Montbell umbrella

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Montbell umbrella

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:19 pm

Finally had an opportunity to stroll through Montbell's Sydney store and check out their gears. Came past their UL hiking umbrella and I was amazed by the weight. Unfortunately because of packaging, I couldn't open it up and check detailed construction. Here I'm wondering if anyone has used it and has first hand experience with it. Can see me carrying it for travels if not on walks.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Montbell umbrella

Postby Stew63 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:15 pm

GPS Guided - no experience with MontBell's UL umbrella - but sounds interesting...

Unfortunately MontBell Australia only seem to stock a fraction of MontBell's goodies. Their Australian website/store only seems to offer 2 down parkas to choose from - whereas their MontBell international website offers 18 down parkas/vests! Their international website ships to all countries internationally - except Australia. Now I'm happy to pay extra $ for the Sydney store to get it in for me as a special order - but they said they cannot. Whilst I don't expect the Sydney store to stock everything - but their warmest, most popular down jackets seem to be missing from their lineup. ie. PermaFrost Down Parka? Alpine Light Down Parka? Frost Smoke Parka? etc. Last year the only way I could get my daughter an Alpine Light Parka (mens/s) for her Canada trip was from eBay USA - the Sydney store was unhelpful.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Mark F » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 2:04 pm

I have a Montbell UL umbrella but have not used it bushwalking but have used a Swing Lite Flex umbrella. There seem to be several brands and models all quite similar and popular for walking.

Umbrella exteriors.jpg
Umbrella exteriors

A few thoughts.
Weight: Montbell - 157g and Swing - 232g without a rather heavy cover. I bought my Montbell in Tokyo and they have a couple of quite light models so this one might not be the one on sale in Sydney.

The Montbell is a bit fiddly to engage as the outer third of each arm needs to be folded out before tensioning. Build quality is ok but nothing special. I use it as my travel umbrella but would rather use the Swing for walking as it is more robust and has a little more coverage for a small weight gain. I am planning to take this to the Larapinta Trail tomorrow - the first couple of days at least look like being around 30 degrees.
Attachments
Umbrella interiors.jpg
Umbrella interiors
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 3:55 pm

Have not compared Montbell's local range with their parent stores in Japan. I'm not surprised they don't have the full line as they are still testing the market here. I did note that they had the 1000 fill down jackets at the entrance of the store but then had 800 fill models behind the same shelf along with vests and many others. Given the foot traffic and location, I thought they have packed quite a bit into the space.

Thanks for the photo of the umbrella there Mark. Can imagine how the umbrella used a '3-fold' design to get it down to size but was surprised by how light weight and small. Couldn't open the packaging for a peek and feel of the fabric used. I suspect it must be really lightweight to bring the whole umbrella's weight down. Tempted to pick up one for my travels.

PS. Have a nice Larapinta trip! Look forward to read your trip report.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 6:00 pm

Correction - I was contacted by the MontBell (Australia) store late this afternoon and they advised that their was indeed a website glitch - only showing a few of their parkas/jackets for sale. It has now apparently been corrected and showing many more parkas that are available... I haven't checked.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:16 pm

I reckon a seam sealed umbrella hat is the way to go! I have a 60cm diameter version, and it's big enough to stand around in the rain, and it leaves your hands free. Pity they are all made from crap nylon, and they look ridiculous, but actually work v well. I suppose I could pull one to bits, and remake it from 0.34oz cuben!!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Montbell umbrella

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:24 pm

Have seen those umbrella hats. Makes good sense if one has no hair styling.

Found this on AliExpress at 1/3 or less of cost, stated for 200g. Wonder how they compare.

http://s.aliexpress.com/vim2qYVZ
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:30 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Have seen those umbrella hats. Makes good sense if one has no hair styling.

Found this on AliExpress at 1/3 or less of cost, stated for 200g. Wonder how they compare.

http://s.aliexpress.com/vim2qYVZ

Ha. I have almost no hair!! Suits me fine
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:35 pm

Ok, I'll shave!
Just move it!
GPSGuided