Kahtoola Microspikes Sizing

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Kahtoola Microspikes Sizing

Postby issyg » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 7:38 am

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes. I was wondering if anyone has them and can advise on sizing. I am a size 7 - 8 (I'm normally an EU 38 but it seems I have a few 39s as well) womens. I was looking at getting a size small but I am worried they will be too small. I have a pair of Zamberlan's but the size has faded off which isn't helpful. Can anyone share their experience? Cheers.
issyg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: UTAS Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Re: Kahtoola Microspikes Sizing

Postby cams » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 9:29 am

My wife used her size small spikes on her size US7.5 Salamon Quest 4D boots a couple of weeks ago for the first time since getting the boots. These boots are chunkier around the sole than her last ones and the spikes were definitely tighter, but did seem to work ok.

On the other hand, my large spikes that worked well on my older boots (which were chunkier ones) didn't work so well on my newer Salewa mountain trainers which are a less chunky boot. They kept slipping off to the side.

So I guess in my small amount of experience I'd opt for tighter sizing on the spikes. Hopefully others weigh in on this.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Pteropus » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 10:11 am

I have a pair of Large sized Kahtoola Microspikes that fit tightly over my size 9.5ish boots. I think they only come in S, M, L & XL. Though I haven’t had the pleasure of requiring them recently, I recall that though they fit nice and tight over the boot, though there was a little slipping of one of the pair of spikes under the boot that I had to regularly adjust. It wasn’t a major drama though and the spikes worked fine, but yeah, as cams suggest, tighter sizing should be better.

I just checked their website too which has a guide on sizing of spikes to shoe and I note that for my 9.5 boot they suggest medium size spikes.
http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

280 Microspikes.JPG
Kahtoola microspikes
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby issyg » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've found a pair to look at, but I am also considering Icetrekker Diamond Grip's... we shall see.
issyg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slparker » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 1:06 pm

I recently went through the same process and ordered a medium when I am at the lower range of large. My rationale is that I'd rather that they be more difficult to put on than risk them slipping.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 1:18 pm

I have mediums which fit well on Salomon Synapse, X-Ultra shoes and X-Chase mids, all in size 45.3 but I wouldn't want to fit them on anything much larger. I believe the issue with sizing is that the stated sizing is for fitting quite chunky winter boots, not lighter trail shoes and mids.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mark_O » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi issyg,
You have reminded me that I have a couple of pairs of hardly used microspikes that I should get rid of. I'll put a notice up in the Market Place however for the same price ($90) as a new set you are welcome to both a small and a medium set second hand but in VGC. That said, I would expect the small to be the best size for your shoes.
Mark_O
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby issyg » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks Mark_O, I've sent you a PM.
issyg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby iTool » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 9:47 pm

Had these when I lived in Canada. On my EU43 Scarpa Kailash boots, large used to slip too much. Mediums could still slip a bit at times, but overall were a much better fit and still easy to get on.
iTool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby issyg » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks again for all the input, I got a small pair and they fit quite well. Now I just need to get out and use them!
issyg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment