Newbie doing Triple Top. Need help!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Newbie doing Triple Top. Need help!

Postby SarahR » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 11:47 am

So I was talked in to doing the triple top Tasmania this year, despite having done almost zero hiking in the last 20ish years.
What do I need to pack?
All conditions are possible, being tassie!
Thanks for your advice :)
SarahR
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Newbie doing Triple Top. Need help!

Postby MrWalker » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 10:10 am

Because it's a day event, the forecast for the day will be fairly reliable. So don't carry warm and waterproof gear unless the forecast suggests you might need it. But you don't actually get a forecast for Mt Roland, so check all the surrounding locations that have a forecast.
Most people wear shorts because the track is cleared in the weeks beforehand, so not much undergrowth to push through. Runners are quite OK, rather than boots, but there is some scrambling up rocks.

The fastest runners don't carry water, but rely on drink stations, but most people carry a small daypack with some water and food, since you will be out there for a few hours. You could also have a small first aid kit, but if you need to abandon the trip, there are two track junctions where you could go out, so you don't need all the usual emergency gear. The track is easy to follow, so no maps or GPS are needed.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 1:42 pm

G'day Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

I did the Triple Top a couple of years ago after a friend talked me into it. (What is it about friends?!)

Part of taking up the challenge for me was to have a very concrete goal to get as fit as possible for big summer walks. The said friend kept saying, "It's not a bushwalk. Don't think of it as a bushwalk. It's not a bushwalk!", and she was right. She also mentioned that I wouldn't be stopping. "Not stopping?????!!!!!!" I questioned in astonishment. Reality was, I didn't really stop - except once, just to get my hat when the sun came out. And of course, there were tiny stops on the way up Van Dyke to let runners go past. I even overcame my sense of wrong to 'just throw the cup on the ground', as the very helpful drink station folks encouraged us to keep going. And the orange skin. (Yes, they told us they'd pick them up too.)

There's a great atmosphere on the day, but it is totally different from bushwalking. It surprised me that I ended up passing much fitter people. My conclusion was that being used to rough tracks/mud/rock scrambling helped me make up time.

I was less minimalist, and was happy with my decision. I had a light backpack cinched right in against my back, with about a litre of water, basic first aid, a light rain jacket & pants, ear muff and gloves. I had snacks in my top pockets, which I munched on while I walked. (My friend took a bandage and 300mls of water, plus pocket snacks, and was happy with that.) Before the day, I tried a couple of different options, like wearing a waist bag at the back. But it bumped around too much when I trotted, so the pack worked better.

If I hadn't snuck in under 5 hours, when my goal was under 6, I'd probably be doing it again this year. :lol: It was a great experience, despite being middle aged and not being a runner. Many walkers, like me, take a walk-trot-walk-trot approach. Walk uphill, but not so fast as needing to stop, then trot the flats and the downs when possible.

You've got a bit of time, so start some mountain/hill walks if you haven't already. Get as fit as you can by doing exactly what you'll need to do on the day. If you live up this way, and can go up Claude sometime soon, that'd probably give you a good idea. Only 2 more mountains like that one! So don't start out too fast. Have fun, in a bizarre kind of way. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SarahR » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks Mr. Walker and Tortoise. Great advice from you both.
I'm horribly unfit (well, could be worse I suppose!) and am actually quite terrified! My first mountain in 20 years was Mt. Montgomery last week. It was fine, although my stamina needs some work.
I'll try to get in some practice on all 3 in the coming weeks as I live locally.
Any other advice on preparing? Or not dying on the day?
SarahR
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Wollemi » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 2:24 pm

For those of us who remain disappointed by guessing competitions, such as this thread wanted to be;

http://kentish.tas.lions.org.au/tripletop

Triple Top Mountain Run on Sunday, 12 November 2017 is a tough 19.7km course, starting on Round Mountain and including Mt Claude, Mt Van Dyke and Mt Roland before finishing at the Claude Road Hall.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment