Sea to Summit Latitude sleeping bag

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sea to Summit Latitude sleeping bag

Postby portlester » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:14 pm

Apologies in advance if my question is another one of those 'How long is a piece of string?' questions.

I am looking at updating my old Paddy Pallin Bimberi sleeping bag, which I know several people on these forums have also had in the past. The bag I'm currently thinking of getting is the Sea to Summit Latitude, although I'm not sure on whether to get the I or II version.

Most of my hiking is done over spring & autumn, camping in a two or three person mesh inner tent. I am hoping to do a bit more over the winter months in future, with the most likely destinations being to the Grampians, Goldfields, etc. I also have some plans of heading up to the high country in late spring/early summer. I currently used an Exped UL 7 synmat as my sleeping mat. We also do a bit of car camping over both the summer and winter months, staying in our camper trailer around areas such as Gundagai, etc., although I am usually only in the sleeping bag during the winter months.

I currently find the Bimberi bag adequate, although in winter & colder periods have had to head to bed with my thermals and also pants, down jacket, etc. I would not call myself an overly cold or warm sleeper, although I have noticed that the 15 kg I've lost in recent times has resulted me feeling the cold a little bit more than I once did.

With the Bimberi being a late 90's bag, I obviously haven't been able to get any temperature ratings to allow me to compare it to modern bags. At the moment I'm probably leaning towards the Latitude II (although if I can get away with the Latitude I it will knock a few more grams off what I need to carry).

So my questions are:
Is the Latitude I a big jump up from my current Bimberi bag? Is it likely to be suitable for what I have described above, or would I be better off with the Latitude II bag - I'm assuming I will be too warm in both bags over summer and would whichever one I get opened up as a quilt.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

edit: Here is the link for info on the Sea to Summit Latitude bags
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sea to Summit Latitude sleeping bag

Postby Zapruda » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm

In my experience with EN rated bags the lower limit rating which they boldly advertise should be ignored. You really want to heed the comfort rating.

If I had to, I would pick the LTII at -3. In summer you can unzip it or shift the down to the underside of the bag.

I think your mat will be an issue below 0 as well.

Alternatively, a quilt from a company like Enlightened equipment or undercling Mike (from this forum) would be my pick for everything other than snow.

Good luck.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 9:39 pm

I had two Bimberi bags at different times, funnily while they were every good bags I found them too warm for summer and too cold for winter and far to slim to wear anything inside them. An overquilt or LW overbag would give a good boost at a lower cost than a totally new bag
Winter in the snow I have long advised a comfort rating of -18C for the sleeping system as a whole and lower can be a good thing
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby portlester » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks Zapruda & Moondog

I actually blame undercling-mike for putting me on the path for a new bag. After reading all the great reviews for his quilts, I had initially planned on heading down that path and purchasing one of his. However, after a bit more thought I realised that (for the moment at least) a bag is probably more suitable for me at the moment, as I will be using it in the camper on some trips, where I'll be sleeping on a queen size mattress.

I'm using a school trip to China later in the year as the excuse to buy a new bag (it will be a tax deduction, plus its easier to convince the wife) and I'll be passing the Bimberi bag down the chain to the kids. Moondog, its interest that you say that you found the Bimberi too warm for summer and cool for winter - on reflection that is probably a pretty good description. Although it is the best quality bag I've had, so I really haven't got too much to compare to.

It obviously does make sense to spend as much as I can afford on a quality bag. It's better to be hot and use it as a quilt in summer, rather than freeze on a cold night wishing I had bought a better bag.

Thanks again for your thoughts
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 12:01 pm

PM incoming portlester
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 4:20 pm

The Latitude was my second pick for a winter bag.
I went with a Micro III long because I liked the full zip and drawstring foot for versatility. Also a nice price from Snowys late summer.
It's rated comfort 2°C but have used it just below zero.
Next year I'll probably transition to one of Mikes quilts and go walking in the snow.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby beachcruiser » Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:07 pm

In case you need a point of reference your Paddy Pallin Bimberi would have been filled with 500grams of approx 650 loft down (I worked for Paddy's back in the 90's and still have a few old catalogues floating around), so the STS Latitude II is the closest equivalent and would be a bit warmer, 50 grams more down plus the down has more loft (750 loft Latitude II vs 650 loft Bimberi), although the Latitude looks like it is a bit of a more 'relaxed' cut so more room to move but less thermally efficient.
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment