Fixed Length or Variable Length Hiking Poles?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby Aushiker » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 3:01 pm

I seem to have lost my old MSR carbon trekking poles and with a planned walk of Wainright's Coast to Coast Path in the UK coming up next year I need to do something about poles. Massdrop has Black Diamond's Distance Carbon Z polesas a drop at a pretty reasonable price of ~AU$132 delivered. These poles weigh 142 grams each.

However these are fixed length poles which I have no experience of; hence curious to know what more experienced users of poles think about going with say these Carbon Z poles or an adjustable pole such as Black Diamond's Distance Carbon FLZ which weighs in at 173 grams each and cost ~$175. To be honest I cannot remember every adjusting the length of my adjustable poles when walking so maybe I would be happy with a fixed length but ...

Thoughts?
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Fixed Length or Variable Length Hiking Poles?

Postby Strider » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:12 pm

I use adjustable poles, but like you have never adjusted them away from my normal length. I would have no issue buying fixed length poles next time. The only time adjustment might be absolutely necessary is where they are used for pitching a shelter. One thing you do need to be aware of with the Distance series is that the baskets are not replaceable.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:29 pm

And, of course, make sure they are the right length to start with.

The only advantage I have found with adjustable poles is being able to lend them to other people - this may not be important for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby eggs » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:35 pm

I have used the Z poles [until they broke]
Like the FLZ, mine had a single flick-lock adjustment point available just under the handle - so they are limited height range rather than fixed.
And this is useful as you can then adjust for walking down hill versus uphill.

The plastic jointing material is novel - but needs to be treated with care - that was a point of failure for me.
They were pretty good though.

I should add that I ended up getting imported Monoprice light weight poles to replace them.
Last edited by eggs on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Penguin » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:44 pm

I have gone for the fixed length Z poles for general use and the FL Z poles when I take the Hexamide.

I love the Z poles. Fold down smaller than other poles, great for stowing. No slippage going down hill, although never had trouble with FL poles wither for this. i have had no problems with breakage but I am only 73kg.

I agree that you have to be careful when tensioning them as the plastic core is exposed to sharp edges.

P
Penguin

Postby Aushiker » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Most helpful indeed. The poles will be used for this walk and other walks but not for a tent so it sounds like, as long as I am careful all should be good with the fixed length Z poles.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tortoise » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:00 pm

eggs wrote:I have used the Z poles [until they broke]
Like the FLZ, mine had a single flick-lock adjustment point available just under the handle - so they are limited height range rather than fixed.
And this is useful as you can then adjust for walking down hill versus uphill.

I thought they'd have that single flick-lock adjustment point, but I can't see any evidence of it on the photos on the Massdrop site. Maybe these ones don't have them??? Your eyesight may well be better than mine, though.

Like you, Eggs, I adjust that section according to uphill or downhill. Mind you, if there's just a short section where a different length is useful, I just hold them on the shaft to avoid changing the length. So you could still do that even if these don't have that adjustment, as long as they weren't too short to start with.

I have had 2 failures on my BD distance Z poles, but got them replaced under warranty. One failed again, but was fixable at home. The end of one section actually got jammed in the sleeve, making it impossible to secure the pole (unusable). At home, a friend made a little hook tool to extract it. Now working again. Apparently using graphite filings (?), not WD40, is recommended to avoid this problem. I'm trying to remember the other failure I had with the BDdistance Z poles. It also made them impossible to use in the field.

But, if I had a light weight tent that relied on them, I'd want some back-up for that.
Having said that, I'll probably still get another pair. Very light weight, and the ease with which I can stow them when necessary on even a day pack, makes them worthwhile. No snagging on scrub or overhanging branches, or scraping on rocks etc etc. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:03 pm

Apart from the fact that I do adjust my poles according to the terrain, fix length poles could be a bit of a problem in transport (plane or bus)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:10 pm

I never adjusted the length of any of the Leki poles I used over the years. I changed to Z Poles because they are much easier to pack. Never had any issues with the fixed length. Just make sure you get the right length - I think there are three options.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Tortoise » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:23 pm

Franco wrote:Apart from the fact that I do adjust my poles according to the terrain, fix length poles could be a bit of a problem in transport (plane or bus)

They still fold into 3, making them easy to stow. I just wouldn't try taking them as cabin luggage. Might be considered a weapon with the titanium tips. :roll:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:08 pm

Get the correct length for your body size and then just adjust the hand grip position on the pole for uphill/downhill/flat walking. No real need for adjustable poles unless the chosen length is not suited to your hiking pole dependent tent arrangement.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:27 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Franco wrote:Apart from the fact that I do adjust my poles according to the terrain, fix length poles could be a bit of a problem in transport (plane or bus)

They still fold into 3, making them easy to stow. I just wouldn't try taking them as cabin luggage. Might be considered a weapon with the titanium tips. :roll:

sorry, I do know those poles but for some reason I was thinking of the fixed ul cf non folding type, that is not the z type
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:04 pm

I have both the bd distance carbon z and carbon flz adjustable poles. As above, as long as they are the right length to start with, fixed length are fine for most purposes. The flzs are useful when tarp camping as the asjustability is handy when setting up / tensioning a mid style shelter. Thoroughly recommend the carbon z's though and the massdrop price is a bargain.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:57 pm

I've had my fixed length BD ultra distance carbon poles for six years, never had an issue.

They have double length foam grip, so you can move your hand down about 5 inches lower to help navigate uphill. I use that all the time, it's a necessity with a fixed pole.

Have also rigged a solution which allows me to use them as adjustable length for my Tarptent.

The weight savings are totally worth it.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:43 am

Personal choice.

I went with the FLZ poles for a few reasons. One, they fold up smaller than the non-adjustable poles. Second, my preferred length turns out to be about halfway between the available fixed length sizes. And third, an adjustable pole is better suited for use as support in certain minimal shelters.

But, it's just a pole. I used to always start every walk by searching for and then grooming an appropriately sized branch, using it for the duration of the walk, and then discarding it. While that was good fun I'm much happier with modern poles. They are so light and fold away to almost nothing. Sometimes I wish I had a third arm so I could use three.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment