Lightweights raincoat

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Lightweights raincoat

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 9:55 am

Hi, Im new to this forum but am really looking for some advice on which jacket to get.
I am currently looking at these 3:
Outdoor Research Helium II
Outdoor Research Helium HD
Berghaus Hyper 100

I would like a lightweight raincoat that packs small that I can easily take anywhere. I don't use a raincoat much and therefore don't want a bulky one because I would be unlikely to want to take it places. I want a raincoat that will last and will keep me dry in heavy rain.

The HD has pit zips and hand pockets but is heavier and bulkier whereas the Hyper is the lightest and most expensive. The II looks like it may be the best of both but it has no pit zips or ventilation.

Any opinions or help would be much appreciated, Thanks
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Lightweights raincoat

Postby Orion » Tue 23 May, 2017 11:25 am

If you really want something lightweight and compact as a "just in case it rains" item then go for the lightest and most compact. Don't expect it to be very durable, but if you use it infrequently that's not a huge issue. I personally wouldn't bother with pit zips unless it's a big heavy jacket but people are different with regard to heat and perspiration.

For a just in case jacket you might even consider non-breathable fabric. I made a pair of rainpants out of (non-breathable) cuben fiber and found they worked as well as my waterproof breathable rainpants in terms of condensation. They weigh only 33g and fit in my pocket. My regular rainpants weigh 206g. A jacket may be different in this regard (torso vs legs) but it's something to think about. People bushwalked long before WPB fabric existed.

Also, for what it's worth, I ordered an OR Helium II jacket a while back. I returned it because it didn't fit. It wasn't that it was wrong size, it was just shaped in an odd way.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply. It is a just in case it rains jacket but I would still like it to be durable and last a long time. It won't just be used for walking etc, hopefully for everything as I have heard they are comfortable and easy to move in. I need to decide whether to go with the Hyper for it being lighter, breathable 3 layer fabric but for double the price.
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 23 May, 2017 2:29 pm

My primarly outdoor activity of late has been bikepacking rather than bushwalking so I am less concerned about pack wear. That said my choice of raincoat is a RAB Flashpoint which for the large size weighs in at 218 grams on my scales. Based on my use to date I am very happy with it. I purchased mine IIRC from Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Ubiq » Tue 23 May, 2017 3:23 pm

Have a look at the Montbell versalite. IMO its a better raincoat that the Helium and cheaper too.
They're available in Australia through Montbell Australia. Only thing to note is they stock the Japanese edition not the American edition and thus no pit zips.
Montbell make some seriously nice outdoor gear but they don't get enough attention here in Aus

(I don't work for them or have any affiliation - just a devoted fan!)
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 4:11 pm

Ubiq wrote:Have a look at the Montbell versalite. IMO its a better raincoat that the Helium and cheaper too.
They're available in Australia through Montbell Australia. Only thing to note is they stock the Japanese edition not the American edition and thus no pit zips.
Montbell make some seriously nice outdoor gear but they don't get enough attention here in Aus

(I don't work for them or have any affiliation - just a devoted fan!)

Does it pack down as small?
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ubiq » Tue 23 May, 2017 5:50 pm

Very, weighs in at only 190g or so too

https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/mont ... alite-blue
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:00 pm

Ubiq wrote:Very, weighs in at only 190g or so too

https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/mont ... alite-blue

Thanks for your advice but I just looked at some reviews and the only thing I am getting that the Helium II and Hyper 100 don't have is hand pockets which the Helium HD I listed does.
The versalite also does not pack down as small from the reviews I have seen
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ubiq » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:13 pm

Do you live in Sydney? Would be worth taking a trip to Kent St to compare the two in person

I spent a stupid amount of time comparing all the options between the different jackets trying to find the "perfect" jacket.
Forgetting about every minute detail between the two; the Versalite was a much nicer fit, the material felt much nicer and the hood adjustment options were greater too. I tried both jackets on within a 15 minute period and I'd be buying the Versalite every time.

Just my 2c
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:19 pm

Ubiq wrote:Do you live in Sydney? Would be worth taking a trip to Kent St to compare the two in person

I spent a stupid amount of time comparing all the options between the different jackets trying to find the "perfect" jacket.
Forgetting about every minute detail between the two; the Versalite was a much nicer fit, the material felt much nicer and the hood adjustment options were greater too. I tried both jackets on within a 15 minute period and I'd be buying the Versalite every time.

Just my 2c

No I am down in Melbourne. Which other jacket are you making your comparison with?
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby norts » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:31 pm

Marmot Precip , It usually gets good reviews . I have used it and like it. Mine is a bit tired.
The review below is for 2017.
http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-rain-jackets.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ubiq » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:35 pm

I looked at most of the lightweight options - MB versalite, OR helium 2, patagonia houdini, marmot precip/minimalist, salomon bonatti plus some of the US cottage makers jackets too. I would still choose the versalite every time.

In the end I "accidentally" ended up blowing my whole budget on the Montbell Storm Cruiser which is *&%$#! amazing. Expensive but amazing.

The only thing I learnt after weeks and weeks of comparing every jacket and heavily scrutinizing them is that the perfect jacket (or any hiking item) doesn't exist. There's always going to be something which someone can find a fault in. If you're looking for a jacket with no cons or faults, I'm afraid you won't find it anywhere on the internet.
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby roysta » Tue 23 May, 2017 7:59 pm

I have the HD and love it, a good fit and not at all bulky in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby andrewa » Tue 23 May, 2017 8:19 pm

......Z packs breathable cuben....I've had 2. Very light and compact. Work fine. The only reason I bought the second one was that the first was white, and I wanted a darker jkt for fly fishing.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Tue 23 May, 2017 8:40 pm

roysta wrote:I have the HD and love it, a good fit and not at all bulky in my opinion

How do you find it breathes? Any other information you can give me?
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Sat 27 May, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi all,
I have narrowed my search down to two raincoats.

Helium II:
Lighter, $100 cheaper, more compact, better color

Helium HD:
Pit zips (more breathable), hand pockets, more versatile.

Anyone have an opinion?

Also how low do the raincoat come down? Below waist? Below butt?
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Sat 27 May, 2017 11:30 pm

I have a helium 2 as my 'just in case' raincoat if I am not expecting rain. I have not worn it in a deluge, just as a wind barrier and in light rain at this stage. It's very, very light and for the reasons i bought it I'd say fit for purpose. It seems to transfer sweat no worse than my gore-tex jacket and it fits large enough to layer under it. I am not a massive fan of the hood but this is a minimalist jacket so there'll be some compromises.

It's a very good emergency 'just in case' shell but if I was heading to some predictable nasty and wet weather i'd feel more comfortable taking my goretex, even if I have no evidence to state that it'd keep me any less damp than the Helium.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 28 May, 2017 8:00 am

Well one option is the cheap Rainbird stuff sold by chain stores at around $50- or any of the "House" brands from Rays/Anaconda etc. I kept a cheap Rainbird in the ute for years and I think it performed as well as much more expensive coats when called upon. I certainly found crawling under the car or getting it covered in mud less traumatic than my big goretex and it lasted 10+ years of occasional duty fitting chains/changing tyres/digging ute out of bogs before I ripped it apart one day.
Cheap and light doesn't always mean non-functional where raincoats are concerned
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby J_bushwalk12 » Sun 28 May, 2017 8:53 am

slparker wrote:I have a helium 2 as my 'just in case' raincoat if I am not expecting rain. I have not worn it in a deluge, just as a wind barrier and in light rain at this stage. It's very, very light and for the reasons i bought it I'd say fit for purpose. It seems to transfer sweat no worse than my gore-tex jacket and it fits large enough to layer under it. I am not a massive fan of the hood but this is a minimalist jacket so there'll be some compromises.

It's a very good emergency 'just in case' shell but if I was heading to some predictable nasty and wet weather i'd feel more comfortable taking my goretex, even if I have no evidence to state that it'd keep me any less damp than the Helium.

Does it come down below your waist??
J_bushwalk12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Sun 28 May, 2017 3:50 pm

It comes down past my belt line, if that's what you mean.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Sun 28 May, 2017 5:23 pm

J_bushwalk12 wrote:
roysta wrote:I have the HD and love it, a good fit and not at all bulky in my opinion

How do you find it breathes? Any other information you can give me?[/quotes I find the HD breathes really well. The pit zips are definitely a bonus. Remember though this jacket is not a 3 Layer.
I would reckon it's good for warmer conditions, over about 10C.

roysta

Return to Equipment