One Planet

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet

Postby Dexter » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:15 am

Just wanted to make a quick post about my recent experience with One Planet.

I bought a new bag on the weekend. A bungle -4c, 700+ loft. I got it home and last night rolled it out and made sure I fit ok etc. What struck me, and didn't with the bags I had a look at in store, was the down smell. It was a distinct bird smell. I googled a bit online, and found a few people claiming that it should not smell, and if it does, it's a good indicator that the down hasn't been cleaned properly before the bag was filled. I have fur/dust allergies so I was a little concerned the bag could have me sneezing and wheezing all night if I used it. I just got off the phone with One Planet, and the bloke I spoke to was awesome. Explained their whole process, and was happy to provide any documentation if I required it. I didn't, I basically just wanted to find out if what I was experiencing was normal. I was told that there sometimes is a bit of a down smell and some aren't bothered by it, others can't smell it, and a small portion of people really don't like it. I probably fall into a category somewhere in-between. I can smell it, but so long as I don't have any kind of reaction, and the down is clean, I'm not sure I care that much. I just wanted a bit of reassurance.

Anyway, I asked if perhaps an 800+ down would smell less, and he said it's possible and he's happy to make up a bag for me and send it to the store I purchased the original bag from (Vast Outdoors - Moorabbin) and I can see if it helps or not. He rang Vast on my behalf to let them know he'd spoken to me, and organised the whole thing. Vast were also awesome about it. It's not often you experience such great service these days. And even less often you read about it. I find often only the pissed off people are likely to voice their frustrations online. So I just wanted to let others know my experience. If you're on the fence between OP and another bag, it may help to swing your decision knowing that they are so accessible and willing to assist you.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:50 pm

Yeh One Planet after-sales service is brilliant (think I might have mentioned that on this site before too??).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 7:04 am

I forgot to update this, but Vast Outdoors in Moorabbin didn’t charge me extra for the higher grade loft bag. I was fine with the fact that I’d probably have to pay the difference and even said to the guys there that I didn’t want them out of pocket. They pretty much refused that I pay the extra.

To be honest the whole experience from sales to support from both Vast and One Planet was exceptional. It made me feel like I was buying a quality product in the 1930’s or something. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

The bag has been great too... sometimes a little warm for me, but I’d rather that. You can always open it up and use it as a doonah. Better than being too cold.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 9:43 am

Do we need a bouquets and buckets sticky?
I too have found that One Planets service excellent lately, even in the pre-holiday rush
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment