Using hiking pole tent on wooden platforms

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Using hiking pole tent on wooden platforms

Postby JCB81 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:50 pm

Planning on doing a trip to Tassie this Christmas and know many of the overnight hike campsites have the raised wooden platforms.

Has anyone used a tent that uses hiking poles on them, just a bit concerned about breaking the tips off in high wind if they are placed between the wooden slats unless that's not the done thing and you just hope the don't slide off when placed on the wood, or is there another way to go about this?
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Using hiking pole tent on wooden platforms

Postby Franco » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 11:26 am

It depends on the shelter I suppose.
Here are a couple of shots of a Notch on platforms.
The first is on the Overland, using "substitute" poles (same as standard tent poles , so rather thin.
notch on platform.jpg
notch on platform.jpg (135.01 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

The other one (I think on a US trail..) has the trekking pole tip up, inside the provided grommet. That is a better way (at least for the TT shelters) because most trekking poles have a wider non slip surface at the top of the handle so you get some grip there.
I would not suggest jamming the pole tips into the cracks. Wind could bend them or brake them off.
Notch on platform 2.jpg
Notch on platform 2.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

For the above to work you need to be able to set your shelter up nice and taut.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby JCB81 » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks Franco,

Your idea of turning the pole the other way round has made me think that I can use an old rubber pole tip protector and therefore not damage the tent fly which the covered tip would now be touching.
JCB81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 11:12 am

Yes, that is where those rubbery things can come handy.
Our tents (Tarptent) are built with a grommet and protective sleeve over it so that they take the tip without the rubber cover.
Works well but some have managed to poke a hole into the fabric whilst setting it up.
(I did that once at home doing some stupid mods..)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 11:31 am

Lacking the tip protector you could surely improvise some type of protection for it. A bit of duct tape perhaps.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Sat 05 Aug, 2017 11:53 am

nozzle.jpg
nozzle.jpg (1.03 KiB) Viewed 4674 times

the nozzle of a caulking tube can be adapted for the purpose.
Cut to size and then put some tape over it so that you can slide it on and off (re-use) .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DA0 » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 10:35 pm

I have used my Hexamid Duo on several platforms in Tas. I use a rubber stopper on the pole, use the pole the usual way up and place a small square of non-slip rubber mat cut to size on either end of the main pole. It usually takes a few adjustments of the lines to ensure a tight setup but I have not had any problems.
DA0
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment