Leak proof little bottles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Leak proof little bottles

Postby Suz » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey all,

I'm on the look out for leak proof bottles in small sizes so I can carry infused cooking oils (truffle, garlic, etc.) with me. I have not had any luck with my search.

Has anyone had success locating absolutely leak proof small bottles in the 50-100ml size? <bonus points if they are stackable>

If no one knows of any I guess I will go with little water bottles.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Leak proof little bottles

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 5:28 pm

Essence bottles
Queen vanilla essence bottles, sorry they don't stack
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 5:35 pm

If you're shopping tier gear has some and snowys has a nalgene set. Reject shop has travel kits but not very good.

http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products/ ... -spout-lid
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Suz » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you!

I shall try some nalgene ones from PaddyP first as I'm headed there this week anyway :)
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taipan821 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 7:13 pm

If you go onto ebay and look up 'sample cosmetic containers' you should find some examples
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 7:20 pm

Oil is a funny one as I've had all kinds of "leakproof" bottles eventually seem to weep a bit. The nalgene ones work well, but because they are HDPE they will absorb flavors. Also if you want the travel set, I'd grab one as they are getting hard to find, and may be discontinued. Even if you use it for other stuff, they are handy.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 7:56 pm

Funny how when bushwalking you scan for and look at items by extra criteria like size/weight/shape/reusability/leaky/dry/double duty beyond the function/price/quality
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 9:15 pm

Daiso have a great selection too, if you have one nearby.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chunder fuzz » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 9:34 pm

I've got some small ~50mL bottles at work, plastic or glass. I'll check their 'leakability' with some oil tomorrow. They are pretty cheap from memory. Also they are flat so are fairly stackable.

I'll post a pic some time tomorrow to see if they'll suit, and confirm it holds the oil in too.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 9:43 pm

Actually for oil I have used those little foil packs with screw lids baby foods come in, you need a very small funnel tho, also handy for a nip of something for after dinner
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 1:10 am

Oil manages to sneak out through the threads of many supposedly leak proof containers. I can't count the number of times the oil from my home made pesto has escaped its container and made a mess. I wish somebody out there would make and sell small, lightweight, oil-tight containers for bushwalkers.

I use a small Platypus collapsible bottle for carrying 100-200ml of oil. I'm not sure if they still make them that small though. I also use Moondog's method, the small plastic (or plastic and foil) baby food containers. I've used those for oil, pesto (got to be fine grind) and also regularly carry my sunscreen in a little baby food container. It's kind of a pain to fill them and clean them though. I've used a syringe to put pesto in them. Both the platypus and the baby food containers are unoffensive in terms of absorbing or giving off flavors. They're probably PET.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:45 am

Urine specimen jars :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 8:43 am

Nalgene works for me with olive oil and peanut butter (separately :lol: )

I have never had any sign of a leak from the Nalgenes, but I always put the bottles in a freezer bag - just in case.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:13 am

stry wrote:Nalgene works for me with olive oil and peanut butter (separately :lol: )

I have never had any sign of a leak from the Nalgenes, but I always put the bottles in a freezer bag - just in case.

Which Nalgene product? They produce so many.

For years I kept trying to coax small Nalgene polycarbonate screw top jars into holding pesto. I tried various tricks. None worked.

There are small Nalgene screw top HDPE bottles that would hold olive oil (I've used them for that), but as someone else pointed out that plastic has a habit of both absorbing and imparting flavors. It wouldn't be bad for frying oil but maybe not so good an idea for truffle oil. Don't put the good whisky (or any whisky) in those things!

Nalgene also makes small polycarbonate bottles. I think they even call them leak proof. I've used them for whiskey but not oil.

Another possibility is small water bottles, the disposible 4oz kind that some water companies sell. At least they do here in California. I bought a case of those tiny things, mainly for carrying whisky on trips. I haven't tried to carry oil in them yet but it's worth trying.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:43 am

My solution to the leaking oil problem is to only carry solid cooking fats - butter or ghee, coconut, beef / pork. If you're infusing your own oils this might help.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:52 am

I been using the 100ml bottle from Picharpak for a couple of years now, hasn't let me down yet.
http://store.picharpak.com/index.php?ro ... duct_id=72

Used a empty Visine eye dropper bottle in the past, they come in 15 & 30ml. Leak proof.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 11:08 am

My solution is much more "old fashioned' I simply double or triple bag and wrap the inner bottle/plastic tub in some paper towel. Burn or compost the paper when i get home [ makes an excellent emergecy firelighter too ]
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 11:55 am

Moondog55 wrote:My solution is much more "old fashioned' I simply double or triple bag and wrap the inner bottle/plastic tub in some paper towel. Burn or compost the paper when i get home [ makes an excellent emergecy firelighter too ]

Ha! I've done the same many times but never thought of it as a solution or old fashioned either. More of a stopgap.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 9:41 pm

Not bottles, but stackable tubs: http://www.decor.com.au/product/bright- ... bs-150-ml/
I use the smaller ones which you can see at the bottom of the page, for moisturiser & cleanser when travelling. They have never leaked... but oil always seems to find a way.
Sistema do a similar product.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 11:35 am

When I'd posted I'd forgotten that I had recently used a disposable water bottle for oil. I'd poured our unused oil into a plastic bottle before flying home from a trip. The bottle was in our checked luggage and it did just fine; no leakage. It's larger than the smaller bottles I use sometimes but the same basic construction and similar type of cap. I think the little one on the right in the photo below, which holds about 240ml, would likely be just as oil tight. They are about as light a bottle for the size that you can find and are much stronger than you'd think.

Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 1:13 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 5:48 pm

Mini nalgenes and in a zip lock for security.

Just a thought; if you have a vac sealer you can get narrower (~80mm)/ foil backed bags, iv'e not tried making single serve 'tubes'/ 'sticks'.. but have vac sealed small packets of sd tomatoes heavy in oil, no dramas there. Double sealed them at one stage (one bag inside another) but don't think that was overly necessary, or wouldn't be for small tubes.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm with icefest with pathology specimen jars for urine (maybe coz I have easy access to them?). But I've not tried them with oil.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Orion » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 1:56 am

Aren't those specimen jars LDPE? Or are they some other polymer? I've found that LDPE adversely affects the flavor of contained foods. It's not a problem with DEET (re: South_Aussie_Hiker's link).

Maybe the taste of urine doesn't suffer either, I can't say.

For an oil infused with some aromatic substance I think one would want to minimize any interaction with the container material. Even PET and polycarbonate are not inert in that respect, just a lot better than LDPE. Glass would probably be ideal, if you didn't mind the weight.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 6:10 am

Orion wrote:Aren't those specimen jars LDPE? Or are they some other polymer?

The ones with the yellow lids are polystyrene, and are very brittle. You can also get polypropylene ones that are much stronger and more flexible, but cost a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 7:41 am

Strider wrote:The ones with the yellow lids are polystyrene, and are very brittle. You can also get polypropylene ones that are much stronger and more flexible, but cost a bit more.

Polypropylene sounds much better. My Aeropress coffee maker is polyproylene.
I'll have to see how hard it is to order some of those jars. It would be cool to get some that actually say "urine" on them.

Don't know about food and polystyrene but I can confirm its brittleness. I have some of that material in sheet form for hobby use and the way you cut it is to make a tiny scratch on it with a blade and then snap it in half.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 10:56 am

Urine jars!

I will try those :) And double bag them - maybe with paper towel around.

For anyone else looking for these - like the body bag, this is another product available from your local vet hospital.

I will see how I go re: the plastic contaminating the flavour.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 2:51 am

Vet hospital? So you go in and ask if you can have some old urine jars??

I tried to find a source on the internet and was rebuffed. Seems they are available in cases of 100 or so. One local lab supply place that I've ordered small items from in the past required business documentation in order to buy them, which surprised me. Are specimen jars used for illegal purposes?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:08 am

yep, pre-loads for drug testing is one I can think of.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Sat 10 Jun, 2017 7:22 am

You can get urine speci jars at the pharmacy. I have used the poo ones for peanut butter- it even has a little scoop! Great for photos :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment