Opsrey Exos suitable for NSW Bushwalking ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Opsrey Exos suitable for NSW Bushwalking ?

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:44 am

I wasn't sure if this should go in the Equipment or NSW section.

Im getting back into multi day hiking after a substantial break (10 years :lol: ). Back in the day, I used a bombproof macpac 3kg 70L monster.

Ive recently purchased a Osprey Exos 48 https://www.ospreypacks.com/au/en/product/exos-48-EXOS48.htmland would like to embrace lightweight walking. The Exos ticks alot of boxes (very lightweight, good capacity for 1-3 nights, great off back harness for minimizing sweat etc). However Im starting to think that it may not be durable enough for the scrub and rock encountered on many NSW multi-day walks.

Im considering returning it (hasn't been used yet) and getting something like a One Planet Overshadow https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/packs/bushwalking/overshadow/ which is much more durable but doesn't have the great ''off the back harness'' or as many features.

Reading the bushwalking NSW site and few others, it seems alot of the multi day routes around Sydney (particularly the Blue Mtns/Kanangra-Boyd NPs) are overgrown with foliage and most routes feature a bit of scrambling over/around rock.

Im fairly sure the Exos will be able to handle the most popular easy overnighters such as Mt Solitary, Royal NP and Great North Walk. but after Ive done those am I going to be left with scant overnight/multiday walking options aside from firetrail bashes ?

So my questions are...

What are my other multi day options within a few hours of Sydney if I keep the Exos ?

Or should I just sacrifice some comfort (reduced sweat harness) and a bit of weight for the more durable Oneplanet ? (or other recommendation ?) particularly If I will likely be joining a bush-walking club at some point.

Any advice appreciated !
Last edited by wildwanderer on Tue 30 May, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Opsrey Exos suitable for NSW Bushwalking ?

Postby slparker » Tue 30 May, 2017 9:36 am

You've already bought it now....

use it to death and buy something more durable when it carks it (if you need to).
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 May, 2017 9:43 am

slparker wrote:You've already bought it now....

True, however I can return it for a full refund as it hasn't been used.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 30 May, 2017 10:02 am

You could consider those relatively unvisited places like the Blue Mountains, Budawangs etc :wink: Lots of tracked walking.

If you want gear that will last forever then you won't get to lightweight. More robust pack - add 1 kg. You have to find the balance that works for you but you need to keep a realistic view of what walks you are likely to undertake especially in the short term.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby crollsurf » Tue 30 May, 2017 11:26 am

Keep it. I've only just got back into bushwalking solo now the kids have grown up myself. Getting back into it, I can assure you, you will appreciate 1kl less weight on that 2nd or 3rd day. It's a good size too. It will force you to stop carrying unnecessary crap.

I good resource you probably already know about is http://www.wildwalks.com/. Pick a region and the multi-days will be at the bottom of the page.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 May, 2017 1:00 pm

They are good little packs, a bit fancy/over-adorned, surprisingly all the fancy straps, bungies and pockets did seem to be useful. Buy or build a pack cover for the scrubby bits?

I don't know why packs are still even widely available from our era :) . There's a niche for bombproof & canvas but not necessary for most of us/ knees more expensive to replace than packs.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 May, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks all for the great advice. :)

I think I will keep it and bring along a pack cover (as suggested) for scrub bashing protection when the trail warrants it. Haha its hard to switch the thinking to lightweight and less durable after the many 20-25kg bombproof gear / all contingency packings I used to do in the distant past. Im now aiming for 6.5 kg base weight. :shock:

Having said all this, if anyone has done a fair bit of "track" walking around the Budawangs and the Kanangra to Wild dog mountains regions with the Exos or similar light weight packs. I would be very interested to hear an opinion on how they have held up over time.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 May, 2017 2:50 pm

wildwanderer wrote: Haha its hard to switch the thinking to lightweight and less durable after the many 20-25kg bombproof gear / all contingency packings I used to do in the distant past. Im now aiming for 6.5 kg base weight. :shock:

It's a minefield from here :) Iv'e been forced to carry less and less, for now restricted to a 'day pack'.

The one thing you may want to consider. The exos stands out with the harness & ventilation. There are tougher, even much lighter, and simpler packs around. May save some pain in the progression to 'necessary' over luxury to look at (the less 'meshy') packs in the ranges: Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Z Packs, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs..

I'm not sure there's an aussie maker yet, but these companies are where you will likely end up if you get carried away :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 30 May, 2017 5:02 pm

I find there's a bit of luck out there. My Exos may get a scratch but the much more durable Aaron's also get a poke at times. Luck of the day.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby alanoutgear » Tue 30 May, 2017 5:24 pm

I decided to get a lighter pack than my One Planet for the Great Ocean Walk.

It had a decent tear in it after Day 1 - just caught it on a rock.

Now fixed, but the One Planet is back as the favourite. Absolutely bomb proof and the extra kilo is no biggie.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Tue 30 May, 2017 6:25 pm

Nuts wrote:The one thing you may want to consider. The exos stands out with the harness & ventilation. There are tougher, even much lighter, and simpler packs around. May save some pain in the progression to 'necessary' over luxury to look at (the less 'meshy') packs in the ranges: Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Z Packs, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs

Hi AOG,
If you decide to go very light weight, with a frameless pack, they work well for some people, but not for others. I tried a few, but went back to an in-between weight. I do much better with a pack that's really comfortable, even though it's a few hundred grams heavier .

I know lots of people who use Osprey packs in Tassie, where I reckon the scrub and rock are a pretty good test. Most of them fair pretty well. The Eldons did a bit of damage on one of them, but it was repairable.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:21 pm

The Exos has a frame. At one stage Osprey tried going ultralight with their Hornet. So the Hornet is like an Exos with a back pad instead of the frame. I have a Hornet 46. Maybe it's of interest that the Hornet weighs around .6kg (v's 1.1?), is better protected 'smaller' closer to your back (and you got a foot section for your uber light shortened sleeping pad :) )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:37 pm

Nuts wrote:The Exos has a frame. At one stage Osprey tried going ultralight with their Hornet. So the Hornet is like an Exos with a back pad instead of the frame. I have a Hornet 46. Maybe it's of interest that the Hornet weighs around .6kg (v's 1.1?) (and you got a foot section for your uber light shortened sleeping pad :) )

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it doesn't. I meant if the OP goes for a 'very light' pack instead of the Exos.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 May, 2017 8:48 pm

Yes, and fair call, i'd not want to carry 6.5kg plus all that food in anything with much less support (if i could carry it)
Definitely track walks for that light fabric alone. Of those, I recall The Budawangs was pretty open walking, all the alpine KNP, and enough tracks for a good explore :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LachlanB » Wed 31 May, 2017 10:03 pm

Hahaha! The Budawangs! Open! You've got to be kidding me!

I don't have a light pack at all, but I've been in NSW scrub with people using Osprey Exos packs. The packs seemed to cope alright, although I suspect you could expect an overall shorter lifespan due to abrasion or accidental punctures. I have seen a few badly damaged and repaired Osprey packs around, but that's probably a function of abuse and market penetration.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 5:26 am

My Exos 46 is my go to pack for 2 and 3 day outings in the Blue Mountains area. It gets knocked around but handles it.
Weighs 1.1kg and is super comfortable carrying up to 13kgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:20 am

LachlanB wrote:Hahaha! The Budawangs! Open! You've got to be kidding me

No, not really. The last post by the OP seems to question for the number of areas accessible with a lightweight pack. My memory's scratchy but among all the space at and in between those areas mentioned you could do a few weekends, even in the Buddawangs on it's tracks, pads and easy off track jaunts in more open country.

I think it's safe to say that this pack wouldn't be a first choice for scrub bashing as a hobby. Some don't even like it for it's star ventilation or the fact that weight is being held further off your back. Horses for courses.

(you could try one for track walks Lachlan, less weight= no need to leave snow shoes behind :) )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby russ752 » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 10:42 am

wildwanderer wrote:I wasn't sure if this should go in the Equipment or NSW section.

Im getting back into multi day hiking after a substantial break (10 years :lol: ). Back in the day, I used a bombproof macpac 3kg 70L monster.

Ive recently purchased a Osprey Exos 48 https://www.ospreypacks.com/au/en/product/exos-48-EXOS48.htmland would like to embrace lightweight walking. The Exos ticks alot of boxes (very lightweight, good capacity for 1-3 nights, great off back harness for minimizing sweat etc). However Im starting to think that it may not be durable enough for the scrub and rock encountered on many NSW multi-day walks.

Im considering returning it (hasn't been used yet) and getting something like a One Planet Overshadow https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/packs/bushwalking/overshadow/ which is much more durable but doesn't have the great ''off the back harness'' or as many features.

Reading the bushwalking NSW site and few others, it seems alot of the multi day routes around Sydney (particularly the Blue Mtns/Kanangra-Boyd NPs) are overgrown with foliage and most routes feature a bit of scrambling over/around rock.

Im fairly sure the Exos will be able to handle the most popular easy overnighters such as Mt Solitary, Royal NP and Great North Walk. but after Ive done those am I going to be left with scant overnight/multiday walking options aside from firetrail bashes ?

So my questions are...

What are my other multi day options within a few hours of Sydney if I keep the Exos ?

Or should I just sacrifice some comfort (reduced sweat harness) and a bit of weight for the more durable Oneplanet ? (or other recommendation ?) particularly If I will likely be joining a bush-walking club at some point.

Any advice appreciated !

Wildwanderer,keep the Exos. I've had one for 7 years. In that time it's been my faithfull companion on the the Appalachian trail, Bibbulmin track, Larapinta trail, Great south west trail, Overland track, South west Tassie wilderness and many other shorter walks in South east Australia. It's a bit scuffed and grubby but still going strong
russ752
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby legend » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 11:51 am

My Exos is close to 10 years old, has seen a lot of work in Tassie, the Vic alps, Snowies, Larapinta and Kakadu.
I ripped the lid open whilst crawling on hands and knees through some very thick prickly regrowth, but being good quality ripstock, was very easy to repair in the field with a heavy needle and thread.
Friends in my club have used them in a six week off track Kimberley trip (carried food for two weeks at a time between food drops).
Despite the lightweight nature of the pack, they are exceptionally robust and one of the most comfortable packs on the market.
Weighing around a kilogram instead of 2 - 4 kgs for a bombproof pack means you are carrying far less on your back and body.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 1:37 pm

How long a piece of gear can vary dramatically in different users' hands. My Exos has been perfect, hardly a scratch or rip. I'm just not very hard on my gears.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment