Using a Buff for Infection Control?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Using a Buff for Infection Control?

Postby Pongo » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:34 pm

I know it might seem like a random question but, would a buff be any good when used as a face mask to prevent the spread of colds and flus?

I'm hunting for some fashionable face masks for someone and they're all pretty clinical, and mostly disposable. It occurred to me that a buff might do a good job and is washable/reusable.

I figured there might be some medically minded folk / who bushwalk / who are familiar with buffs out there who could share their thoughts - maybe it's a long shot but I would really appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks for any help folks! :-)
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Re: Using a Buff for Infection Control?

Postby Ubiq » Fri 26 May, 2017 5:50 am

I can't imagine they'd be fine enough to filter out airborne pathogens.
I can easily see/breathe through the fabric of my black buff with almost no resistance
I think those face masks are quite a dense material
Ubiq
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby taipan821 » Fri 26 May, 2017 9:27 am

I agree buffs are quite loose (filter-wise) and I wouldn't recommend using them solely for infection control.

Where do you need infection control, trail, plane, office?

I haven't tried it myself, but i reckon you could use a buff to conceal a surgical mask and still breath easily, just have to make sure to replace the surgical mask when it starts getting clogged
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Turfa » Fri 26 May, 2017 12:24 pm

A buff or surgical mask will not be effective in protecting you from picking up an infection. They will help stop you spreading your infection to others though, as they can prevent larger particles/droplets leaving your mouth/nose.

To protect yourself you need an appropriately designed and correctly fitted respirator. This link has some good information.

http://solutions.3m.com.au/3MContentRet ... =ImageFile
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 26 May, 2017 10:14 pm

Infection control requires N95 level. Other masks reduce the risk, each to its own pore size. If it was all I had, it would be better than nothing, but really when we are talking harm reduction, at what level is it worth bothering with until we get into that 90% range?

Reality is hand to face contact is a bigger vector than breathing in most illnesses.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Fri 26 May, 2017 10:23 pm

hell, go all the way with a Scott M98 full face respirator with P2 filters (P2 is the australian version of N95). Its what Q.A.S. would use in the event of an ebola case :lol:
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Sat 27 May, 2017 1:14 pm

My understanding was that nose-hand-hand-nose was by far the dominant method of spread of colds and flus and airbourne was pretty minor or irrelevant?
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 27 May, 2017 5:03 pm

Well, a full mask fixes the hand to nose problem... makes one wonder if a halloween mask might be almost as effective? sorry not to make light of a serious question, but...
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pongo » Sun 28 May, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks for the replies folks. Without going into too much detail, I'm looking for protection for someone who is immune suppressed and therefore a lot more susceptible than the average punter.

Obviously each solution has varying degrees of effectiveness. I've heard it a few times now, and I think we might try the buff + surgical mask as an option.

Reading the discussion here, I had forgotten how thin they are. The only buff I own is a windbreaker one which I use in snow, and that is definitely a different beast.

Thanks for all the considered replies. I really appreciate it.
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment