cooking set for two?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

cooking set for two?

Postby Juudbruinsma » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 11:02 am

Hi all,

Looking to get a new cooking set. We use a gas stove, and are looking for a two person set-up that is compact and light weight if possible. At the moment we have a bit of a mishmash of items that all together are a bit heavy and not that easy to pack. Our trips generally are between 3 - 7 days and we currently we tend to use 2x mugs, 2x bowls, 1 pot. Had a look at the MSR quick 2 system - anyone experience with that? Any other recommendations?

Cheers
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: cooking set for two?

Postby Mark F » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 12:23 pm

Many of those packaged systems are very heavy. The one you mention is 800 grams but could have a pot dropped out of it to fit your specs but you still need to carry the gas canister separately. The pot and bowls etc are always a bit bulky but usually the interiors are filled with gas canister, stove, spices, etc so not much wasted volume.

When I walk with my partner we use a modded ti pot - 900 ml (87g with cosy etc) but most would prefer something around 1300 ml. I eat out of the pot and my partner uses a repurposed bowl from Lean Cuisine which weighs about 18g. We carry a 550 ml ti mug (mug, lid and cosy is 95g) for her tea fetish and a simple screw top plastic container (42 g) as a second mug/bowl. This gives a very flexible setup with multiple pots and rehydrating options for 240g but doesn't nicely pack into itself but becomes 3 lumps plus the bowl which is quite flexible when spread out through the packs.

The pot fits the gas canister, stove and lighter. The ti mug takes hot drink components and the screw lid bowl takes wiping cloth, and condiments.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 4:27 pm

More information needed
What type of cooking do you do? Above or below the snowline? Do you drink a lot of tea and/or coffee.
I'm in the bigger is better camp where pots are concerned so I have the bigger TOAKS pot now and I consider 900ml a coffee cup but I'm a caffiene fiend. I'm also of the opinion/experience that everybody should carry their own eating kit seperate from the cooking kit, no matter how well you know each other cross contamination does happen.
So if you each carry a titanium cup/spoon and a LW plastic bowl do you need a single pot or does your food need two pots to cook?
A pot with cosie as part of the kit?
Into camp and water goes on to boil for Cuppasoup and meal rehydration or do you do real raw food like lentils and rice?
I really have grown to like the ALDi set, last ski season it was all I used but I left the smallest pot and the tiny kettle behind
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 7:15 pm

I use a single metal cup for cooking, eating and drinking. Each member of the party has their own. That plus a titanium spoon and a small stove (alcohol in my case) and I'm sorted.

Mind you, the "cooking" I do mainly involves boiling water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Juudbruinsma » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 9:23 am

Moondog55 wrote:More information needed

Hi Moondog, so far our cooking is basically:
- Breakfast: boiling water for porridge and tea / coffee (1 or 2 cups each)
- Lunch: no cooking
- Dinner / camp: cupasoup or the likes, strive or backcountry (or just Deb potato and peas), so basically just boiling stuff - Strive requires longer cooking times (needing to simmer rice and the like). We do like a cup of tea / chocolate as well (1 cup each).

So I think one large pot would suffice?

We generally hike below snowline.

We currently use the s2s collapsible cups and bowls, but I think their relatively heavy, and the cleaning can be a bit of a pain (I find that my tea sometimes tastes like the cupasoup I'd just had)

Good tip re the Aldi stuff, just noticed that sale is coming up again this weekend. Have heard others commenting that they like the pots.
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Juudbruinsma » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 9:28 am

Mark F wrote:I eat out of the pot and my partner uses a repurposed bowl from Lean Cuisine which weighs about 18g.

Thanks! I like the idea of just packing one bowl and have the other person eat from the pot. Yes, currnetly I can pack the gas cannister, stove and matches etc into the pot, which is good. I am thinking now that it might be the bowls / cups etc that we need to rethink rather than the pots per se....
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 9:44 am

Re the plastic/silicon cups This is why I prefer my Stainless or Titanium cups, I don't like my chicken or tomato soup tasting like Drambuie
Have you tried using something like a big yoghurt container to presoak the Strive?
I use rice and peas a lot [ at least I used to] and I'd measure out the amount into a small leakproof container at my lunch break, add water then at dinner time it took much less fuel to cook and I'd leave to one side insulated in my jumper to finish cooking.
Taking the extra weight of a second pot/ container and a cosie can actually save weight over a trip longer than 3 days because of the saved fuel cost, if you have to cook for a long time it starts to use a lot of gas.
I didn't see the big cookset in the current Aldi catalogue
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 1:00 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Re the plastic/silicon cups This is why I prefer my Stainless or Titanium cups, I don't like my chicken or tomato soup tasting like Drambuie

That doesn't sound so bad; the inverse, well... :(

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment