XT Surna Men's Hooded Fleece Jacket v2

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

XT Surna Men's Hooded Fleece Jacket v2

Postby Knor » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello everyone to the boards of Bushwalk Australia,

The Kathmandu XT Surna Men's Hooded Fleece Jacket v2 are on sale at this point of time, though as I am not an experienced trekker as such though my son is more so as he does some travelling and camping to the Victorian Highlands, The Snowy Mountains and Tasmania and I am contemplating on purchasing this fleece for his birthday.

As to what I have been reading is that Polartec is quite an innovation in terms of textile manufacturing though I am definitely no expert as such, I would greatly appreciate if possible to gain some inside knowledge and feedback if possible in terms of this fleece.

Part of our elite XT Series range (exceptional design, extensive testing, extreme performance)
altica®TECH fabrics are durable, versatile and easy care with great warmth for weight and high breathability
ecoFLEECE® fabrics are durable, warm, breathable and easy to care for
Polartec® Wind Pro® fabrics: breathable, wind resistant fleece
Polartec® Hardface®: breathable, abrasion resistant fabric with smooth, durable water repellence
Polartec® REPREVE® – polyester created from recycled plastic bottles
Four-way stretch for a full range of movement
Brushed interior for added warmth
Fitted hood with internal storm flap for added weather protection
Two front zipped security pockets
Fabric
86% Polyester 14% Elastane

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Knor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: XT Surna Men's Hooded Fleece Jacket v2

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm

Knor, welcome to the forum. A lot of manufacturers have their own ingredients, which are often similar. All it takes is a slight variation in the chemical structure and an ingredient is born. Elastane may be one such ingredient. In other consumer areas there's vague and frequently unsubstantiated claims that an item will do this or that. It's hype.

I have no knowledge of the garment or material, but suspect that it may be a bit of hype. The best people to ask are those that have this garment and those that have similar garments. A product looks lovely in the shop but how is it going a year or two down the track?

It may assist if you go to a bushwalking shop and look at what is on offer. In general, for serious people, buy the very best, and though it costs more now, over time it will cost less than buying a less expensive item. I'm on my third head torch in 35 years, and my 1983 pack is still in use on all my extended walks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Singe » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 6:17 pm

Hmm, polar fleece was quite an innovation 25 years ago... Now?

Most outdoor clothing is made from plastic and as Lophophaps says most of the supposed differences between similar offerings are marketing hype.

Looks like an ok sort of soft-shell, if that's what you're after. I'm always sceptical of windproof claims about anything without a wind membrane like Windstopper, though.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 6:48 pm

Singe, I agree about the windproof claim. I've got a blizzard jacket that is very windproof, and a much lighter top with a half zip that is not waterproof but for the weight is surprisingly windproof, if not fully so. I reckon that fleeces are not designed to be worn when walking; they are more for cool breaks and in camp.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:55 pm

I have a similar jacket from a few years ago made with polartec windpro hardface.
I find it not particularly warm or windproof and it's a little heavy and bulky.
I think that a 100 wt fleece and windshirt would be lighter and warmer.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Knor » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 10:59 pm

Although my son has quite a few brands I am not familiar with them as such in terms of terminology and technology though he has raised discussion with my spouse about polartec, goretex and numerous others on a few occasions which led us to believe they were of sound quality.

So in turn my spouse had a sticky beak as such and found names in his wardrobe such as icebreaker, klim, arcteryx, helly hansen, mont, western mountaineering and so many more and due to time constraints and locality we ended up purchasing the above fleece.

We suggested as a birthday present we would suprise him with something that seemed a little bulkier for him while he's relaxing in his tent on a chilly night after his long journeys on his motorbike getaways with friends.

I appreciate all the valuable feedback, suggestions and being so welcoming, thank you once again.
Knor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment