Insulated Air Mattress Options

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby nq111 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 7:52 pm

My Exped Synmat UL 7 internally delaminated on a recent car camping trip with the kids. It was 5 or 6 years old so I am not complaining about the quality.

Question is, rather than automatically replace with another Exped Synmat - what does the bushwalk.com brains trust have to say about any alternatives? I haven't really been following the insulated mat market over recent years so interested to hear if any new alternatives that are worth looking at?

For info the synmat was R-value about 3.1, weight about 460g for full length (183cm). I don't need a higher r-value and I like the length.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby RonK » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 8:17 pm

Mine has done the same, and really we should be annoyed - everybody I know who owns one has experienced exactly the same failure.

I can't be bothered to complain, but I'll never buy another Exped product. I'm going to take my business elsewhere and buy a Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated Mat.
RonK

Re: Insulated Air Mattress Options

Postby Neo » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:07 pm

I've got a Nemo short about $135 on special from Paddy's. Only ten nights or more but is good, a bit of mylar inside.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:10 pm

Heres an Exped sim lite in darwin if you want to try again. Negotiate...

Hiking/ camping self inflating mat,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/millner/ ... pp_android

Price: $100
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:10 pm

Happy with my Thermarest Neo Xlite Large. Lot of people go for the women's version or the Xtherm. I would have bought the STS Comfort Light which I think are great but I'm heavy and my hip pushed the mat to the ground when on my side.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:27 am

What RonK said
I am very happy with my S2S comfort plus but if you don't need the high R-value the uninsulated is R2.5 so not good for snow
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby nq111 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks all.

So looks like the S2S ultralight insulated mat is pretty similar to my old Exped Synmat UL in terms of weight, size and R-value and possibly preferred by most these days over the Exped (the S2S weren't around when i bought the Exped). They are also available at a good price (circa $130 for regular size).

Otherwise the Thermarest Neo's are lighter for equivalent R-values but quite a bit more expensive.

I had a look at the Nemo mats but at full length they don't seem to be competitive on weight with the above options?

That seems to be the options - am I missing anything? I don't really want a mat warmer than R3ish as I prefer to also take a CCF as well when snow camping to boost the warmth (i like the backup as well in case the air mat gets destroyed).
nq111

Postby Mark F » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:07 am

I have just moved to an Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW (Medium Wide) - very happy with it for comfort. They certainly have the best range of wide mats without having to buy one with excess length.

I understand Exped did have a serious problem with seams popping on their mats a few years ago but that seems to have been overcome.

To me, between Exped and S2S they really have priced Thermarests out of the Australian market.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tortoise » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:26 am

Mark F wrote:I understand Exped did have a serious problem with seams popping on their mats a few years ago but that seems to have been overcome.

Have their valves got any easier to use? While I still love sleeping on my Downmat for car camping luxury, I hate and detest those valves that I have to wrestle with every time I inflate/adjust/deflate. I don't have strong fingers, I've now got arthritis in my thumbs, and in the cold it's worse. That's the reason I don't expect to ever buy one again.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:24 am

Mark F wrote:I understand Exped did have a serious problem with seams popping on their mats a few years ago but that seems to have been overcome.

It was a serious fault, and as I've commented previously, everybody I know who owns one has had the same issue. It's been a standing joke in my circle who has had the latest failure. Exped should have recalled and replaced them all.

Even if it has now been resolved, all those people have lost faith in Exped products and probably won't buy from them again.
RonK

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:30 am

RonK wrote:
Even if it has now been resolved, all those people have lost faith in Exped products and probably won't buy from them again.

Yes This includeds sleeping bags and tents, a lot of lost sales because of lousy customer service on a poor product
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:08 am

Therm-a-rest Neoair models can be purchased significantly cheaper if you're willing to buy from the UK. I just made use of an ebay 15% coupon code and got a large Xtherm for $210AUD including shipping. Cheapest price in Australia was ~$450. (Don't worry I give my fair share of business to local retailers)
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:56 pm

findbuddha wrote:Therm-a-rest Neoair models can be purchased significantly cheaper if you're willing to buy from the UK.

Thanks, yeah a little research over the weekend and I found some cheaper options for the Thermarest like you mention. I don't mind paying a little more to buy in Australia but not at over double the price.

Puts the Neoair Xlite in contention.
nq111

Postby crollsurf » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:48 pm

Best price I found in Sydney for a Thermarest was Alpsport. Open 7 days but were closed the day I went to buy! Annoyed about that and ended up buying from UK fleabay seller SheweeUK and landed a large for ~$250
Alpsport currently selling Neo Xlite Regular for $327, Large for $387 https://alpsport.com.au/thermarest/neoair-xlite

Edit - Wildearth are selling a regular for $314 and being a bricks and mortar as well as online, some shops will match that price.
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/thermarest-neoair-xlite-ultralight-hiking-mattress/6073
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Avatar » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 2:13 pm

I just made use of an ebay 15% coupon code and got a large Xtherm for $210AUD including shipping. Cheapest price in Australia was ~$450.

So much for the miracle of globalisation delivering for consumers. Don't wring your hands on this - just ask yourself what big corporate would do.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 7:34 am

Picked up a new Neoair Xlite for under $200 shipped to the door. Only 350g and right size and r-value.

Thanks for all the options.
nq111

Postby Neo » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:21 pm

[/quote]
So much for the miracle of globalisation delivering for consumers. Don't wring your hands on this - just ask yourself what big corporate would do.[/quote]

Yeah I want to buy Aussie but when it comes from the same place I'll shop around if it's half price.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a nemo tensor s. So far used it down to about 5 degrees C and its been great. Thick and comfortable while also very lightweight. Appears fairly durable also. If I could do the purchase again id probably go the insulated version though. Minimal increase in weight for a broader range of conditions.

edit. ah whoops I see you have already made your purchase. ! :D
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment