Gloves in the Snow

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gloves in the Snow

Postby cams » Mon 15 May, 2017 10:19 am

I'm after recommendations for gloves for walking in the snow? My wife and I have been using some Lowe Alpine Triple-Point Gloves (I think that's what they're called). They're insulated (not massively), waterproof and fairly lightweight with a nylon shell. They've been pretty good however, my wife's have warn through on the fingertips at many points in a fairly short period of time. Probably thanks to dolerite.

I've seen a lot of people using garden gloves, and a recommendation for ninja ice gloves for colder weather. Would these be warm enough for extended time out in cold, wet conditions though? Should I be looking at essentially ski gloves with a leather palm? thanks.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Gloves in the Snow

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 15 May, 2017 10:40 am

I have been using LW liner gloves from XTM over tha last few seasons in combination with cheap Polypropylene or fleece gloves over them but my shell mittens are reasonably good. Kathmandus fingerless polypro mitts over liners is a reasonably effective LW combo
While I change my mind about carrying spare clothing I always carry spare dry gloves. The ski patrollers at Falls Creek have been using cheap stretch mechanics gloves with the XTM liners or similar liners the last few seasons with good results it seems
I am very cautious where my hands are concerned and I more often than not carry 2 complete sets, a warm set and a storm set. When it gets cold and the wind blows you are better off with mittens and overmittens although in a tight spot I have used bread bags to keep the wind and cold rain/melting snow off my hands the real thing is better
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby cams » Mon 15 May, 2017 10:55 am

What shell mittens do you use? Have they been tested much with regards to abrasion? I should probably specify "Tassie snow". So, air temps are probably often not all that cold. Probably hovering around 0. But certainly windy, and probably slushy/easily melting snow/rain.
cams

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 15 May, 2017 11:28 am

Outdoor Research Goretex A discontinued model replaced by the Mt Baker shell. Mountaineering over mittens are usually reasonably robustbut not as robust as dedicated leather shell
0C with a wind can be deadly if it's wet
Have you tried riggers gloves? Riggers gloves are reasonably cheap and abrasion resistant and can be worn over liners if you go up a size or two. Never be water proof but can be waxed
Because I ski in winter I now use a ski oriented 3 finger glove most of the time and these are too warm for walking in most of the time.
Shell mittens are good DIY project and we could spare some HD goretex for you
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Mon 15 May, 2017 7:48 pm

I really like folder over mitts. Mitts are warmer than gloves and when you need some dexterity or for a bit of scrambling fold back the tops to have fingerless gloves. One thing to watch though is that the mechanism to hold back the mitt is good as when wet and heavy the mitts on cheaper models flop out all the time.

Generally straight fleece ones have been warm enough in Tassie - even when wet.

They still wear on the rock but better than full gloves.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby AWTtrekker » Mon 15 May, 2017 7:54 pm

The ninja ice gloves are pretty good. They are the glove of choice for manypeople working in the snow all day
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 May, 2017 7:57 am

The advantage mechanics gloves have over the ninja ice glove is the knuckle protection you get with mechanics gloves, otherwise thay are pretty much the same product.
They aren't storm protection but tick most other boxes
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Tue 16 May, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks for the thoughts all. I might check out the ninja ice and mechanics ones before forking out big money for another pair.

nq111 wrote:I really like folder over mitts. Mitts are warmer than gloves and when you need some dexterity or for a bit of scrambling fold back the tops to have fingerless gloves. One thing to watch though is that the mechanism to hold back the mitt is good as when wet and heavy the mitts on cheaper models flop out all the time.

Generally straight fleece ones have been warm enough in Tassie - even when wet.

They still wear on the rock but better than full gloves.

Thanks. I've actually got a pair of fleece folding ones I love for evening photography trips. Love them for this because I can stick one finger out to fiddle with camera settings. Bonus is you can stick a hand warmer in the mitt bit :D

I've found fleece on its own doesn't really do the job when wet, cold and windy though (although maybe mine aren't thick enough too). Really after something with some waterproofness though.
cams

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 May, 2017 9:22 am

Wind needs a secondary layer for sure, wet needs a DWR even on good fleece. Aldi ski sale is on now perhaps simply some really cheap ski gloves even if they are semi disposable?
It is hard to tick all the boxes with gloves / mittens.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:52 pm

Light fleece gloves and a light waterproof shell mitt over the top.
We do have heavy thick felted wool mitts as well, and have used them under extreme cold.
Don't try to use those leather skiing gloves: they are a disaster. The wet leather cuts off the blood flow to your fingers.

The weather varies, but you will need both a waterproof layer and a warmth layer.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 May, 2017 9:47 pm

That's a bit of a blanket statement Roger that I disagree with, some ski gloves with leather components are simply brilliant for the cold, wet not so much but leather palms are still a valid choice because they wear so well and have good tactile properties.
I don't think Cams can afford $2-/400- for Hestra gloves tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dunamis » Thu 18 May, 2017 11:47 am

rcaffin wrote:Light fleece gloves and a light waterproof shell mitt over the top.
We do have heavy thick felted wool mitts as well, and have used them under extreme cold.

This is what we do. I sewed up mitts from solid waterproof material and seam sealed them with silicone. Pattern is available online. Underneath use fingerless wool or fleece is good. That way to use your fingers just whip the mitts off. No need to remove the gloves. This is the same layering approach as you would use with a waterproof shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Thu 18 May, 2017 12:48 pm

dunamis wrote:
rcaffin wrote:Light fleece gloves and a light waterproof shell mitt over the top.

This is what we do. I sewed up mitts from solid waterproof material and seam sealed them with silicone. Pattern is available online. Underneath use fingerless wool or fleece is good. That way to use your fingers just whip the mitts off. No need to remove the gloves. This is the same layering approach as you would use with a waterproof shell.

Ok thanks. I'll look into this. I suppose it depends on the walk, but I imagine shell mitts not being the best in more technical terrain which is also probably where they'd get worn through from rocks. Scrambling and such.

Fingerless gloves underneath?? Don't your fingers freeze? Maybe my circulation is bad or something.
cams

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 May, 2017 1:52 pm

Fingerless gloves/mitts actually work surprisingly well.
My comments about leather riggers gloves really only apply to the areas where you would wear out softer materials too quickly, my liner and fingerless combo is good to well below freezing depending of course on windchill, in a wind you still need a shell.
Of course you can simply buy new cheap gloves each time they wear out, I try not to use too much disposable clothing is all.
Everybodies body is different of course and my own bodt acts and reacts differently at different times. I also err on the side of caution where my hands and head are concerned and will always take more than needed for the conditions as well as dry spare gloves or liners.
The old fashioned solution to the wear problem; dense woollen gloves with leather reinforcing on the fingers and palms; is now hard to come by at a reasonable cost
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:38 am

Moondog55 wrote:Fingerless gloves/mitts actually work surprisingly well.
My comments about leather riggers gloves really only apply to the areas where you would wear out softer materials too quickly, my liner and fingerless combo is good to well below freezing depending of course on windchill, in a wind you still need a shell.
Of course you can simply buy new cheap gloves each time they wear out, I try not to use too much disposable clothing is all.
Everybodies body is different of course and my own bodt acts and reacts differently at different times. I also err on the side of caution where my hands and head are concerned and will always take more than needed for the conditions as well as dry spare gloves or liners.
The old fashioned solution to the wear problem; dense woollen gloves with leather reinforcing on the fingers and palms; is now hard to come by at a reasonable cost

I agree regarding disposable clothing. Thanks. I've got a few options to consider.
cams

Postby dunamis » Sun 21 May, 2017 5:19 pm

cams wrote:I suppose it depends on the walk, but I imagine shell mitts not being the best in more technical terrain which is also probably where they'd get worn through from rocks. Scrambling and such.

Fingerless gloves underneath?? Don't your fingers freeze? Maybe my circulation is bad or something.

This is true. The kids have worn some holes through their palms as I didn't glue any reinforcement here. I don't use my hands to scramble as I use poles.

Cold hands just doesn't happen if carrying a pack. The opposite happens where hands sweat and you get wet hands inside the mitts.

dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 May, 2017 5:36 pm

I have to disagree there Dunamis, been frost nipped more than once while carrying a pack in the snow, it isn't just the temperature, wind is much greater factor than most people realise when it gets to freezing
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dunamis » Mon 22 May, 2017 6:23 pm

I think this trip I used full fingered gloves from Shiploads under the mitts. We clocked the wind at about 40km from memory which dropped the "feels like" temp to about -7c. I still wore shorts and leggings though under my rain kilt and was warm enough.

dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:37 am

So after another outing in the snow on Hartz last weekend, and my wife getting painfully cold hands by the end of the walk, we decided we had to revisit this before heading out again.

We had a look at K&D and got some cheap insulated work gloves with a rubber palm. Not sure how these compare to the Ninja Ice ones. Not as warm I'd say, but will be interesting to experiment with. I'll probably order some of the ninja ones as well to try.

We also got some Marmot Precip mitts from Mountain Creek. These were the only non-insulated waterproof mitts they had and are on the heavy side since they have a micro fleece liner, but we'll see how they do combined with fleece/wool gloves as suggested. Thanks for the advice, I'll hopefully report back soon.
cams

Postby cams » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 12:26 pm

Quick update. Received a couple of pairs of Ninja Ice gloves from BOC today. They are very similar to the ones I got from K&D.
cams

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 12:40 pm

PM your way Cams
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sam Gribley » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:48 pm

What's your verdict on all the different gloves you ended up with Cam?
Sam Gribley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment