Small spotlight for animal spotting

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Small spotlight for animal spotting

Postby Pteropus » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 10:27 am

Can anyone recommend a small lightweight torch (either hand held or head torch) that I can use for spotlighting animals? Something that my young kid can hold and definitely not one of those pistol-grip style hunting ones, nor a massive Maglight with multiple D-sized batteries, but a little more powerful than my Petzel (Tikkina??) head torch. Something bright with a decent beam on it and preferably with a red filter so as to be less intrusive on the animals.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Re: Small spotlight for animal spotting

Postby ofuros » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 8:18 pm

I usually strap my nitecore hc30 to my almost 5yr olds head when we go urban spotlighting,
Lightweight so there's no strain on the childs neck.
Powerful beam & waterproof. Battery lasts well.
You get a little clip with it too so you can attach to a shirt pocket or pack shoulder strap or it can be hand held.
No red filter though.
A few clicks on the button gets you a strong beam for bats or possums high up in the tree canopy to a very gentle light
for frogs on the forest floor.

Zebralight might have something similar & cheaper in their range.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 9:40 pm

What about an 18650 flashlight ? I have an older model Fenix TK15 and it puts out something like 900 lumens, pretty tight spotlight style beam and multiple light levels. If you have to buy 18650 batteries and charger it might go over $100 though.

That's WAY brighter than your old school D cell maglite and less than 200grams.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby simonm » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 6:44 am

We have sold out of all our Acebeam headlamps and torches but I would recommend having a look at their range, there are other distributors in Australia. The build quality is exceptional on everything I have seen, and light output is excellent. For a torch the EC35 would be a good choice and my kids prefer that to a headlamp.
Spotlighting with the kids.jpg
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Pteropus » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking of just giving the cub my Petzel head torch and then I can get something new for myself :D

I already have a small Fenix LD22 and apparently I can get a red filter for it, but it gets quite hot with a focused beam like a laser that’s a deadly weapon in the hands of my kid. “Look daddy, I shine the torch in your eyes!”

I’ve been told that Ledlenser also make some nice little torches with red filters too, but I suspect they will be similar to the Fenix.

simonm wrote:We have sold out of all our Acebeam headlamps and torches but I would recommend having a look at their range, there are other distributors in Australia. The build quality is exceptional on everything I have seen, and light output is excellent. For a torch the EC35 would be a good choice and my kids prefer that to a headlamp.

I checked your site simonm, and you have some nice looking torches. I did note that for the Acebeam EC35 (similar to the Fenix LD22 I suspect) has a warning that states “1. Don't let children use the torch.”!! Probably coz they like to shine it into people’s eyes..lol
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby simonm » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 3:09 pm

Pteropus wrote:Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking of just giving the cub my Petzel head torch and then I can get something new for myself :D

I already have a small Fenix LD22 and apparently I can get a red filter for it, but it gets quite hot with a focused beam like a laser that’s a deadly weapon in the hands of my kid. “Look daddy, I shine the torch in your eyes!”

I’ve been told that Ledlenser also make some nice little torches with red filters too, but I suspect they will be similar to the Fenix.

simonm wrote:We have sold out of all our Acebeam headlamps and torches but I would recommend having a look at their range, there are other distributors in Australia. The build quality is exceptional on everything I have seen, and light output is excellent. For a torch the EC35 would be a good choice and my kids prefer that to a headlamp.

I checked your site simonm, and you have some nice looking torches. I did note that for the Acebeam EC35 (similar to the Fenix LD22 I suspect) has a warning that states “1. Don't let children use the torch.”!! Probably coz they like to shine it into people’s eyes..lol

Ha ha yes I do expose our children to some risks, and those around them obviously :lol:. My kids are fairly responsible torch users, now. I did take a few shots to the eyes early on though.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Return to Equipment