
I find that quick dry material like that of board shorts or some hiking long sleeve shirts work very well.
luenwarneke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby trekker76 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 2:35 pm

Unfortunately there are some things nature still holds the upper hand. It designed these spears to stick in the soft furry bits of passing animals and while we insists on wearing cloth or textiles on our bodies they will fulfil their function. :D
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment