Bivvys

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Bivvys

Postby geoskid » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 11:23 pm

For those that use them, what do you use, and having used them, what features do you think are important?
I'm keen to explore a Bivvy/tarp combo - I'm thinking fishing/relaxing Lees paddocks without being cooped up in a tent if theres a bit of rain. The weight reduction would be a welcome bonus, currently have a Macpac Minaret.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bivvys

Postby bushrunner » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 4:12 pm

RAB survival zone seems to be the most popular from what I have read. Of course I have never used or even seen one myself though.
bushrunner
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Penguin » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 5:33 pm

Geoskid

I have a MacPac cacoon - which I have used on the last few Stroller walks. This is a Repel material. Main trouble is condesation. Comfort, warmth and space are all okay. Bomb proff with regards to weather.

I had a bit of a scout around receently and there is a nice Black Diamond one on the US websites that has much better ventilation. This would be great with a trap.

I will happily continue to taker the bivvy where there is a hut/shared place to cook. The main hassle is the pack. I take a large orange gabage bag to put the pack in is the weather turns bad.

Happy to let you have a look/go the next time we are away.

P
Penguin

Postby Penguin » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 5:36 pm

PS

I like the bivvy's with a hoop better for hiking, Easier to get changed in wet weather and you can read a book in them!!!

P
Penguin

Postby 392carl » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey, I've got a mont Hibernator. Great little bag and its got the dual hoops and is likewise bombproof in bad weather. It has a very tiny vestibule on the front but not really of too much use. Personally I just don't use it unless there's others with tents I can hang out in while the weather's bad and we're all up and awake. You go a bit crazy on a rest day on long walks and it is definately more tedious trying to keep stuff dry and organised when breaking camp in bad weather.
None-the less, I do love it. I bought it because it was a bargain. Second hand at $120, used once, and now I will never part with it. Nice and light and super easy to set up. An ultra light tarp set up like a mega-mid over the front could be a real winner, I'll have to experiment on that front.
392carl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Geoskid,

Here are some links to a few very light bivvys that look interesting.

My bivy was custom made by an extreme ultralight guru in the US and weighs in at 88.8g, I will post some pics of it later.

Montbell Ultralight Gore-Tex Bivy Bag http://www.argear.com/montbell-ultralig ... y-bag.html

Vapr Quantum Bivy Sack http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/?do ... duct&id=85

RAB Ultra Bivi http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... _bivi.html

Terra Nova Moonlite Bag Cover http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... cover.html

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tony » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 7:51 pm

This a site got a supalite tarp designed for water proof bivvies, the tarp is still in the development stage.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5278

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 10 Sep, 2009 5:30 pm

Not my cup of tea but I have the Titanium Goat Ptarmigan. Got that for some experimenting...
First one should decide what type to get according to the intended use.
For example the TiGoat is an ultralite (about 180g) breathable type (20 denier "Intrepid" at the top, silverised silnylon at the bottom) designed to work under a tarp beign only splash proof.
At the other end you have the waterproof Goretex 700g plus ( Oudoor Research/Black Diamond) or the more breathable (according to most reports) eVent types ( Integral Design)
These ones are often used alone or sometime inside mountaineering tents for extra warmth.
Black Diamond have Epic bivvies , they breathe well but are only water resistant. So not good under prolonged heavy rains.
The hooped/tripod types are a bit less claustrophobic and allow some degree of maneuverability for reading or changing.
Something to keep in mind is the mat that you intend to use and if you prefer it inside or outside the bivvy. Setting up your system (mat , sleeping bag and you inside) and running a tape measure around it will provably reveal that you need a larger bivvy than you thought...
Hint : some dead air space between your sleeping bag and the bivy is better than compressing your bag.
Franco
some info here
http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/kb ... index.html
and here
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... d%20Bivys/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MJD » Tue 27 Oct, 2009 1:40 pm

Check out the Nemo Gogo Bivy. Really a cross between a one person tent and a bivy. Used one below Barn Bluff in sub zero temperatures and was very happy. No pole - it uses an air bridge instead!
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby soulfree » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 7:18 pm

My next alpine bivvy is the Mountain Laurel Designsa Alpine Bivvy, all eVent and half the weight of the comparative Intengral Designs bivvy.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... 58a7d52874
soulfree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wazzawalkin » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi, if you always plan to carry a “roof” have, a look at the Meteor Bivvy from http://www.sixmoondesigns.com.
The half mesh design is a little less claustrophobic.
W.
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby enduro » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 9:57 pm

I have a Outdoor Research Alpine full Gortex Bivvy - had it about 2 years. Used in the dry heat of the WA Pilbara through to the cold wet nights in the WA south. It' really good with a removable hoop, flynet and quite a bit of room inside. No condensation to speak of, but I do tend to get some around my feet. Totally weatherproof and extremely light. I also purchased an utralight Siltarp for this kit.

Previous to that I had a Mountain Design cocoon shaped full Gortex bivvy (15+ years old) which was excellent. No condensation and extremely light though a bit tight.

Essentially I have never hiked with a tent and will always avoid doing it. A bivvy is the light way to go for me.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 4:01 am

soulfree wrote:My next alpine bivvy is the Mountain Laurel Designsa Alpine Bivvy, all eVent and half the weight of the comparative Intengral Designs bivvy.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... 58a7d52874

USD $250 + extra postage for a bivvy?
You gotta be kidding. my $30 bivy weighs 310 grams is also waterproof and breathable and probally nearly does the same thing.
I cant imagine alot of thought goes into the making of a bivy, as compared to a tent.
Cost of materials? probally less than a tent too.

For comparison,
At campsaver's winter sale on now, this hubba tent is only US $209.96 + 46.25 posted to Australia
http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=msr0042

I'm not saying its "better" than a bivvy because Bivys have their place. Point i'm trying to make is that cost-for-utility ratio is totally of whack there, especially for some of those Outdoor research advanced bivvies that cost $400
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Julafreak » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 8:29 pm

just to clarify. can we use bivvy bags during winter (snowing) and not freeze my nuts off? Ive got a Mont Goretex one
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Julian

Send a PM to Penguin as he is big user of bivvys and can give you the low down on them. I have seen some pretty cold places and he has not complained being cold but might be like his avatar and covered in water proof down :lol:

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm

Julafreak wrote:just to clarify. can we use bivvy bags during winter (snowing) and not freeze my nuts off? Ive got a Mont Goretex one

In short , yes you can. Would love to see this question expanded on. The main considerations (from my point of view) would be cooking/housekeeping ones and the practicalities of them - for a resilient type of person, not too much of a problem I would have thought.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby Julafreak » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:24 am

Got back from the OT and never got the chance to use the bivvy since there were plenty of space in the huts. Weather was crap and would be perfect time to try them out but was just too cold and miserable to even dare think about it at the time!
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 12:21 am

Hi Julafreak

Good to hear you made it back not much worse for wear. Look forward to hearing about the trip. The weather looked pretty average.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 10:15 am

Yes, resurrecting an old thread.

I have made the move to a tarp/mid hybrid for solo walks but am now faced with paranoia over cold wind and splash ingress. I will be using the tarp in exposed alpine areas in tasmania and victoria in summer/shoulder season so this is a valid concern, I think.

Choices:

1. air permeable bivvy (such as macpac eVent bivvy) Upsides - water/wind proof; downsides - no side zip, probably will get some condensation, heavier (500g)
2. terra rosa sleeping cover Upsides - water resist top, side zip, more user friendly bug cover, light (250g), cheap. Downsides - not bombproof.

The quandary is that already have a pre-used tyvek floor and a good easy to erect bug net so my summer non-alpine needs are catered for - which makes the light, cheap, convenient option less necessary. I could wrap the tyvek sheet over my quilt in cold winds I suppose but it isn't the most elegant solution.

the attraction of the event bivvy is it's bomproofness - if I get caught in something biblical I will survive relatively unmolested but it does weigh the same as my tarp (500g) - carrying both just seems wrong somehow - I could have a tarptent solo tent for the same combined weight.

I don't ever anticipate using the bivvy on it's own - short of being stuffed in my daypack as an emergency shelter when I x-country ski.

Am I being too paranoid here?

Edit_ a highly water resistant tyvek sleeping bag cover is an option - no side zip, but very cheap, breathable and light. If i wasn't MYOG useless I could do my own.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 10:39 am

Bombproof is overrated, escpecially in a bivy and its definitely not worth having a bivy weigh the same as your tarp, you may as well have a tent.

In the snow I use a Terra Rosa Tyvek cover (no hood - 115 grams) and I find that works well when paired with my mid. Minimal condensation and keeps drafts out.

Rain and wind protection in the alpine is not something I would gamble with. I think you should prioritise keeping the rain and wind at bay with your shelter first.

If you want a versatile bivy have a look at Borah gear. He makes a variety of ultralight bivys with different material and his prices and shipping are fantastic - http://borahgear.com/sidebivy.html
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks zapruda - i think i got my bug net from you, actually.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:22 am

You did :) I hope it’s working alright for you
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:40 am

Zapruda wrote:You did :) I hope it’s working alright for you

yep - keeps the bugs out.

i have been in touch with borah gear, you're right prices are pretty good. I even thought a cuben floored bivvy might be the go - but then remembered the exchange rate...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:52 am

I find a bivvy adds a fair bit to the thermal rating so you can carry a lighter sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Zapruda » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:56 am

But after two nights of using one the thermal efficiency of your bag has decreased dramatically due to condensation affecting loft. This is especially true if it is raining or snowing as you cant dry your bag out during the day.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 7:27 am

It really depends
I've been using my old Mountain Designs Foxhole bivvy for about 30 years now. It is waterproof to a degree that makes me feel safe enough in a rain storm and it breathes well enough that i have never had condensation issues using it in winter down to -25C
It's UL Goretex with a PU proofed bottom but a full Goretex foot, it is also a Goretex specifically designed for bivvy bags with breathability given priority over waterproofing.
It isn't a substitute for a tent and was never designed as such, basically a survival tool in case you get stuck out and away from camp on a high mountain but I have been using it all that time to protect my fragile sleeping bag shell from dirt and grunge. Much easier to wash the bivvy than the bag, adds a few degrees of warmth by limiting convection currents over the bags surface, keeps the down dry
Downside is that is is huge and weighs just under a kilo and it genuinely is an UL mountain bivvy not a protective shell, a cuben base might save a few grams.

EDIT
Important edit
I should have noted that at the same time as I purchased this bivvy I also bought a Eureka Firelite tent, the bivvy cost more than the tent but I thought the cost/benefit was worth it at the time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JoshAtherton » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 1:04 pm

Old thread, new member.
I have a gore tex bivy.
No hoops, pretty much a gore tex body bag.

Idea was to use the bivy, with a tarp over the top so I can still cook, sit under the shade and have some more protection from the elements instead of being in a cocoon.

So, the bivy is just under a kg.
The tarp I have is just on a kg.

My marmot tent is 2.1?
With the room, the protection from the elements and the bugs...
Tent wins.
Not all those who wonder are lost.... except me, I'm always getting lost.
That's where everyone tell me to go anyway.
JoshAtherton
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 1:49 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You can get lighter bivvies and tarps.

My combo comes to about 700g. But, yes, it is hard to beat the ease of use and protection of a tent.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment