Storm Proof Matches

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Storm Proof Matches

Postby taipan821 » Tue 16 May, 2017 12:29 pm

Hello All

after multiple bad experience with a certain brand of storm match, I'm looking for a different brand

2 part question
1: what brand of storm match do you carry?
2: where did you get them from?

thanks in advance
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Storm Proof Matches

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 16 May, 2017 5:43 pm

I've used UCO matches to pretty good effect, not often due to the cost, but they do seem to store well if kept dry and airtight. As to where to get them from, not sure.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 16 May, 2017 8:49 pm

I do not try to light a flame in a storm. Total waste of effort.
I use a Bic lighter with the flame set low, and I start by finding good shelter.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 17 May, 2017 11:25 pm

G'day Taipan,

I stopped using 'waterproof' matches many years ago. Too frustrating. I have 2 firelighting options, usually a mini lighter and ordinary matches (as a back-up) that I keep in little plastic bags. Never have a problem with that, even with a week of wet weather.
I did need to use the matches a couple of times - I think when my fingers were too cold to successfully operate the lighter.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby taipan821 » Thu 18 May, 2017 12:32 am

I also use a mini lighter for hiking, but I'm looking for storm matches for my search kit, a recent search ended up drowning my kit (most of it was fine), while police lost a sat phone to the water.

So keeping it simple and reliable, I've decided on storm matches as a primary source of ignition, with a fire-steel as backup, as both can survive being submerged
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 18 May, 2017 1:31 am

A bic lighter also survives being submerged. It just needs a little time/effort to dry it out. I tried this once, just to see how much time. It took me 90 seconds to get a flame after dunking it. With practice I'll bet I could get that down to 30 seconds. I did it indoors and admittedly it would be harder in a wet environment. It's one reason I almost always carry two lighters.

I suppose there are situations where a flame source that lights and stays lit when wet could be useful. Our local shop (California) has the UCO matches in stock. It's kind of ironic that I can buy them here with our relatively dry climate while they are difficult or impossible to find in Queensland.

You can find instructions for making your own waterproof matches. I think the idea is to simply coat them with wax -- probably not quite the same thing as the UCO matches.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 18 May, 2017 6:29 pm

Don't bother coating matches in wax. That works well with the old strike anywhere's but its a waste of time in regard to normal strike-on-box matches, as you still need the dry box.
Since fire is your goal, I'd stick to the firesteel and add some really good tinder, tinder-quik tabs, petrolium jelly cotton balls, or tinder-card. Wet fire is also good, but if the little packet gets pierced it will eventually become ineffective. Since you are looking for a "FIRE NOW" solution, those would get you the best result. Combine that with a Bic, and you should have your bases covered. For the same cost, you have a 30 second to a minute flame instead of a 10-second one.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 May, 2017 8:11 pm

Queen brand vanilla essence bottle filled with accelerant and a flint & steel magnesium bar.
I use sort of napalm made with petrol + palm oil or old cooking fat but kerosine/diesel is probably easiest.
Next best is good old Little Lucifers firelighters followed by any of the solid kerosine firelighters. For some reason the lucifer brand seem to be easier to light in the cold and wet
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby madmacca » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:57 am

Moondog55 wrote:Queen brand vanilla essence bottle filled with accelerant and a flint & steel magnesium bar.
I use sort of napalm made with petrol + palm oil or old cooking fat but kerosine/diesel is probably easiest.
Next best is good old Little Lucifers firelighters followed by any of the solid kerosine firelighters. For some reason the lucifer brand seem to be easier to light in the cold and wet

MD,

How do you go flying on planes with that little lot? :D
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Fri 19 May, 2017 12:32 pm

LOL.

I think the OP wanted something simple and probably light.
So unless you can package the accelerant or fire starter in a tiny container it probably doesn't quite fit the bill.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 19 May, 2017 2:29 pm

50ml bottle takes up very little room, but a firelighting accelerant needs to be a gel to be most effective.
Wintertrekking mates who must have the means to light an immediate fire in case they fall through the ice in low negative temperatures tend to use a smallish flat tin that can be sealed with easy peel tape, the tin is usually filled with a small amount of kindling and tinder ready to go, the emergency matches and striker fixed to the lid. Open the sealed tin, strike the match and light the tinder. Usually an Altoids tin because of the huge number of those mints sold over there and the compact size.
The kindling is often the sawdust/wax mixture and the tinder is whatever lights best in the circumstances. Drried birch bark is popular over there, I'd be using cotton wool soaked in petroleum jelly here, I have effectively mixed PJ with Shellite and in a sealed continr I get about 3 months before the Shellite has evaporated
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Fri 19 May, 2017 8:09 pm

I also use a mini lighter for hiking, but I'm looking for storm matches for my search kit, a recent search ended up drowning my kit

That is not a failure of the Bic lighter; it is a failure of the packaging of your emergency kit. Fix your kit so it does not drown, even if submerged.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Fri 19 May, 2017 8:45 pm

rcaffin wrote:That is not a failure of the Bic lighter; it is a failure of the packaging of your emergency kit. Fix your kit so it does not drown, even if submerged.

Cheers
Roger

I'm looking for a better (hopefully waterproof) container. the maximun size is 20cm x 9cm x3cm so if anyone can point me towards a waterproof tin I'll be grateful.
but saying that....I have an assumption that anything I carry while in the bush searching for a missing hiker (with no affiliation to this forum because we all are experienced and capable :wink: ) I have experience that if you have something that can't get wet, it will get wet, either from rain, sweat, or accidental slips into a creek
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:04 pm

20*9*3 is a huge size for a fire kit or are you "supposed" to keep all your personal emergency kit in something so small?
My neck kit is about half that size and it is about a quarter of what I count as emergency/survival gear.
Canoe shops sell totally waterproof floating tubes that seal with an "O" ring, I used to keep my car key a BIC lighter and a $20- note in mine hung arund my neck when I went paddling, most dive shops sell Pelican walletsand there is an Ortlieb small belt pouch with a rool top that is about that size and rugged as well as waterproof
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Sat 20 May, 2017 6:08 pm

Moondog55 wrote:20*9*3 is a huge size for a fire kit or are you "supposed" to keep all your personal emergency kit in something so small?

that's the size constraints I have for my survival kit (I fudge it a bit), I can fit two containers this side into a XL utility pouch in addition to some small bottles containing the fluids I need for a search (sunscreen, bug spray, anti chafe etc)
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sat 20 May, 2017 8:33 pm

Shameless plug. It's a bargain, postage will probably cost me 8:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25224

There's also an emergency shelter kit if you want a heavy duty space blanket for some reason:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25225
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby taipan821 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 10:07 am

solved the waterproofing issue, waterproof with minimal bulk.

Seal my gear in vacuum bags... makes the gear more compact and waterproof, as long as you don't mind crushed pretzels
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment