One Planet Bringing back the Dumper

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet Bringing back the Dumper

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:23 pm

While exchanging emails with OP about the sleeping bag I'm told that they have a new cold weather down parka.
The Inverno
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/cl ... inversion/

and that sometime soon the venerable Dumper jumper gets a reintroduction
Things are suddenly looking brighter around here
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet Bringing back the Dumper

Postby slparker » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:34 pm

pretty sure I had a dumper bought in the late 80s, fairydown made it i htink... - it had a half zip and no hood and was in 1980s colours.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 8:42 am

Still using my Dumper :) , but mine is a bit heavier than modern offerings, so doesn't now get used on walking trips.

That parka looks interesting, and the total weight suggests that the fabric may be a little more robust than some of the increasingly flimsy weight driven fabric choices evident in current down garments.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 8:59 am

Further emails suggests it is going to be a zippered jacket and not a pullover like the original which means I lose interest.Flimsy shell fabrics is the main reason I was looking at Nunatak to sew me a down pullover.
Stevo was a 5X5 sort of body shape and a lot of the clothing reflected that, wide body and short sleeves.
Stry I don't remember my Dumper being all that heavy or bulky, an XXL would fit into a stuff sack as small as my clenched fist, mine was sky blue and bright yellow, the same yellow Pertex as on my Ultra bag
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 8:23 am

Heavy is relative. Mine certainly isn't heavy in absolute terms and packs up very small as you describe. Mine has a full zip. We also need to remember that the stated aim of the Dumper was to approximate or perhaps slightly exceed the warmth of a 300 fleece, but with considerable weight and bulk savings.

Mine does this admirably, but it is heavier and not as warm as my PHD pullover.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 8:31 am

It did that admirably but also a lot were bought oversized as an extra layer for winter. A larger Dumper jacket over a pullover Dumper vest was a pretty warm combination
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 11:21 am

Moondog55 wrote:It did that admirably but also a lot were bought oversized as an extra layer for winter. A larger Dumper jacket over a pullover Dumper vest was a pretty warm combination

Yep that would work very well, and provide a lot of flexibility as compared with one thicker layer; albeit with a weight penalty.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby markeaust » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 11:24 pm

Yep. Hard to part with old favourites. Not pictured well but the J&H Dumper vest and the zipper jacket, circa, 1996..... :D

Cheers,

Mark
markeaust
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Alpine SAR

Return to Equipment