Nordisk tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nordisk tents

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 3:49 pm

Particularly the Svarlbard which looks just like a sophisticated Eureka Firelite or the Cliplite
http://www.nordisk.eu/fgreen/products/t ... _model/si/
1700grams for a Hurricane proof tent is hard to believe but the wind tunnel test looks convincing
I really did like my Firelite but my daughter will not give it back
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Nordisk tents

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 3:53 pm

They should also wind tunnel demonstrate from different angles.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 4:06 pm

They should I agree.
Still very impressive tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 4:17 pm

Need comparison of different tents under the same condition too. Suspect there'll be variations in the result when wind speed fluctuates.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 4:28 pm

I've 'kicked the tyres' on one, a good looking tent, it was a one man thing, forget it's name. I thought it would suffer from condensation a little in Tassie. The wind tunnel tests aren't very relevant imho, unless they can make it gust, and swing, and swirl etc etc
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:21 pm

Just eyeing off a Nordisk Telemark 1 LW on Wiggle for just $408 delivered. Good value for a 830g tent tested to 90kph. Compared to the ULW version which substitutes a cf pole for the al pole saving 70g in the process for $304 more it seems like a no brainer.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:41 pm

Mark F wrote:Just eyeing off a Nordisk Telemark 1 LW on Wiggle for just $408 delivered. Good value for a 830g tent tested to 90kph. Compared to the ULW version which substitutes a cf pole for the al pole saving 70g in the process for $304 more it seems like a no brainer.

So what will you be selling off?
830grams is lighter than my big winter bivvy sac
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ithomas » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello
I have a brand new Svalbard 1 - SI. Not used it in the bush yet, but a couple of set-ups in the backyard convinced me that it will be excellent in heavy weather. It pitches tight and seems bombproof. After 60 years of bushwalking and climbing I reckon I know bombproof when I see it. The outer annex is good enough for boots and cooking equipment but is hardly big enough for a sizeable pack. However, the slightly kooky off-centre entrance/front means that a pack can easily be stored inside the tent itself. The Svalbard has a VERY spacious interior for a 1 person tent, with heaps of length, width and headroom. Like most tapered designs, cross-ventilation is a little restricted. I think some sort of zipped, mozzie proofed flap at the rear would be better than the standard vent provided. The thing which I found most disconcerting was the slipperiness of the sil flysheet! It seemed to flow like water and slip out of my fingers as I manipulated it during the pitch. Sorting out the starting peg configuration solved that problem. I prefer integral pitches rather than the inner first mode available on the Svalbard but really, it is a quick and easy pitch so no problem there.
Ian
ithomas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:06 pm

md - Something will have to go but what? I will wait till I get a chance to test out the Nordisk on an 8 day ramble around all the 2K peaks in November but the Competition 1 is the one in the gun or else the Nordisk if not happy with it. The Solplex will remain my 3 season below treeline tent and the smd cuben Haven as the 2 person equivalent to the Solplex.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:11 pm

Mark send me your exped lightning pack! to free up some gear (or maybe that was an andrew who has one) :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:21 pm

Sorry Neo - not me. I only have a Zpacks Arc Blast and a frameless Laufbursche Huckepack (old version) but will be moving on a Macpac Amp 40 soon.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm

Bah! Waiting until i can try one or buy one. Outdoorfair.de has them in black and ships to aus. Worth a punt online as a trip to the big smoke costs just as much.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm

I can prob squeeze cold gear in/around a 45 but not 40
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 01 Jul, 2017 9:41 pm

I've been looking but so far I've not found any verified wind tunnel test of the Macpac Minaret or any videos of one out in real weather.
OK Let's face it, in real weather I want to be inside in the shelter not outside being snowed on but there are crazier folk than me out there
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sat 01 Jul, 2017 10:00 pm

Usually in extreme conditions you are inside sheltering, not outside videoing your potential demise.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 12:23 am

It's that balance between weight and "perceived" weather proofness. A game.

Aged 4-5, I remember making shelters in the back yard out of wood/ply etc, and asking my mother to try to hose me until I gave in. It's sort of "in my bones" to stay dry in the worst conditions.

But, "getting it right", involves having a coping mechanism for any gear failure. Fortunately, I've never had a really bad tent failure, but I'm careful with where and how I pitch.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Mark F » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 2:52 pm

I couldn't resist. My Telemark 1 UL arrived today and while I am yet to pitch it I am impressed by the attention to detail. The inner, fly and pole weighs spot on the claimed 830g , the inner includes a built in tent bag with pockets for the poles and pegs and enough room to include the fly. The pole folds down to 34cm so the packed tent is not super long and awkward in the pack. Add on 100g for the included peg bag, 7 15cm tri-pegs, 2 extra guy lines, pole repair sleeve and 3 spare inner tent clips. All cords are 2mm Dyneema. Also included is a repair swatch of the fly fabric and it comes in another waterproof stuff sac.

It looks ideal for 3 seasons above the treeline. I will add photos etc once pitched and put a review in the Gear Reviews section.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 4:16 pm

How does it compare with the laser competition?

BTW, I've finished modifying my photon elite - done the V pole ends- just waiting for the poles to arrive, and then I'll pitch and photograph. Also put zips in the ends of both inner and outer.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Mark F » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 9:28 pm

Some time next week I will try to do a comparison between the Laser Comp and the Telemark 1. My question marks over the Telemark are head height (Laser Comp is a bit higher) and the 10d fly material with the positives being a high level vent and a 170g+ weight saving. The only major issue for me with the Laser Comp is ventilation. Assuming I can solve the ventilation issue then the Laser Comp would be my choice for snow but the lower weight of the Telemark 1 would make it my choice for above treeline 3/4 seasons.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 9:38 pm

Mark F wrote:The inner, fly and pole weighs spot on the claimed 830g.

Spot on the claimed 830g? That would be pretty incredible unless they have one final QA that trims excess or add weight before shipping.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 9:53 pm

I was surprised but the tent was 1g over but the scale's margin of error is at least 5 grams over the three items weighed - inner 365g, fly 350g, pole 116g. I could cut off a label or two to save the 1g.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 12:46 am

Ok, benefit of doubt. I'll accept they are a fantastic company with obsessive QA. It's a buy!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jimmeyer176 » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 3:48 pm

Mark F wrote:I couldn't resist. My Telemark 1 UL arrived today and while I am yet to pitch it I am impressed by the attention to detail. The inner, fly and pole weighs spot on the claimed 830g , the inner includes a built in tent bag with pockets for the poles and pegs and enough room to include the fly. The pole folds down to 34cm so the packed tent is not super long and awkward in the pack. Add on 100g for the included peg bag, 7 15cm tri-pegs, 2 extra guy lines, pole repair sleeve and 3 spare inner tent clips. All cords are 2mm Dyneema. Also included is a repair swatch of the fly fabric and it comes in another waterproof stuff sac.

It looks ideal for 3 seasons above the treeline. I will add photos etc once pitched and put a review in the Gear Reviews section.

Can you sit up in it? I was looking at this design but it appears to be too small to sit up in?
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 4:08 pm

jimmeyer176 wrote:Can you sit up in it? I was looking at this design but it appears to be too small to sit up in?

I just posted a fairly complete review of the Telemark 1 in the Gear Review section http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26008

I am 180cm and my head touches the roof when sitting on my Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW but not enough to annoy me and I don't tend to sit up in a tent, much prefer slouching on my elbow like on the couch at home :) The Telemark 2 has an additional 140mm of head height and only weighs an extra 120 grams.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment