Where to buy gas canisters

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Where to buy gas canisters

Postby Quarksta » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:49 pm

I live in Sydney, but over the years I have been finding it harder and harder to find gas canisters. Stores like Kathmandu and Macpac used to carry them but no longer do. Does anyone have any recommendations for where you get your gas canisters?

I am particularly after the MSR isobutane canisters.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Where to buy gas canisters

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:41 pm

Paddy Pallin (on kent street in CBD) stocks MSR and a few other brands. Quite a few of the other stores on Kent Street do as well. You just got unlucky checking the 2 stores that don't

In the suburbs Rays outdoors and disposal/camping stores will also usually stock though it may not always be MSR brand.

Edited for clarification.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:35 am

I wasn't aware that MSR has straight iso-butane canisters, I thought all MSR canisters were mixes with propane
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby legend » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:44 pm

BCF also have them - much cheaper than MSR (same gas, same factory but renamed)
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:50 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I wasn't aware that MSR has straight iso-butane canisters, I thought all MSR canisters were mixes with propane

They have one called IsoPro which is 80% + IsoButane, and sold as "the highest percentage isobutane available" or something similar.

I recently noticed companion 'pro fuel' at BCF, it's really cheap for a 480gm canister at $17, with a mix of Butane 45%, Isobutane 28%, Propane 26%. Has anyone tried it ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Quarksta » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you for all the responses. I was in Katoomba today and Macpac there stock MSR gas. They were $13 for the 230g canister which is a pretty reasonable price. Not as cheap as CasualNerd has seen but I don't want canisters that big for hiking and I want a gas blend that works well in colder conditions.

Moondog55, you are right too. The MSR canisters do have propane in, however, they go by the name Isopro or Isobutane Propane fuel.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bernieq » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 10:29 pm

The gas mixture topic has been done to death but, briefly and just in case anyone's missed it, choose the canister with more propane (then iso-butane more than n-butane).

You'll find more technicsl discussion that you need at https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites ... xtures.htm

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby roysta » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 4:28 pm

For a straight overnight walk I believe the Jetboil 100g canister is as good as you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Return to Equipment