Tent pegs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent pegs

Postby Dexter » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:46 am

Hi all,

I recently bought a Snugpak Ionosphere 1 man tent http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/ionosphere-2608
I took it away on a (non walking) camping trip to set it up and test it out along with my canvas touring tent. The pegs that came with it are light weight aluminium (I think?), and a few bent pretty easily trying to get them into the hard ground.
Are there some better replacement pegs I should look at? Are titanium pegs less likely to bend so easily?

Sorry for the noob questions. :)
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Tent pegs

Postby Aushiker » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:57 am

My choice of pegs are MSR Ground Hogs. I notice that they are no longer listed on the MSR website so they may start getting scarce.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:10 am

I've smashed these 6 inch Easton stakes into hard ground with a rock or block of wood a few times now and they have handled it without a problem.
https://www.tarptent.com/store/aluminum-6in-16cm-stake
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:12 am

I have a large collection of pegs to suit expected conditions but I find Ti skewers are my most commonly used pegs. If getting some Ti skewers get the ones simon sells http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products/titanium-hook-pegs. By far the best I have used. The tight radius head and high strength alloy used allows them to be inserted with greater force than many others on the market. Like any peg they can be bent but less than others and can be straightened.

Edit - Over the years I have managed to bend/break just about every vaunted brand/model of peg so don't expect perfection from any.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:21 pm

Pegs are not a noob question, it has more to do with philosophy or religious convictions then gear.
That was a lame joke but no there is no best peg except that many do agree the Y pegs, like the Groundhogs, (if not a cheap imitation) do work and the Easton are often commented on too.
I prefer the 8" or so versions because those extra 2" give me a lot better holding power and work better for me if used with rocks/logs.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:36 pm

I was probably a little rougher on them than I should of been. I'm used to heavy duty camping pegs that aren't intended to be taken hiking.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'll have to pull out the tent tonight to see how many pegs are needed to replace the set. I have a feeling it has quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:55 pm

Cheap Y-pegs on the 'Bay work really well and are pretty light. Cost next to nothing to grab a few.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:56 pm

I run a combo of stakes so I can generally find one that works, not only for the ground, but what the stresses are from the tent. Right now I've got some square nails, and some easton 6-inch, I'll be adding some other kinds of peg as I find them, but I find that my tent (tarptent notch) really only needs matched pairs, so that makes it easy to have a light weight combo set, even though I've got more pegs than I need, I don't need full sets.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby rcaffin » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 8:13 pm

A couple of long tubes for the ends of our tunnel, and long Ti wires for the rest.
You can hammer the good Ti wires into rock ... (well, loose mudstone?)

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:24 pm

Happy with the Easton tube stakes that came with my Tarptent.

Also happy with my extra pegs which I got from Helinox.

Interested in trying some of the Ti wire/pin type one-day.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Singe » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 9:30 am

Franco wrote:Pegs are not a noob question, it has more to do with philosophy or religious convictions then gear.
That was a lame joke but no there is no best peg except that many do agree the Y pegs, like the Groundhogs, (if not a cheap imitation) do work and the Easton are often commented on too.
I prefer the 8" or so versions because those extra 2" give me a lot better holding power and work better for me if used with rocks/logs.
The 8" Eastons are a better match for tarptents too :wink:
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment