Pack cover - which one to buy?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack cover - which one to buy?

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 6:11 pm

Strider wrote:Pack covers aren't for waterproofing your contents, they are to stop canvas packs wetting out and becoming even heavier.

That's the only reason I use one. It's also a bit of insurance because dry bags are prone to getting small holes.

For those with canvas packs, can they be coated or treated in any way to shed water more effectively ? I don't like using a pack cover for lots of reasons, but I don't see an alternative.

FWIW, my macpac pack cover has lasted ages and was relatively cheap. My osprey cover has to protected from anything abrasive, got a hole in it the first time I used it.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby whitefang » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 7:47 pm

The best pack cover I had was the one I threw away. I'm all for using a pack liner instead.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby johnk1 » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:00 pm

I am a firm believer in each to their own, but I still have a laugh when I see pack covers with a drain hole at the bottom. Sturdy plastic bag inside and dry bags for me.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby norts » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 2:09 pm

I like a pack cover because it has double use, I like to have gear that can double up.. i use it also as a small tarp to put gear on when the ground is wet while packing/unpacking.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:33 am

The question remains whether a pack cover is useful for its intended purpose. If the answer is "no", then it isn't double use. In that case it's just a heavy, weird shaped tarp.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby norts » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes it is useful I use a canvas pack here in Tassie and I like to keep my pack a bit drier.
Also slips thru scrub a bit easier( I am not sure about this only second hand info). I have a friend who used one on the Cannibal Run(lots of scrub bashing and rain) and said it seemed to help in the scrub as there wasn't as many things to catch and seemed to slide through scrub.

Norts
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm

norts wrote:Yes it is useful I use a canvas pack here in Tassie and I like to keep my pack a bit drier.
Also slips thru scrub a bit easier( I am not sure about this only second hand info). I have a friend who used one on the Cannibal Run(lots of scrub bashing and rain) and said it seemed to help in the scrub as there wasn't as many things to catch and seemed to slide through scrub.

Norts

The material itself might help to avoid being caught on scrub, but couldn't the scrub catch between the cover and the pack pulling the pack cover off?
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby norts » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 6:17 pm

I cant comment , I am just reporting what he said.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment