Printing out QTOPO Maps

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Printing out QTOPO Maps

Postby taipan821 » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello All

2 part question

Part A: How do people find QTOPO Maps, I'm looking at them but it seems only a selection of tracks and roads appear on them (Looking at Paluma Dam, where there should be an old forestry road continuing from the dam wall) is this deliberate in the maps, or do I have the wrong settings?

Part B: What size of map do people prefer most? does the larger map give more detail, or cover a larger area?

Your comments are appreciated
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Printing out QTOPO Maps

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:51 pm

taipan821 wrote:Hello All

2 part question

Part A: How do people find QTOPO Maps, I'm looking at them but it seems only a selection of tracks and roads appear on them (Looking at Paluma Dam, where there should be an old forestry road continuing from the dam wall) is this deliberate in the maps, or do I have the wrong settings?

Part B: What size of map do people prefer most? does the larger map give more detail, or cover a larger area?

Your comments are appreciated

I'm a complete newbie to QTOPO, just back from a trip to Cairns and discovered the site the other week while looking for info on some local day walks.
I planned to hike Walsh's Pyramid, and customised and printed a map for that purpose. I was quite impressed by the quality of the A4 map I ended up with. I stuck it in my pocket for most of the climb/descent as it wasn't really needed except to remind me of how steep the mountain is. But the track and contours were clearly marked in quite high definition. My first impression is that it's probably better that the similar NSW Six Maps but I haven't done a side by side comparison. I had a look at the Paluma Dam location (I haven't been to that part of the world) and if you use the "Click here to" button and select "View layer metadata", under Vehicular Tracks and Changes to data I found the comment "Attribute or spatial attributes have been altered for this dataset". Not conclusive but it may indicate why the forestry road is missing. I started to drill deeper from there and there is a lot of spatial/dataset information that you can access, but getting out of my depth (I almost lost the will to live at one point). I think it's probably a case of the more you play with the tool the more you unearth about the functionality. I will use try using it again when I next visit QLD.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Printing out QTOPO Maps

Postby taipan821 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 2:48 pm

I got the Mt Spec map printed onto tyvek at my local office works (A1), let's see how it fares
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment