Best Pocket Camera 2017

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Best Pocket Camera 2017

Postby slparker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 6:01 pm

RonK wrote:But if you are keen for an LX3, I'll be happy to sell you mine.

thanks, but the larger sensor on the 100 seems like the way to go.

My last camera had barely little more 'ability' then mycurrent phone. Things have changed somewhat in 15 years....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Best Pocket Camera 2017

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 7:40 am

RonK wrote:TZ100

But if you read DPReview's 'Best of' comparison article that was referred to early in this discussion, the ZS100/TZ100 Gold winner has a 25-250mm 10x lens. Otherwise I'm confused by TZ100 vs TZ110 models on web searches.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-rou ... cameras/14
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 9:07 am

GPSGuided wrote:
RonK wrote:TZ100

But if you read DPReview's 'Best of' comparison article that was referred to early in this discussion, the ZS100/TZ100 Gold winner has a 25-250mm 10x lens. Otherwise I'm confused by TZ100 vs TZ110 models on web searches.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-rou ... cameras/14

Yes, the post mentions three different Lumix cameras in the review, but I took the subject of the post to be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10.

There is a 2017 review on dpreview that compares the above discussed cameras - it rates the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10 above the: ...

The LX10 has a 24-72mm lens.

The TZ100 has a 25-250mm 10x lens. It is very confusing that the same camera is marketed with different names. Here it's the TZ110. It's not the first time Panasonic have done this but I don't understand why.

There is much to be liked about the TZ100/110, and I think it would be a great choice for many. I did have an earlier TZ series camera before I got the LX3 and it was a very good travel camera.

But for myself, having experienced the LX3 and then the RX100 I just can't wean myself away from their fast, bright lenses. That after all was the rationale for the LX3 - to produce better images by using a quality fast lens rather than cram more pixels on a small image sensor as was the common approach back then. As reported by dpreview Lumix LX3 at the time. I thought the LX3 was the bees knees and was blown away when the RX100 emerged with a huge sensor and even better lens in a smaller package.

So I have learned to compose my shots without relying on zoom.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby potato » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 9:42 am

RonK wrote: So I have learned to compose my shots without relying on zoom.

Me too. It took me some time to get my head around it but now I love the approach.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 3:51 pm

I still use the zoom a lot and want certain perspective for certain shots. As some have mentioned, 24mm at the wide end is a must and wider the better. But I also want a decent tele for the reach in some landscape framing. Carrying the A7 has benefits but a cost also.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 10:34 pm

The Panasonic Lumix DMC series is definitely in class with the Sony RX100 series. The Panasonic specs are confusing re focal lengths but I think (with many Australian wild-flowers being small) I'll buy the one with the best macro ability. Not sure how how I work that out ATM.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi all. I haven't posted much, but thought I'd throw my thoughts in.

The RX100 series is pretty amazing. I've actually done a side by side studio comparison between the mk3 and a Nikon d800. Under ideal light, it's not easy to spot the difference. A trained photographer might, but it's also tricked a few fellow photogs I know as well. I can dig out the photos at work on Monday if anyone is interested.

Of course that doesn't mean it's on par with a higher end dSLR once light becomes a little trickier, but the simple fact that a compact camera is even in the same conversation really does astound me.

In regards to zoom, if you can do away with it, then you'll have improved image quality in almost all regards. A large focal range requires lots of lens elements, and a lot of bending of light. The introduced error and lens aberrations is significant. Softer edges and chromatic aberration etc (purple/geeen fringing).

If possible, I'd stay away from compact superzooms. Generally anything over 18x optical makes me a little suss. And the waterproof/shockproof are ok. But that's about it. They are a good chuck around camera for someone who isn't really after quality. I've been through a few of them, and they do have their pluses. But personally I switched to an underwater housing for the RX100m3 for my snorkelling.

I actually need to look at a new landscape camera. I recently took my dSLR (Canon 1Dx) on a couple of day hikes. It's such a heavy *&%$#!, and a pain to lug around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 5:24 pm

Nice the RX can compare to a D800 but the question here is how the RX compares with other 1" sensor based compacts e.g. Lumix.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 1:33 am

I was possibly slightly off topic in regards to that particular comparison. I was more just chiming in on my positive experience with the RX100 cameras.

In a previous job, I used to sell cameras. The Panasonics were always fantastically well made, and I'd be surprised if they still weren't.

I guess it depends on what matters most to the buyer. At the time I made my purchase, it was specifically to take snorkelling in the Galapagos. The fact that the Sony's were more popular, and therefore has a larger range of housings to choose from made it appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Equipment