S2S mattress query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

S2S mattress query

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 10:37 am

New to the market and I can't see it on the S2S website but has anybody bought one of the new Comfort Deluxe dual layer mats and trialed them yet?

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/sea-to ... /AMCDINSRW

The extra depth may be just what my aching aging bones need and I am well prepared to carry the extra weight of the mat if it means a better nites sleep

They are not cheap but then neither is the Seally at home
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: S2S mattress query

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:30 pm

Moondog, maybe your bones wouldn't ache so much if you brought less weight with you :)

I haven't used one myself but they seem very comfy.

What are you currently using? A Thermarest xtherm max would be another great option.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:57 pm

My solo winter ski touring base weight is only 11 kilos as is, my basecamp weight don't count, but at 11 kilos my hips do feel it, I'd be quite happy to take an extra kilo if I slept that much better.
Absolutely no-reviews on line that I have found and in this instance s2s are taking their time to reply to my email request for more information
Currently using a Comfort Plus with an additional RidgeRest for redundancy
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:04 am

Lots of early adopters here in the forum but I suspect that those of you who are, are also those to whom going light is also very important.
These are to expensive for me to buy without seeing some real life feedback or getting a big discount and nobody has been forthcoming in offering me 30% off, despite me offering to be a S2S tester.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:56 am

I got excited about a thicker mat, but they're only fractionally thicker than the existing range - 8cm vs 6.3cm, but double the weight.

Last time I looked for thicker mats Nemo Equipment had plenty of 9cm thick mats, lighter and cheaper too if you can find them shipped to Aus.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:58 am

Moondog55 wrote:despite me offering to be a S2S tester.

They only want young photogenic types - rules me out as well. :D
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 12:15 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I got excited about a thicker mat, but they're only fractionally thicker than the existing range - 8cm vs 6.3cm, but double the weight.

Hah it's only 135 grams more than the winter mat I already use, I use the Comfort Plus Large I need the wriggle room as a side sleeper
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:06 pm

Ted.....I've got one of these on the way from Wild Earth at the moment....they have a sale on now and it was about $30 less than Snowys in Adelaide. Initially was going to grab a Comfort Light Insulated in Large but at 201cm long it would be a bit snug in a couple of my 4 season tents. I went for the Regular Wide in the Comfort Deluxe which is 186cm long and 64cm wide as I was primarily looking for more width over a standard mat without the associated extra length. Not too worried about the weight of it....that's a small price to pay for a good nights sleep I reckon. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:27 pm

Let us all know how it goes please
I do find the extra width much more comfortable and 20mm of extra mattress depth is 20mm of extra mattress comfort
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 4:04 pm

Ted....the STS Comfort Deluxe RW mat arrived today.....looks good....a bit longer than a standard mat at 186cm and 64cm wide....8cm thick too. Nice heavy 40D base and a softer upper fabric....dual layer with a flat valve for each so puncture one and the other stays inflated. The short STS stuff sac also incorporates a pump bag in the other end which is a nifty idea (although not mentioned as a feature by STS) and the whole stuff sac/pump bag can be used to inflate the mat....about "3 bags full" does each side. This set-up is a bit weighty and I won't use it as my Exped schnozzle pump sac is bigger, lighter and uses the same valve connector and I use this as a clothing dry bag in the pack as well as inflating my Downmat. So handy that this will work on the STS mats too. Weight (without the stuff/pump sac) in a 30D nylon cover is 1190g.....so a bit lighter than my Downmat 9 LW Deluxe (no integral pump). Plan to get away up high next week for a couple of nights so I'll give it a try.....by the look of it I think it'll do the job nicely. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sambar358 » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 6:15 pm

Well I gave the new STS Comfort Deluxe mat a run last week for a couple of nights at about 1400m.....the temps were quite cold and there was a good frost both nights so a reasonable test without it being the -10C's of winter nights in this spot. Inflated the bottom of the mat firm and the top 1/2 softer and found it extremely comfortable and the extra width (64cm) was certainly appreciated....plenty of warmth felt under the base of the Everest bag and 2 good nights sleep resulted. I found the multiple "air cell" construction of the mat very supportive and significantly more comfortable all-over than the length-wise tubes of my Exped mats.....I think I'm going to like this mat....a lot ! Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 9:15 pm

Seeing as how the new cost of one is about 10% of my airfare to Canada I'll probably not be buying one and using what I have but a bloke can dream
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment