Sleeping pads - Big Agnes and Nemo

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping pads - Big Agnes and Nemo

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Thu 18 May, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi all!

Has anybody tried the Big Agnes Q-Core pads? We are comparing them to the Nemo Tensor and the Nemo Vector (foot pump version of the Tensor I believe), due to the lack of an integrated pillow (we wish to add our own)... but more recently I have started wondering if the integrated pillow would be better, as it might help prevent our main pillow from falling off the end of the mat..... thoughts on this?

Anyway, I am hoping that somebody might have experience to some degree with both brand of pads, and might be able to provide me with some informed advice..... I'll be looking at a 25 inch wide model, whilst my partner will look at a 20 inch wide (and hopefully shorter in length) model.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Sleeping pads - Big Agnes and Nemo

Postby Neo » Thu 18 May, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Lux
I have a Nemo Tensor 20S and it is quite good. A short mat and comfortable, small rolled up and 259g in its bag with repair kit and velcro tie as shipped. It has some mylar inside and rates itself -1 to 4°C but have not used much in winter, am adding ccf underneath.
I use an STS aeros pillow and it magically seems to stay put most of the time. Having it in the hood of my sleeping bag helps. Although, I have found the pillow and mat seem to migrate away from each other in the night leaving a bad gap between them. I should probably shuffle down and have the pillow on top of the mat instead of at the end.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sleeping pads - Big Agnes and Nemo

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Fri 26 May, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks for that one, Neo!

I was anticipating a few more responses and hoped to answer them all at once..... I'm surprised that nobody else seems to be able to offer any experience with these mats.

My partner and I are moving to Qld soon, and I believe strongly in the whole 'Buy one to do it all' mantra. This makes it hard to shop for both Qld AND the cold conditions down here in and around ACT :? ....

In light of this, we are unsure whether the good old CCF solution will be enough to Tassie-proof a 0° rated mat when we do the Overland, but still keep that mat warm enough for Qld conditions. Let me know how you go with the CCF, cause it is at the top of my list at the moment (ill just buy a tough garbage bag to keep the CCF dry on the outside of my pack.... can always carry spare bags as backup!)

It is likely we won't be buying ANY mats until July, simply because that is when we can test out the Big Agnes for ourselves at Wild Earth in Brizzy (quick two week recon prior to moving)... Does anybody know of a Big Agnes stockest closer to ACT?
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment