Cheap folding hiking poles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cheap folding hiking poles

Postby Penguin » Fri 19 May, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi all

I am off to Borneo in a couple of months. During the trip I will be doing some overnight hiking. I am a bit dependent on poles for going down hill. The hope is that I will be able to travel with cabin luggage only. So the vexed question - can you take hiking poles on planes as cabin luggage. I have contacted airlines in the past and got some very ambivalent answers.

Two solutions I can think. One is to take cheap poles and if they get confiscated so what. Secondly - buy/hire poles there (I am looking into this).

Does anybody know of a source of a cheap knock off of something like BD Z-poles? I have done a quick google search and nothing is obvious to me.

Cheers

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Cheap folding hiking poles

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 19 May, 2017 12:39 pm

Friends have been forced to pay for checked baggage just for tent poles, I'd say very unlikely you'll get a walking pole on board.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Fri 19 May, 2017 5:12 pm

These enkeeo poles aren't folding but you can pull them apart, so pack down to 54cm. I've got a pair. Not heavy, not lightweight but they are sturdy.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Adjustable-Trekking-Walking-Hiking-Travel-Carbon-Fiber-Stick-Alpenstock-Pole-/172678728082?hash=item2834744992:g:h7IAAOSwlndZC9RE

Probably find a better price but want to make sure seller can get them to you in time.

If 54cm is too long to put inside your carry-on, you could put a ping-pong ball on the end and pretend your sight impaired :twisted:
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Sun 21 May, 2017 11:45 am

I bought poles in borneo when i arrived (at the trailhead of Mt Kinabalu) because my own set wouldn't fit in my luggage.
I wouldn't chance them in onboard luggage without clearing them via the airline first.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Penguin » Sun 21 May, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks - I think that is what I will do - what re the hiking shops like at Mr Kinabalu.
Penguin

Postby Strider » Sun 21 May, 2017 11:43 pm

Would it be an option to post them ahead?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Mon 22 May, 2017 12:38 am

I think getting a cheap set of Chinese poles over there is a better idea.

I found that there is no consistency between various airlines on trekking poles as carry on. And even then if the airlines allowed it, there was no consistency at the airports security either. So if you value your poles, you'd check them in. I was going to resort to wrenching the tips off, but even then there was no guarantee it would be permitted through airport security.

I've seen some cheap collapsible Chinese poles (the heavier basic variety) for around RM30 to RM50 per pole. From recollection, the lighter ones were from RM100 plus.

I don't recall what outdoor shops were in KK, but I did see one in Miri and a few in Kuching that had poles. But if you are just going to Sabah you can buy them in Kinabalu Park or at the grocery store before hand (about RM40-50). I think you could rent them as well for around RM10-20.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby slparker » Mon 22 May, 2017 10:18 am

Penguin wrote:Thanks - I think that is what I will do - what re the hiking shops like at Mr Kinabalu.

there wasn't a hiking shop, just a general store with various bits and pieces - the poles were second hand and when I got back from the mountain I just returned left them at the counter.

There are camping shops in Kota Kinabalu, although I didn't walk into one, but they would be your best bet, You'll be flying into KK anyway if you're walking up Mt K.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gusto » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 6:31 am

I have travelled Borneo with Poles.

I started down south in Kuching and finished up North. I went with Intrepid. For most of that tour I only had hand luggage.

From Aust to Malaysia put your poles in checked luggage.

When flying around Borneo walking poles can easily be used as hand luggage.

The only city where you will find some outdoor gear is in Kota Kinabalu. And it won't be any good
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment