Opinion on possible purchase

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Opinion on possible purchase

Postby The Caveman » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi all,

looking for some insight into purchasing a light weight (relatively) 2p tunnel for some fishing related wanders on the tiers.

Not interested in spending mega $$$, but in the $250-ish range. Likely to only see 4 or 5 trips a year.

Dropped into All Goods today and they have a Coleman Avior X3 on special and although small it should do the job at 2.6kegs

Similarly, the Vango TBS Tempest 200 Mountain 2 looks a better choice and comes in at the same pack weight.

Unlikely to see the worst of what the highlands gives up (comfy shacks are a blessing), but needed to be able to cope with a fair belting.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Opinion on possible purchase

Postby tasadam » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:56 pm

The Caveman wrote:light weight (relatively) 2p tunnel
wanders on the tiers.
in the $250-ish range. Likely to only see 4 or 5 trips a year.
do the job at 2.6kegs
needed to be able to cope with a fair belting.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I do not know the two tents you named so cannot speak for them.
2.6kg's is getting down there - the $750 - $800 (depending on exchange rate) Hilleberg Nallo2 is 2.1kg's.

The one thing that concerns me most in your comments is the correlation between
in the $250-ish range
and
needed to be able to cope with a fair belting.
My experience is that those two are not compatible.
Good luck!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:17 pm

I have a Coleman Phad X3, which I've yet to use in foul weather, but it is a very solid tent.

One of my students has an Avior X3- he's hiked the OT 5 times with it, as well as numerous other Tassie tracks, and has no complaints. While he is young (but much more experienced than I in the Tassie bush), the folks he hikes with obviously aren't, and they trust the Avior X3.

(On a side note- how cool is the kid who has hiked the OT 5 times by the age of 14???)

The Avior X3 also comes highly recommended by Tassie Tackle in Burnie, whom I know has a great reputation.

I was very keen on the Avior, but it was too small for three people, so I went for the Phad X3, which has a really nice vestibule and plenty of room from 3, but it 3.8kg. For two the Avior X3 would be awesome.
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:22 pm

All depends on exactly where and when on the Tiers you will be using your tent ,under $300.00 for a two man tent equals coastal summer camping IMHO so give it serious thought please .
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby The Caveman » Tue 25 Aug, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks gents for the feedback.

Tasadam - only the prevailing wind is likely to be an issue for my purposes, however with all that can possibly be dealt with up top I'll not be more than a few hours away from safety at any one time.

Corvus - Chudleigh / Feb Plains / Pine Rv Valley / Kerrison Lakes - nothing too adventurous. Currently doing these easily in a dome (needs to be retired), looking for a more suitable pack tent.

Poser, saw the Phad but although very roomy it was too heavy as an option. The Avior looks ok, nothing special but not sure of the water resistance of the floor. Like the Vango range, so when I did some digging found the Tempest 200 to be a possibility.

All fly-fishing related, mostly between late November and early March and in a group.

Can up the expenditure, just find it difficult to justify for the limited use and short range.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment