Sleeping bag advice - Victoria

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping bag advice - Victoria

Postby yacob » Wed 24 May, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi,

I've tried going through older sleeping bag threads but am struggling to find recent advice that relates to my situation.

I'm in vic and after a new all-round sleeping bag. Most of my hiking is in the vic alps (including a few cross-country trips in winter) and sometimes a run down to Tassie in the warmer months.

I (think) I'm looking for a bag with a comfort rating of around -5 and limit of around -10, not too heavy and not wildly expensive. Does anyone have any recent experiences with bags that fit the bill? Or any further advice about what I should be considering? Also open to second hand offers.

Cheers
(first post, so apologies if I haven't put this through in the right spot etc.)
yacob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Sleeping bag advice - Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 May, 2017 2:20 pm

There really are many threads dealing with this question. I assume you are aware that ratings are all nominal even if EN tested and with a set of winter underwear being worn, on a thick mat and inside a double walled tent.
I personally believe that a rating of -5 comfort is not enough safety margin and advise -18C as a more suitable target.
I also advise using insulated clothing to use as part of the system too achieve this but not everybody agrees with this approach.
and as always Hofmans iron Rule applies, warm/light/cheap Pick any two.
So some more information needed, will you always be sleeping in a double walled tent? Do you own or will you be buying a good mattress system? Do you own or will you be buying a bivvy sack or SB protector? Do you want a slim bag that may need to be warmer than target but with lots of venting options or a LW bag cut larger so you can wear down clothing inside it or would you be OK and comfortable in a quilt?
I use an UL oversized Expedition cut bag rated to -4C and boost the bottom end by choosing a down parka to suit the coldest temperatures ever encountered plus a LW elephants foot half bag of which I have 3, one of which is for sale and/or insulated trousers.
If I need to boost the lower end -30C rating of my system I'm getting a LW synthetic overquilt .
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby yacob » Wed 24 May, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Moondog -

- Usually in thermals when in the bag and nearly always in a double walled tent - no bivvy or sb protector.
- Sleep on an insulated full body nemo mat.
- Would prefer a larger, comfy bag over a super lightweight, slim bag.

In terms of possible brands, I've read the Macpac are ok but overpriced, so was wondering if any brands or models were broadly preferred by people on this forum (that fit the -10c bill).

Cheers
yacob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Wed 24 May, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Yacob. Welcome aboard. The best way to see what others are using is to check out the Big 4 thread, link below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5821&hilit=big+4
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 May, 2017 4:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25507

Good bag Excellent price, put my Tamarack inside it wear a decent down parka and good well down to -25C
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25516
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Thu 25 May, 2017 11:28 pm

Western Mountaineering Versalite is what you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Watertank » Fri 26 May, 2017 7:09 am

Mont Brindabella- not cheap nor particularly light. My other Mont bag is almost 20 years old and stilll excellent.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby yacob » Fri 26 May, 2017 4:18 pm

Watertank wrote:Mont Brindabella- not cheap nor particularly light. My other Mont bag is almost 20 years old and stilll excellent.

Thanks Watertank - actually checked one of these out yesterday in melb 'cause it fit the bill and then realised the Mont 4 day sale was on in Canberra. Got my sister to grab one. Looks toasty.
yacob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment