Poor customer service at Campsaver

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Poor customer service at Campsaver

Postby Orion » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:45 am

The key line in the Campsaver International Shipping Information page is:

We also cannot warranty items that need to be repaired or have defects, this is your risk when purchasing from outside the U.S.

They state it clearly enough, although they could probably add a big, bold, red lettered warning at checkout if you're shipping overseas. In any case, as I see it the questions are (a) is it legal, and (b) is it ethical to require shipping to and from in cases of clear product defects? Regardless of the practicalities of fighting the system or just fixing it yourself, there's still the question of principle.

Of course, one alternative reality would be that Campsaver simply doesn't offer international shipping at all.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 1:38 pm

Orion wrote:Of course, one alternative reality would be that Campsaver simply doesn't offer international shipping at all.

That would be awful for the rest of us (not that I've bought from Campsaver). Regular double to triple digit savings on products for the rest of us gets killed by one line of stitching from one. 20 bucks to repair or free at home in 5mins.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rurik » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 2:35 pm

When dealing with Campsaver (& the like) I have always found the best practise to only buy products that come with an international warranty from the manufacture. The one time I had a fail on start up claim where there was an issue; I managed to convince Campsaver to refund the postage cost under their local duristictions consumer law. It took one email with one quote from a fact sheet to get it all done. They also gave me a 20% off code for my next purchess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bigwallclimber » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 2:47 pm

Unfortunately this is one of the risks, I have been caught buying equipment overseas before and was in a similar boat.

I made my own rule that I would not purchase large items or costly items overseas due to the loss I sustained.

What I do buy overseas is camp food, socks, hats, headlamps and the like (low cost low risk), I have never had an issue and since Auspost started posting from the US it is even better for me.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby willem » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:41 am

I bought a tent from them a few years back now, that had some cuts in the fabric, they paid for my return all I needed to do was include the receipt in the package. Have always found therevservice to be top notch.
Willem
Regards,

Willem
willem
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:16 am

Once upon a time US retailers never thought about overseas market, then once they shipped, they paid return postage. Following on they realised how expensive those return postages are and stopped the practice. Now, some deal with overseas while others selectively don't. I've been benefited many times with large and small items through the years. The key to me is to be selective with the merchant and knowing what options one has in resolving problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 9:03 am

maybe amazon will have stock worth buying when they open locally, then you'll have better customer support
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Previous

Return to Equipment