Light(ish) weight crampons for hiking/backpacking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Light(ish) weight crampons for hiking/backpacking

Postby findbuddha » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:48 am

I'm in the process of acquiring gear for future travel and would appreciate some advice about spikes/crampons for use primarily on the 3 Passes/EBC trek in Nepal (but likely also other alpine walks with the potential for icy surfaces, snow, glaciers, rock etc). If I ever do any actual mountaineering I understand I'll need more serious equipment than this. I have read through most of the old threads on here about this issue but thought the topic could do with some new discussion as new products seem to be available now. :)

My boots are Salomon Quest 4D 2, so require strap-on bindings.

My two main choices at this point are:
Kahtoola Microspikes - 338g in medium (though one shop I trust has them at closer to 400g)
-Pros: stainless steel spikes, easy on-off, compact
-Cons: only 1cm spikes, held on only by elastic material, small clusters of spikes separated by chain potentially prone to rolling?

Petzl Leopard FL - 360g
-Pros: proper strap-on system not reliant on elastic material, longer spikes, larger clusters of spikes presumably more secure on the foot, fairly compact
-Cons: aluminium spikes, Dyneema cord potentially at risk of wear (though I've only found one review complaining of this, others are positive)

Other options vary from significantly to marginally lighter, but appear to offer significantly less traction and/or on-foot security eg. Vargo Titanium Pocket Crampons, Nortec Trail Micro Crampons, Petzl Spiky Plus, Grivel Spider. Or go heavier/bulkier with proper steel crampons.

Thanks!
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Light(ish) weight crampons for hiking/backpacking

Postby wayno » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:24 am

microspikes are for flattish icy surfaces. no use on anything other than a moderate slope, no use if they can't grip the surface without sinking in... if you have ice under even a thin, soft snow surface the are likely not to be able to purchase at all and you'll just slide off the slope.
you'll have to watch the petzls near sharp rocks or the cord will be cut
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:49 pm

My experience says go with a proper boot and real crampons, flexible steel crampons are not that much heavier than the LW aluminium and provide real grip.
Sometimes the boot is far more important than the crampon and boots and crampons need to be suitable for each other naturally.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby nq111 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:58 pm

My Kathoola K10s are about 650g in my size but are full steel.

Still a long way from a proper crampon but much more versatile than microspikes.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby andrewa » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:44 pm

I've got a couple of pairs of Camp aluminium crampons which from memory are about 3-350g. Perfect for Bogong. No doubt aluminium would wear down quickly if used on mixed ground, but I don't.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby roysta » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 6:54 pm

nq111 wrote:My Kathoola K10s are about 650g in my size but are full steel.

Still a long way from a proper crampon but much more versatile than microspikes.
the Kahtoola KTS crampons are really good to hang off trail runners or hiking boots.
They're basically 10 pointers with a reasonable spike length.
Aluminium and weighing 540g.
I have microspikes as well, but they're really only for streets and light ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 7:28 pm

I borrowed a pair of microspikes for Nepal. When I went we had quite a bit on snow on EBC, and some parts were icy, but I don't recall anyone using crampons. For what it's worth, I didn't end up using them for either the EBC or ABC.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Travis22 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:19 pm

I have some Petzl C1 Crampons, cannot remember what ones they are but they look much the same as the Irvis model iirc.

Id say twice the weight of the stuff your looking at (600-700g) but they feel very secure and fit my Scarpa SL Activ's very well, i think they are just about as solid as you can get for use with a traditional hiking boot.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby gbagua » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey fb,

As adviced don't buy anything that is microspikes because if you run into trouble you may risk serious injury or even death.

Since you live in QLD you can purchase this kit from a seller located in the GC:

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/petzl- ... 40-T05FL02

Don't get fooled with the ice climbing tag, that's a nice pair of crampons. I have used something similar when I used to hike and climb back in Europe.

Have fun! ;)
gbagua

Postby findbuddha » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! For space and weight reasons I decided not to go with full size crampons like the Vasaks linked.

I had a conversation with a very helpful employee of Petzl and have ordered some Petzl Irvis Hybrid crampons. He suggested the lever lock system will actually work with the Quest 4D hiking boots but if I find it doesn't fit securely I'll get some of the strap-on heel pieces. The Irvis Hybrid have a similar design to the Leopard (very compact due to Dyneema linkage) but have a steel front portion for better durability and ice penetration. Only 540g.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 4:39 pm

Nice purchase FB, im sure they will do a fantastic job!

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Travis22 » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 4:50 pm

Keep us posted on how well they fit to your boots. I had a look at mine and they are Petzl Irvis crampons but they look identical to the Vasak ones in the Wild Earth link (except they are 10point as opposed to the Vasak's 12). Id say they must be the previous generation in that they have the same strap attachment types, the tab and rings off the main body of the crampons, where as it looks like they have now updates this design; perhaps like you mention maybe this new design allows the user to easily change the attachment type (strap or clip/lever lock)?

Travis.
Travis22

Postby findbuddha » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks Travis, this is the alternate attachment that Petzl confirmed to fit the Irvis Hybrid - the product page suggests it's compatible with the current range of crampons.

T03A-BFL-BACK-FLEX_LowRes.jpeg
Back Flex

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Crampons/BACK-FLEX

I'll update this thread when they arrive :)
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 4:33 pm

Here's an in-depth review of those hybrids:

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17w/ms-p ... d-crampons

Which have some issues with certain type of boots. Just make sure that glitch doesn't interfere with an easy clipping on the boots you're intending to use. Cheers!
gbagua

Postby findbuddha » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:45 pm

Just following up on this thread: I received the Irvis Hybrid crampons and the Back Flex rear binding. The lever lock binding system definitely does NOT work with my boots (Quest 4d 2 UK size 10) as the sole of the boot is too wide. It fits perfectly with the flex rear binding.

I got to have a quick wander around in the snow in NZ with them on this past week.

IMG_20170815_142459.jpg
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment