Rays tipi SALE

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rays tipi SALE

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 1:54 pm

Just posting in case anybody was/is thinking of buying one [ and I am tempted as I now know everything that is wrong with them] because I do think they are worth the clearance price of $99-
Not yet tho; I am going to keep my eyes open and hope they drop another 20% as the clearance cycles sometimes do.
This is specially relevant to me as I made an extra strong CF pole just for this tent, the original pole is worthless rubbish.
Then you need to cut out the floor except for 100mm around the perimetre; then you need to heavily reinforce the peak with a layer of Cordura or similar fabric.
Then you need to add in a pole lock so that it is easier to tension the sides [ easy job using tape and buckles and a strong ring for the pole to slide though] and last but probably the most important is to make a new rain cap using the UL and useless one supplied as a template,just make it 3 times the size aaaaand 4 times as strong
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Rays tipi SALE

Postby Franco » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 3:31 pm

So, apart from the above, the tent is OK ?
Just kidding, I remember the tent. Hard to buy just the material for that sort of money.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 3:44 pm

Moondog - If you hadn't bought all the cheap stuff over the years and then spent money modding it etc, how much high quality gear, that actually works well could you have bought?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 4:03 pm

Mark F wrote:Moondog - If you hadn't bought all the cheap stuff over the years and then spent money modding it etc, how much high quality gear, that actually works well could you have bought?

We really need a "Tongue-in-cheek" emoticon
About 25% of a winter rated Cuben mid and CF pole I guess
I only buy cheap stuff for the base camps at Pretty Valley tho
My wish lists for the Bucket List trips have some seriously expensive stuff in them tho.
:mrgreen:

EDIT
At least I haven't bought this dinosaur

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VANGO-MK3-FO ... 1438.l2649
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:38 pm

Or this one
NOS
Found in a dim dark corner of the warehouse

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vango-Force- ... Track=true
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 11:56 am

Mark F wrote:Moondog - If you hadn't bought all the cheap stuff over the years and then spent money modding it etc, how much high quality gear, that actually works well could you have bought?

The attraction is the challenge of solving the problem(s) and making it work.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:14 pm

stry wrote:

The attraction is the challenge of solving the problem(s) and making it work.

And poverty Don't discount the effects of limited income but plenty of time and skills
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment