ALDI Bought Down Coat

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

ALDI Bought Down Coat

Postby ricrunner » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 4:05 pm

First time poster, long time lurker here. I was wondering about an Aldi bought Down coat/jacket made by Crane. I bought it for Cycle Touring as am limited to funds for more expensive items of clothing so I went for this one. My question is it states "it is water repellent" and I was wondering does that mean "waterproof or water resistant". It is light enough in weight for cycle touring and packs into it's own pocket so it is small enough as well. It is very warm to wear in the cold of the New England of NSW. I was just wondering about it's water repelling feature. The Down has been treated for moisture ingress. It was on sale on the 8 July this month. Thank you.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: ALDI Bought Down Coat

Postby keithy » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 7:01 pm

I had the older coat from a few years back as mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20567&start=90#p328812

I had a gander at this weeks version. It is not intended to be a waterproof jacket. I don't believe the Crane jacket has DWR treated down, just the external fabric has some water resistant treatment that would survive a short light drizzle. They advertised with something like "water repellent ripstop outer shell".
You'd still want to layer it with a waterproof shell over it in a downpour as once water gets in, the down loses its insulation properties and takes a while to dry.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: ALDI Bought Down Coat

Postby ricrunner » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 9:11 pm

Thankyou, I suppose for $49 you would be lucky to get something very waterproof in down. Thanks for the advice -- I have got something for a waterproof shell.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment