Minaret @ $525. Is this the time to buy it?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Minaret @ $525. Is this the time to buy it?

Postby nathanjsimpson » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 8:10 pm

Hello,

Getting in to the hiking, getting the gear together, and have asked around and have been told the macpac Minaret is a good, reliable tent.

At $524.99 is it a good buy right now? It seems to be. I see it is on special from $749.99 (https://www.macpac.com.au/minaret-tramping-tent.html) but having just started to look I am not sure how the price of this tent fluctuates.

Any advice is great and appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan
nathanjsimpson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Minaret @ $525. Is this the time to buy it?

Postby Tortoise » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 9:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Nathan. You'll get lots of different perspectives from different people, and I know some people love Minarets. But... more people I know think it's a very heavy tent if you're planning to use it solo. (And I didn't enjoy sharing one, even though I'm small.) Do you know how long the sale lasts for? If it's a while, I suggest you check out some lighter tent options. Wish I'd done that 30 years ago, but going lighter more recently has drastically increased my options and enjoyment. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby nathanjsimpson » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks Tortoise.

Hope to get some good tips and info from this forum :)

More often than not it would be solo.

What are the other brands and models would you suggest? I'm all for light but good quality too :)
nathanjsimpson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 10:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25940

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25912

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23485

Bugs Sun Snow Wind may all need different tent strategies
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SergeantMcFly » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 7:47 am

I'm sure Franco will be in as well and can attest to Tarptent's products, but I'm a big fan of my Scarp 1 (older model) that I managed to get from a forum member here. What is your intended use and end goal? Do you need something that is a bit more robust, or plan on doing more of the easy access hikes? For the Scarp, with the solid inner (could also get a mesh inner as well for more flexibility) I have it around 1.6kg and in the event you did want to take it into more snowy conditions, you could get the cross poles as well for it. Not sure what you have for a pack, but the Scarp does tend to pack away a bit bigger due to the support struts it has built in. Just food for thought.

In addition to my experience with Tarptent, I have a good number of friends who've used their products as well and have been very happy with them. Here's the link,

https://www.tarptent.com/
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:36 am

I had a minaret for around 20 years. it was too hot in summer, too heavy for 3 season walking and had poor ventilation - not to mention too small for two. But, probably was the best 1 tent for all possible conditions - before I knew any better.

Mine was highly reliable, a cinch to erect and stood up to some pretty severe winds. I liked it because I could put it up in any conditions that I have encountered and it is completely unfiddly.

These days there are much lighter options with better ventilation. Nothing that I have used is simpler to erect though. No tarp origami or arcane knots, no holding your tongue in the right position whilst you elaborately tension an utralight tenttarp pavilion with slippy linelocs - just 2kg of bathtub floored brilliance.

Don't miss it, though.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 6:18 pm

What sort of places/seasons do you intend to use it for, Nathan? Very exposed mountaintops? Snow? Or more protected/less extreme weather? Makes a big difference.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 6:33 pm

My own tent collection includes:

1. Scarp 1 - I'm very happy with the price and simple set up (one pole, easy to get a taut pitch).
I got the previous version 2nd hand from Franco. Pretty happy with it. I have friends who have the latest version, which can sleep 2 at a bit of a stretch. At 1.47 kg, it's a big improvement on the minaret.(Mine is 1.3kg, and I wouldn't want to share unless it was an emergency.) Check out the specs for the floor dimensions. Friends of mine have slept 2 in the latest version, but they wouldn't do it all the time.
https://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
I've had it in pretty wild weather at High Moor on the Western Arthurs, for 36 hrs. Held up fine. But, it's definitely not as bomb-proof as:

2. Hilleberg Akto. Similar design, but much sturdier. Again, I don't have the latest version - got it 2nd or 3rd hand for about $300-and-something in excellent condition from this forum. :D At about 1.67 kg, it's a lot better than the Minaret. Check out the specs on the latest version. Very, very sturdy. But very expensive new. Not sure if they come up on special. Similar design to the Scarp 1, (one hoop in the middle), but harder to get a great pitch.
Don't reckon you'd get 2 mats in it, though.

3. Wilderness Equipment First Arrow. I tried the Second Arrow as a 2 person tent, but it wasn't comfortable enough for me - but I wake up if someone bumps me. It could be a great choice for a one person and occasionally 2 - but I was a bit shocked when I saw how much the price has gone up since I got mine (I also waited for a great special). There was a new version of both the first and second arrows brought out in about 2014, which are bigger and lighter. You might pick up an older version which is heavier than the current version, but definitely lighter and much more versatile than the Minaret. Fantastic design IMO.
http://wildernessequipment.com.au/products.php?Category=Tents&Subcat=Expedition%20Tents
Wilderness Equipment Space 2 might be worth a look too.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 9:50 am

sc1-7.jpg
sc1-7.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 25945 times
Just to clarify something about the Scarp 1.
It is sold as a solo shelter that can take two at a pinch.
So it isn't a small two person tent but a largish solo tent.
For a largish 2 person tent we have the Scarp 2.
The new 'large enough " for two inner is available separately and can be used with the two previous Scarp 1 versions.
(under Extras , page 3, Scarp 1 mesh/solid wide interior)

[url=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Francophoto/media/Scarp%201/Scarp%201%20wide%20inner_zpst0z78csi.jpg.html].
Now I know how to load an image directly onto the site.
Thank you very much to those that helped in the other thread.
Last edited by Franco on Tue 11 Jul, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 2:07 pm

Still unclear of OP's intended uses for the proposed tent purchase and impossible to advise at present.

Photobucket is a bit of a disaster for forum photo posting. Their fee structure is unrealistic for the vast majority.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby nathanjsimpson » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 3:43 pm

Yeah, uses would be helpful

Very unlikely it will ever see the snow. Well full on snow anyway. Possibly minor snow in the lower areas of VIC in winter. Victoria is always windy so read in to that what you will :)

Will it ever leave Australia? Not sure.

But it will surely see use along the east coast of Australia and SE VIC

Thanks
nathanjsimpson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 3:48 pm

Not needing to fight off major snow loads widens the field a lot
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jimmeyer176 » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 5:42 pm

Couldn't pay me to carry something like a Macpac Mineret, 2.4kg is very heavy these days. For some contrast, I carried a 2.4kg tent in 1994 for 26 days on the Long Trail in the USA, I wouldn't even consider that in 2017. Like most Macpac products the Minaret is overbuilt and built to last 2 lifetimes (why?). It has a floor rating to 10,000hh, etc...which is just absurd by typical high-end industry standards. However, even if you wanted something as overkill as 10,000hh (200psi), Mont makes this at 500 grams lighter, and a better design for livability.

http://www.mont.com.au/moondance-2-tent-bracken

By comparison, my current MLD solo-shelter is around 900 grams and in terms of durability, it's what Andrew Skurka used to circumnavigate Alaska on foot, so it's got credentials. 2.4kg is incredibly heavy for a shelter for one person. Personal preference is relevant but in this day and age you just don't 'need' to carry the weight, however you can do whatever you wish obviously.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/solomid-xl/

http://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV-UL2

https://sierradesigns.com/high-route-1-fl/
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 6:01 pm

You can save a lot of weight by using mesh instead of fabric, but horses for course as you say.
Livability is too personal an issue to discuss rationally sometimes, I find the Minaret extremely "Livable" others obviously do not.
Note that I don't find 10,000mm of waterproof head overkill, the floor in my Plateau tho is another story try 40k or higher and a VB to boot , and the VB effect of the higher WP ratings can be very important when using a tent for a long period of time in soggy conditions
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nathanjsimpson » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 9:27 pm

So much to look at.

It sounds like the Minaret is well built and rather cheap compared to some of the links you provided but there appears to be so many other options out there and everyone has a favourite with most having good reviews.

With everyone ignoring the post title :) you have provided me with a lot of homework. But that's all part of the fun.

I'll report back once a choice has been made.

On a side note, this is one of the friendliest forums i've visited. With so many differing opinions, there hasn't been one abusive comment. Nice to know that people here respect the choices of others even if they don't agree with them.

Thanks
Nathan
nathanjsimpson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 9:46 pm

I think the current price is a little high so I was looking on eBay and Gumtree to send you links to S/H tents, Today I've not found any, perhaps that says something or perhaps not.
Certainly it is too much tent if you are not expecting strong winds and heavy snow and substititing CF wands would only save about 100 grams
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 11:23 pm

I'd thought there are better options (esp. Lighter) at $500+.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nathanjsimpson » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 9:21 pm

Well, a purchase was made a little while back but I didn't want to write it up until I had used it at least once.

I purchased a Vango Helix 100. Plus the footprint. It had mostly positive reviews and it covered what I needed plus it only cost $150.

I used it for the first time on Friday night in the Grampians at Bugiga Hiker Camp. The platforms made the setup a little more interesting than it would have been on the ground but I managed to get it all upright and taut and it looked just like the picture.

The entry is small, as is the tent, and entry into the tent can be a little interesting. Do you enter backwards or enter forwards and turn around inside? If it was wet it would be quite the challenge trying to keep your tent dry and get your shoes off.

It did rain overnight and my pack was in the rather small vestibule. It stayed mostly dry so that worked ok.

I'm only 175cm tall and although I didn't touch the end the tent felt short. But I still managed to get a good nights sleep on a mat with a little gear beside me and the pack outside.

After using it once I am happy with the Helix 100. It does the job I wanted it to do and the price was very user freindly. I know you guys gave many recommendations but they were all much dearer and I thought this was a great place to start.

Next time around I will buy freestanding and larger/side entrance.

Thanks
nathanjsimpson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Strider » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 6:41 am

nathanjsimpson wrote:With everyone ignoring the post title :)

It's only the time to buy it if you actually need a Minaret. There is currently one in very good condition for sale on Gear Freak Australia for $350.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:07 pm

I saw that and I was tempted but I don't think I need 2 Minarets
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Nathan

Worthwhile getting a tent now around 1.5kg or less. You don't have to spend a small fortune to do that either.

Here is a link to my second tent, I upgraded from a 2p cheapy which got me started. This tent is great but perhaps not a first tent option:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=24905

It's not really a winter tent but I have been getting away with it. Considering it will be spring soon, don't look at getting a heavier 4 season tent until next year.
(most walkers seem to collect a few tents!)

Cheers
Neo
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 3:35 pm

Also there are a handful of reviews here on BW
viewforum.php?f=63

But most info is tucked away in the various 'which tent to buy' threads.

What town do you live in as people can probably suggest where to go to check out some tents?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 4:13 pm

Could I suggest a Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow for a modern iteration of the two hoop tunnel??
And great service too.
Better value than the Minaret I think.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Strider » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 5:19 pm

Mont Moondance $425. Not mine.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment