Yowies

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Yowies

Postby corvus » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 9:49 pm

As party of eight we have just completed a walk in Tassie where we needed to use Snow Shoes, traversing soft snow that was up to 1000cm deep and depressing to 20/30cm indentations for the "snow ploughs" we did alternate lead walkers.
Being Tassie some parts of our walk also entailed creek crossings and lengths of mud and slush where the track once was :shock: and the Yowies remained on our feet till we were into the decent of the Lake Bill Track, in our concerted opinion these are ideally suited to our conditions and recommend them to any prospective buyer for use in Australia.

No Connection to the maker been using them since they first finally got it together (is it 10 or 15 years) great Aussie made product ,why would you buy American made ??
c
Last edited by corvus on Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Yowies

Postby sthughes » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes I second that. As much as I hate wearing them it would have been an impossible walk without them. In some (more like most?) of the areas, especially in scrub, fallen logs, creeks etc. any other type of shoe I have seen would have been inconvienient to the point of being useless in my opinion.
Last edited by sthughes on Tue 01 Sep, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:00 pm

As one of the eight I can totally agree with Corvus' and STH's comments regarding the Yowies. We would not have been able to complete the walk without them. An advantage also is their light weight when carrying on the pack.All in all a top product. :D
ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:04 pm

Um, at risk of being thought to be ignorant :oops: what are Yowies? I thought they were something that you didn't want to meet in the bush!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:08 pm

They're an Australian-made snowshoe, Annie. You'd think they'd be called 'Bunyips' or something a little more Aussie, but . . . *shrug*

ps: I like the Denalis simply because they do them in red. Red bushwalking gear is tops.
pps: OK, boys, you've talked me into it. But they better get here while there's still some snow on the high plains.
Hmmmmm, I could spend a Sunday walking up to Wills and back. That'd be fun.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:59 pm

They are called Yowies cause they are BIG FEET. good product Aussie Made!!
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:05 pm

corvus wrote:They are called Yowies cause they are BIG FEET. good product Aussie Made!!
c

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? it sounds like an interesting trip, was it the weekend just gone, and if so, I'm curious about how you found being out in the wild weather? I walked through wild Blackmans Bay today while waiting for my car to be pronounced safe to drive home, with stinging rain blowing into my face (nice and dry inside my Wilderness Wear raincoat though) and the wind so strong I had trouble making headway at times. I'm not sure how I'd cope with walking and camping in that sort of weather.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:23 pm

Yes it was the weekend just gone and the weather was totally winter ,easy start up the hill a wee bit of snow then on the plateau a lot more so on with the Yowies and onwards and upwards from then on .
We only managed to walk 4 km+ in one day thanks to the Yowies ,without them we would still be there ,waiting for daylight today :shock:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Ent » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 9:35 am

Content deleted by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 9:54 am

Good thread.
Hope to use ours in 3 weeks on the OT.
The manufacturer has moved to near us in Geelong (seachange I believe) Good bloke, spoke to him recently and got great service for a replacement part.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment