Advice for buying first hiking tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Advice for buying first hiking tent

Postby ntt » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 9:11 pm

For hikes in the past I've always borrowed tents, and have hiked in pretty mild conditions, but I will be travelling to Tasmania with my gf in the 2nd half of October and am looking to purchase my first hiking tent. We will be on the East Coast of Tasmania so I don't think the conditions should be too wild - we will be doing the Frecinet Circuit and may be camping out for a couple of other nights on the trip.

Here are some of my requiements:
  • My budget is less than $300, and ideally less than $200, but willing to pay closer to 300 if I can find a solid tent.
  • I'm looking for a 3-season tent as I can't imagine we would do any camping below-zero on future trips.
  • Have enough space for the 2 of us, plus enough space for our packs.
  • Fairly durable.
  • Reasonably easy to setup.

Here are a few I have considered so far:

Do you guys have any recommendations?
Last edited by ntt on Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ntt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Buying first hiking tent

Postby crollsurf » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd steer clear of the Coleman. Either of the other two would work. I know a couple that love there Grasshooper so that would be a sure bet. The Vargo is a bit lighter and are good tents in that price range.

I think Zempire make good cheap tents. Don't know if the Zempire Zeus would be big enough. Worth a look
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Buying first hiking tent

Postby ntt » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks for the input! Looks like Zempire also makes a tent called the Trilogy which is roomier but a fair bit heaver than the Zeus.

I also just came across the Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 (http://www.adventuremegastore.com.au/eq ... e-unisex-1) which is on special at the moment. Is this one any good?
ntt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Advice for buying first hiking tent

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 7:07 am

Check out the other MH tents at that place and look at the lighter weight options first
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 8:53 am

Those MH tents are a steal at that price. The MH Drifter has duel entry which a lot of couples like but the Optic is bigger. Either way you cant go wrong at that price
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:05 am

*digression*
Quote from website mentioned above 'Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 Tent Bay Blue - Unisex' (my emphasis).

Say, what????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:48 am

Perhaps to differentiate from tents for Metrosexuals??
Any of those tents is excellent value
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 11:59 am

north-north-west wrote:*digression*
Quote from website mentioned above 'Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 Tent Bay Blue - Unisex' (my emphasis).

Say, what????? :?:

Maybe they mean sex while alone. I have no idea.

I have long preferred tents that have what many call east-west designs, so that when you sit up the vesitbules are beside you, not at the head or feet. EW means that it is easier to cook and access gear. I also like two vestibules in such tents. Apart from each person having his or her own space, in bad weather or a tight campsite, getting in or out from one side may be best. Finally, I insist on having the fly go up first, or the whole tent going up in one go. Tents that require the inner to go up first are bad in rain and snow.

Like most gear a good tent will last. Paying a bit more now will save money over time. My expensive Lowe pack was bought in 1983, still going strong, albeit patched in places. So consider paying a bit more now for a good tent that does what you want, is reliable and lasts.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Franco » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 2:15 pm

Unisex
Short for University Sex.
(they don't allow those see trough shelters for that)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 2:45 pm

north-north-west wrote:*digression*

Say, what????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Adventure Megastore lists all products as Men, Women or Unisex. It obviously applies better to clothing than it does equipment.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment