Snowshoe advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Snowshoe advice

Postby slparker » Mon 15 May, 2017 11:11 am

I am entered into a snow trail running event in September which may/may not require snow shoes in the even (although I have to be prepared to carry/use them if conditions dictate). If I get dedicated running snowshoes these are the type that is recommended:

http://www.crescentmoonsnowshoes.com/pr ... series-12/

pretty expensive for a one activity (+ training) every year. My question to those who have used snowshoes before is:

is there any reason why these may not be suitable for other types of snowshoeing? - I'm thinking that they would be fine for shoeing alongside trails on dinner plain/falls creek but what about snow camping on Bogong high plains on ungroomed tracks with a pack? I realise that they are not designed for backcountry walking but could they work for this? I imagine that a limitation would be grip on steep stuff and ice as well as weight capacity in our potentially wet slushy snow...

Second question - I can use my bushwalking club's snowshoes (I think MSRs) for the event if I want but could I run in them? bearing in mind that 'running' will be a kind of slow shuffle.... Not terribly concerned about how I place in the event so speed/weight isn't a massive deal.

Thanks in advance.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Snowshoe advice

Postby Mark F » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:04 pm

I am no expert having only just bought a couple of pairs of snowshoes for back country travel. In my reading beforehand I came across this article which my help you https://www.outsideonline.com/1929611/snowshoe-running-101.

Many running snowshoes seem to be very small and light so not ideal for backcountry use or on light unpacked snow or steep slopes. The ones you linked to seem closer to regular ones but put the flotation and quite wide width at the front of the shoe to help with running push off but this won't be very good with a pack on your back for more leisurely travel - less flotation under your heels. Unless you plan on making snow running a longer term pursuit than just a single race I would not bother with "proper" snowshoes but make do with your club's ones.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:17 pm

PM sent
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:30 pm

Mark F wrote:I am no expert having only just bought a couple of pairs of snowshoes for back country travel. In my reading beforehand I came across this article which my help you https://www.outsideonline.com/1929611/snowshoe-running-101.

Many running snowshoes seem to be very small and light so not ideal for backcountry use or on light unpacked snow or steep slopes. The ones you linked to seem closer to regular ones but put the flotation and quite wide width at the front of the shoe to help with running push off but this won't be very good with a pack on your back for more leisurely travel - less flotation under your heels. Unless you plan on making snow running a longer term pursuit than just a single race I would not bother with "proper" snowshoes but make do with your club's ones.

beaut, cheers Mark.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:31 pm

Moondog55 wrote:PM sent

cheers.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment